Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maybe Trade for 49ers Corey Lemonier

lennymoore24

I dont think Grigs is trying to give away too many picks, Given the cap situation and the need to resign Luck, Hilton, Allen and Fleener. he will want to build through the draft. Now if they are willing to part with a conditional late round pick maybe a 6th or 7th im all for it..

Our pass rush is not the primary problem so much as our inability to cover the flats. Anytime Ben was pressured he simply dumped the ball to a RB or TE. Sure there were times when our pass rush looked really bad, but it does not mean that the DL or OLB'ers are solely to blame.

I blame our weak secondary, albeit minus Davis and Landry, they looked very unorganized. We need a better # 2 if the drop off is this huge from him being a #1. Gordy certainly wasn't ready to fill in either. The safeties also did us no favors in coverage. Their horrible coverage combined with Ben's savviness virtually eliminated our ability to create pressure. You can't get away with this against QB's of his caliber.

Thankfully Vontae's MRI is negative.

Our pass rush is not the primary problem so much as our inability to cover the flats. Anytime Ben was pressured he simply dumped the ball to a RB or TE. Sure there were times when our pass rush looked really bad, but it does not mean that the DL or OLB'ers are solely to blame.

I blame our weak secondary, albeit minus Davis and Landry, they looked very unorganized. We need a better # 2 if the drop off is this huge from him being a #1. Gordy certainly wasn't ready to fill in either. The safeties also did us no favors in coverage. Their horrible coverage combined with Ben's savviness virtually eliminated our ability to create pressure. You can't get away with this against QB's of his caliber.

Thankfully Vontae's MRI is negative.

I disagree.

When you let the QB have three or four seconds to scan the field, your coverage is gradually being sucked away from the line of scrimmage, like the tide before a big wave. The flats are going to be tough to cover in that situation. The problem starts with inability to pressure the QB. 

Of course, you're right, we're vulnerable in the flats and across the middle of the field. But I have the opposite viewpoint. If you pressure the QB -- like we did against the Bengals -- then it's a thousand times easier to cover the flats (and the rest of the field, for that matter). Good pass defense starts with strong, consistent pass rush. That takes pressure off of your cover guys, and makes it easier to make plays on the ball. Good coverage is important, also, but even good coverage is neutralized when the QB has all day to throw.

For instance, Antonio Brown's big play across the middle of the field. At first, you think Toler was just burned, but Toler covered Brown's initial move, his second move, and his third move. It wasn't until Brown came across the field -- after about five seconds -- that Toler got beat. To me, that's good coverage, but it was defeated by a non-existent pass rush.

I disagree.

When you let the QB have three or four seconds to scan the field, your coverage is gradually being sucked away from the line of scrimmage, like the tide before a big wave. The flats are going to be tough to cover in that situation. The problem starts with inability to pressure the QB.

Of course, you're right, we're vulnerable in the flats and across the middle of the field. But I have the opposite viewpoint. If you pressure the QB -- like we did against the Bengals -- then it's a thousand times easier to cover the flats (and the rest of the field, for that matter). Good pass defense starts with strong, consistent pass rush. That takes pressure off of your cover guys, and makes it easier to make plays on the ball. Good coverage is important, also, but even good coverage is neutralized when the QB has all day to throw.

For instance, Antonio Brown's big play across the middle of the field. At first, you think Toler was just burned, but Toler covered Brown's initial move, his second move, and his third move. It wasn't until Brown came across the field -- after about five seconds -- that Toler got beat. To me, that's good coverage, but it was defeated by a non-existent pass rush.

I think you make a lot of fair points. Ben certainly had time to throw it on more than a few occasions but there were other instances where he released the ball very quickly.

We don't need to add anyone in Week 9. I think our roster is what it is at this point, for better or worse. 

I think we'll get improvement from Werner and Newsome, and hopefully Walden doesn't miss much time, and the defensive linemen can go back to getting some push, and the pass rush will be better than it was yesterday for the rest of the year. But we're not going to get some radical infusion of talent halfway through the season. I don't think it's in the cards.

Now watch Grigson give up a second rounder for pass rusher tomorrow morning...