Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Of You Need To Come To Grips With The Fact That Manning Won't Play Forever

objectivecoltsfan

Today's #1 picks play early because usually, their teams desparately need a huge up-grade at that position and can't afford to let them sit. The Colts are in the enviable position of being able to draft a first round QB and allow him to sit behind a HOF'er.

Ding ding ding ding ding......... Who was going to start over Cam Newton? Jimmy Clausen? Who was going to start over Sam Bradford? AJ Feeley? Who was going to start over Matt Stafford? Daunte Culpepper? Who was going to start over Matt Ryan? Chris Redman?

With that being said, taking a QB with the 1st pick will mean we will have a lot of money tied up in our quarterbacks.

Good OP. I think that accepting that Peyton can't play forever is the first step. Then one can begin to consider other possibilities. I like Peyton too. I want him to retire a Colt, but it has to make sense for the team. The level of sentimentality on this board makes about half the posts unreadable concerning this topic.

Very true,they act like it's guaranteed another 4 years.Delusional,he has a neck issue too which means he may never be top notch again if he does come back.This is a QB league end of story.Sucking is gonna lead us to more future prosperity,be thankful for our fortune we can draft a Luck.

Ding ding ding ding ding......... Who was going to start over Cam Newton? Jimmy Clausen? Who was going to start over Sam Bradford? AJ Feeley? Who was going to start over Matt Stafford? Daunte Culpepper? Who was going to start over Matt Ryan? Chris Redman?

With that being said, taking a QB with the 1st pick will mean we will have a lot of money tied up in our quarterbacks.

rookie salary cap

Because todays #1 or #2 picks, expecially QBs don't sit a couple of years, they start right away. Don't say A.Rodgers, he was the 24th overall pick, big difference.

Bad comparison.How many teams with the 1 pick have an aging superstar QB that is among the best ever.Has never happened,different circumstances.

Yes it will be cheaper than in the past but it's still a lot of money to have tied up in the QB position.

And aren't you the guy from the IlliniHQ forum? LOL

uhhhhhh.....Illini forum.I don't know what you are talking about,lol.Yeah,I ,got to do something while I am unemployed,watching my daughter watch Blue's Clues all day. :D And before you all tell me I need to be looking for a job I am.

No doubt, we have been down the 4 game 4 million road already, besides we don't need a 3rd bad quarterback.

That's true. Football is a game/business where millions of dollars are spent every day, but we have to remember that it isn't Monopoly money. You don't want to through down a few million on a guy who might help. You have to know for sure.

Who even started the whole "You guys act like Manning will play forever. Well he won't so that's why NEED to draft Andrew Luck this year." Yes, we all know he won't play forever. Where you even get that idea is beyond me. It's pretty shallow and just an excuse for you to use so you can back up your explanation as to why we will draft Luck. There are more QBs than just Luck who can be pretty successful in the NFL.

Who even started the whole "You guys act like Manning will play forever. Well he won't so that's why NEED to draft Andrew Luck this year." Yes, we all know he won't play forever. Where you even get that idea is beyond me. It's pretty shallow and just an excuse for you to use so you can back up your explanation as to why we will draft Luck. There are more QBs than just Luck who can be pretty successful in the NFL.

If you would actually read the thread before posting you would understand that this isn't about Luck or Barkley or RG3 or Landry Jones. It's about the delusion that many here are under that Manning is immortal. It's about those that get offended at the thought of a quarterback not named Manning starting for the Colts. The fact is that we don't know whether Manning will ever play again, and if he does, we have no idea how effective he will be and even with that knowledge (or lack thereof) some people think that drafting a QB this year is completely outrageous.

Manning deserves respect, he deserves the right to play as long as he wants as long as it benefits the organization and right now we don't know if he will even get the chance to ever play again. Maybe he will be fine and play at a high level for another 3 years, but then in 3 years we will be right back in the situation of having to draft a QB. The time is coming, and with all the uncertainty around Manning, now might be the time to prepare for his departure because this team cannot go though another worthless season like we are right now. Nothing has been gained this season. If we are trying to develop a quarterback of the future and we are 0-10, then you could argue that something has been gained, but this season has been completely lost because Manning isn't playing. The Colts should not allow Manning to hold the franchise hostage (even though he would never do that intentionally) so we lose another season knowing that he might not be able to play.

If you would actually read the thread before posting you would understand that this isn't about Luck or Barkley or RG3 or Landry Jones. It's about the delusion that many here are under that Manning is immortal. It's about those that get offended at the thought of a quarterback not named Manning starting for the Colts. The fact is that we don't know whether Manning will ever play again, and if he does, we have no idea how effective he will be and even with that knowledge (or lack thereof) some people think that drafting a QB this year is completely outrageous.

Manning deserves respect, he deserves the right to play as long as he wants as long as it benefits the organization and right now we don't know if he will even get the chance to ever play again. Maybe he will be fine and play at a high level for another 3 years, but then in 3 years we will be right back in the situation of having to draft a QB. The time is coming, and with all the uncertainty around Manning, now might be the time to prepare for his departure because this team cannot go though another worthless season like we are right now. Nothing has been gained this season. If we are trying to develop a quarterback of the future and we are 0-10, then you could argue that something has been gained, but this season has been completely lost because Manning isn't playing. The Colts should not allow Manning to hold the franchise hostage (even though he would never do that intentionally) so we lose another season knowing that he might not be able to play.

In a perfect world you might be right, but it's not and this is a business. Peyton Manning has done a ton for both the city and the team but he has also been very well paid and had good talent placed around him and been to 2 superbowls, not something all NFL players get. The Colts need to do what is in the best interest of the franchise and not Peyton. The Colts are going to be here for decades....Peyton maybe a season or two more at best...

In a perfect world you might be right, but it's not and this is a business. Peyton Manning has done a ton for both the city and the team but he has also been very well paid and had good talent placed around him and been to 2 superbowls, not something all NFL players get. The Colts need to do what is in the best interest of the franchise and not Peyton. The Colts are going to be here for decades....Peyton maybe a season or two more at best...

That's pretty much exactly what I said.