Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mallett time? Update: Fitzpatrick benched (merge)

dw49

Ahhh I see what you're saying now.

What's really crazy is that it moves the Colts past 10 teams but only moves the texans past I think 3 teams.

But as you say , you can't rate a defense on total yards given up. It's just a stat with some meaning but it for sure is limited. No question Houston has some really good talent of the defensive side of the ball. Maybe the coaching needs to be a hair better , maybe they've had a few injuries at the wrong time , etc etc. It's also how you match up and who you've played. On and on and on. Bottom line it's crazy to use such a small sample size and make a judgment on just yards given up. You're much better off trusting what you see on the playing field .

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's really crazy is that it moves the Colts past 10 teams but only moves the texans past I think 3 teams.

But as you say , you can't rate a defense on total yards given up. It's just a stat with some meaning but it for sure is limited. No question Houston has some really good talent of the defensive side of the ball. Maybe the coaching needs to be a hair better , maybe they've had a few injuries at the wrong time , etc etc. It's also how you match up and who you've played. On and on and on. Bottom line it's crazy to use such a small sample size and make a judgment on just yards given up. You're much better off trusting what you see on the playing field .

Yeah.  What it means is that teams move the ball very easily against you.  It's not a good thing to give up the most yards in the NFL, and certainly is not a sign of an "excellent" team.

I mean, say something at least plausible, like if they had the right QB they might be a wildcard contendor.  But to say a 4-5 team with numerous, obvious holes that are harped on every single day by local media such as Nick Wright, John Lopez, Rich Lord, Seth Payne, Ted Johnson, etc, is "excellent" is ignorant, irresponsible, inaccurate and deserves mockery.

Yeah.  What it means is that teams move the ball very easily against you.  It's not a good thing to give up the most yards in the NFL, and certainly is not a sign of an "excellent" team.

I mean, say something at least plausible, like if they had the right QB they might be a wildcard contendor.  But to say a 4-5 team with numerous, obvious holes that are harped on every single day by local media such as Nick Wright, John Lopez, Rich Lord, Seth Payne, Ted Johnson, etc, is "excellent" is ignorant, irresponsible, inaccurate and deserves mockery.

What i said was using "total yards " as a yardstick is flawed to begin with as many teams have played a game less. So do you understand that (you must use "yards per game) or do I need to expound on that ? Secondly I said you really can't use the average yards given up per game as the only stat in rating a team's D. Why didn't you mention that they are 11th in points given up per game ? Middle of the pack on sacks and ints. 

That said , I really don't have any problem with what you're saying about them being an "excellent team." Although they have more than their share of very good players , I agree they have holes. Big one at QB and I don't like the secondary at all. Overall I think they are an OK team and with a middle of the road QB they could be 9-7 or so. There really is no point in anyone saying the words "an excellent team" and following those words by saying Houston.