Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Belichick: Peyton is the best I've coached against

Blue Horseshoe

When Bill retires & gets inducted into the HOF, I want to hear him talk about his cold weather philosophy. Feeding the RB with more carries is obvious naturally. But, how do you counteract the effects of wind, rain, & snow? Is there something a QB can do to put a different spin on the ball? Do you take short, choppy steps in snow for better traction? Or is a wider base recommended for a better throw? Even in a bad weather game, a QB must take calculated shots down field periodically to win the game. What does Bill fear the most sleet, snow, rain, or fog? For me, it's fog because it screws up your depth perception making distance hard to see let alone calculate 1st downs in if the fog is thick enough.

Did you sleep tonight buddy :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you sleep tonight buddy :)

LOL! My computer is always on & usually 1 window is open to the forum, but that doesn't necessarily mean I am always paying attention to the thread at hand or even actively online. 

To answer your question, I'm nocturnal by nature but I will get some shut eye now. Thanks for asking though Shane. Go Colts! Go Broncos! 

Offense wins games but not championships. That was my point - BB would have lessened that offense some for defense and ST.

Why would he lessen the offense? The point is to score points which the Indy offense has been great at historically and also the best offense for Manning to run. When he tried to run a different offense at the start of his career in Denver it didn't work and he switched over to the Indy offense in the Atlanta game. I don't think Bill would touch the Indy O but for sure it would not have the same star power so he could focus on building up the bottom third of the roster. ;)

When Bill retires & gets inducted into the HOF, I want to hear him talk about his cold weather philosophy. Feeding the RB with more carries is obvious naturally. But, how do you counteract the effects of wind, rain, & snow? Is there something a QB can do to put a different spin on the ball? Do you take short, choppy steps in snow for better traction? Or is a wider base recommended for a better throw? Even in a bad weather game, a QB must take calculated shots down field periodically to win the game. What does Bill fear the most sleet, snow, rain, or fog? For me, it's fog because it screws up your depth perception making distance hard to see let alone calculate 1st downs in if the fog is thick enough. 

He did answer this after last year's Denver's game. He was asked why Brady plays so well in wind specifically as that is the hardest element to overcome when throwing the ball. He said it is because Brady has a very tight spiral that cuts through the wind and keeps the ball on target with good velocity.

He doesn't fear much:) But the wind is the big factor and more so in the kicking game for him as he is obsessed with field position. Snow he taught Brady to throw across the field because you can't see downfield. That's what Brady did in those two blow out games in blizzard conditions- Tenn & Chicago where they scored 50 pts or so.. That really stood out to be and I found interesting. Other teams were still trying to throw downfield.

He did answer this after last year's Denver's game. He was asked why Brady plays so well in wind specifically as that is the hardest element to overcome when throwing the ball. He said it is because Brady has a very tight spiral that cuts through the wind and keeps the ball on target with good velocity.

That's true.

Why would he lessen the offense? The point is to score points which the Indy offense has been great at historically and also the best offense for Manning to run. When he tried to run a different offense at the start of his career in Denver it didn't work and he switched over to the Indy offense in the Atlanta game. I don't think Bill would touch the Indy O but for sure it would not have the same star power so he could focus on building up the bottom third of the roster. ;)

Well if there was no cap he wouldn't :)

2003 Indy had a very good defense. Then Polian let Washington and (can't think of the other LB) which was their staple for defense. They never got replaced. Instead Dungy went for the small fast swarm the ball defense. It's great when it connects but when it doesn't the opponent blows through which happened most of the time.

I went to the 04 playoff game and was in the 7th row. When I saw NE defense in warm up compared to the colts I said to myself- good lord look how big NE is up close in person. They'll win in that alone.