Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Is De Wearing #97?

1959Colts

Hmm, they give playing time to some DE coming in from the streets but Jerry Hughes rides the pine?! And what happened to Freeney and Mathis today? total nonfactor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jerry is what he is, not helpful in this defensive system and maybe just not a good NFL player, but look at Maybin in the Jets uniform. Stunk in Buffalo and has really been a nice pick up in the Jets system. Alot of our defensive players look bad in our coaching/system style so I am hopeful under a new DC, Hughes can possibly show something, anything to help this team.

As far as Freeney and Mathis, pretty much a non factor in most games this year so not really new.

Hmm, they give playing time to some DE coming in from the streets but Jerry Hughes rides the pine?! And what happened to Freeney and Mathis today? total nonfactor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the QB throws in 3 seconds..your DEs are irrelevant..

We dont cover anybody until they get 5 yards off the ;line.

there's nothing freeney and Mathis can do about our non-coverage

When the QB throws in 3 seconds..your DEs are irrelevant..

We dont cover anybody until they get 5 yards off the ;line.

there's nothing freeney and Mathis can do about our non-coverage

Thanks for pointing that out. I couldn't agree more. Seven yard cushions pretty much guarantee that a QB will fire off the ball in 3 seconds and Freeney and Mathis will have little chance to get to him. That is why I think press coverage would help more.

Thanks for pointing that out. I couldn't agree more. Seven yard cushions pretty much guarantee that a QB will fire off the ball in 3 seconds and Freeney and Mathis will have little chance to get to him. That is why I think press coverage would help more.

Keep in mind press coverage isnt some magical fix. If we played press, then we would have to have both safties back to defend the deep pass because our corners are not even close to being good enough to be left on an island. This would open up even more running lanes. So instead of getting beat by the quick pass we get beat by a run game. Its pick your poison really. The defense is choosing to force the team to pass because that what it has been built to defend so it gives them the best chance to make plays. Regardless we simply do not have the talent/coaches or scheme to play solid D, no matter the coverage amount of blitzes or how many coaches we fire. We gotta tough it out the next month and look for next year.

Keep in mind press coverage isnt some magical fix. If we played press, then we would have to have both safties back to defend the deep pass because our corners are not even close to being good enough to be left on an island. This would open up even more running lanes. So instead of getting beat by the quick pass we get beat by a run game. Its pick your poison really. The defense is choosing to force the team to pass because that what it has been built to defend so it gives them the best chance to make plays. Regardless we simply do not have the talent/coaches or scheme to play solid D, no matter the coverage amount of blitzes or how many coaches we fire. We gotta tough it out the next month and look for next year.

I don't really see an easy way to grade the secondary, though, because with 7-10 yard cushions on every play, I think Revis would look bad on this defense. Who knows if they could play press or man to man better? I was thinking of that last weekend watching the Bears play and seeing how well Tim Jennings was playing. They run the same defense, conceptually, but play tighter on the WRs. But in our system, he was horrid, because he continued to be beat on those 5-7 yard passes. So I know everyone is saying we have such a horrid secondary, but I think it is much more the case of bad game planning. If you give Tom Brady 4 seconds and 5-7 yard passes all day long, he is going to kill you all day long. And that has been the same for the last 10 years. I personally cannot stand the Tampa-2 defense because I believe with the move to more spread offenses and short passes, teams with solid QBs just eat it up.

You are right...but cant we switch up defenses...Press coverage on first down occasionally...?

disguise it at the snap...we do little of that...

Apparently you dont blitz much in the Tampa 2..at least we dont

..but the way Angerer drops its almost a Tampa 3...and Tim Tebow would throw for 300 yards against that...