Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Gone?

manningstheman

If Peyton actually has 4 more years, his replacement may not even be in college yet. A player we haven't heard of yet could end up being an even better prospect than Luck. We just don't know.

Replacement comes out of IU in 3-4 yrs? Agree many tough decision to be made, but did I miss where PM retired or declared unfit to ever play again. The timing of this just sucks. There are some 40 players in the NFL with the same procedure, or at least according to TV which is always right...including Hayden last Feb. If the FO just listened to fans, we would have taken Leaf over PM. Granted dont think Luck is a head case, but end of the day, there are no guarantees anyone can make it the next level. Brady was a 12th rounder, Arian foster UDFA(I think) as was Brackett. Dont need to be a number one to have success. Media hype is no guarantee of success. Look at all the HT winners that have flopped

Let me see if I got this right, cause I'm a bit slow right now. We have a bad season this year. Loss after Loss. Defense is playing flat and the offense couldn't find the endzone with turn by turn navigation. Our solution? Fire the Head Coach, fire the GM, trade Manning, trade Freeny, trade Mathis, trade Clark, trade Wayne, draft a snot nosed kid from college and spend a ton of money on him, scramble to fill the void of the other missing players by picking up some has beens from free agency, complain some more next season when this plan fails. Do I have that right or am I missing something?

I don't think getting rid of the current team and coaching staff will solve anything. In my opinion, it will only make matters worse. I agree that some changes need to be made in personnel, but not at the level you all are speaking about. If anything, we need to fix our offensive line. Over the past two seasons, they have been getting pushed around. We need to fix our defensive secondary and our linebackers could be revamped. I know a lot of you all are looking into the 'future' but let's be realistic about things. Say we do trade Manning. Do you really want to see him in a Jacksonville, Houston, or Tennessee jersey? I don't. Keep Manning on the team until he can't play anymore. The same goes for Freeny and Mathis. Could you imagine those two harassing our QB? And what's his face is not going to perform like Cam Newton, so stop singing him high praises. That will only empty the team's wallet on signing day.

In closing, lets stand by our team and stop bad mouthing them. We've had nine great seasons and appeared in the super bowl twice. It is our turn to be on the losing end. The biggest challenge will be learning from it and moving forward.

-Go Colts

With a lot of the hype and hysteria over Luck in the media (and with some fans) you would think that Luck is the last franchise quarterback who will ever be available.

If Peyton actually has 4 more years, his replacement may not even be in college yet. A player we haven't heard of yet could end up being an even better prospect than Luck. We just don't know.

Not the last, but when is the last time a QB has been regarded this much as a "can't miss"? Manning's days are numbered, no matter what happens with the neck.

I'd rather take a top QB when you have the chance than to HOPE another will come and if they do, you'll be able to pick him.

I compare this very much to the year we took manning. We could have traded the pick and "stocked up" for Harbaugh. But YOU DON'T pass on a top QB.

Look at the teams who are successful year in and year out, they almost all have top QBs. yea, you'll find an "acorn" once in a while in later rounds (brady) but this almost never happens.

If we trade the 1st pick and wait on a QB, we won't (by odds) get as good of one and that decision will define this team going forward much like the mayflower vans have for years. (not a good thing)

I just don't get how some people think we'll "find" another QB of this caliber. It ain't gonna happen. Sorry.

A top QB can make up for other deficiencies, we Colt fans, of all people, should UNDERSTAND that.

That's not what you said in your original post. As Jim Irsay says, it's not one or the other, we could possibly keep Manning and draft a QB number 1 overall. No on in their right mind thinks that Luck or Barkley could come in here next year and take this joke of a team to the playoffs, but at some point we are going to need to draft a QB to take us in a new direction. Even if they clear Manning to play next year, I still think we need to draft a QB. Manning is going to be 36 years old, and he would be coming off his 3rd neck surgery. He is one good hit from being done.

In my original post I was talking about the next season. Everyone seems to think that everything is going to be ok if we just draft a good college QB. I dont have to tell you that many a NFL team have picked the next big thing out of college and it didnt work out for them. Thats why I was saying to calm down. Peyton will be back. I am not a doctor or do I have inside information. I feel that if Peyton really didnt feel he was able to come back he would have made a point to make it public by now. Obviously, all the doctors around him believe he is going to be able to proform at a high level still. Also, I never said we shouldnt draft a Luck or Barkley. Infact, the colts would be silly not to. If kid that gets drafted decides that Indy isnt the place for him, then trade him for every last thing we can get out of them. I dont believe Peyton is going to play more then a two or three more years. I believe he will restructure his contract also. But, for next year, Petyon will be taking snaps for the Colts. IMHO.

Replacement comes out of IU in 3-4 yrs? Agree many tough decision to be made, but did I miss where PM retired or declared unfit to ever play again. The timing of this just sucks. There are some 40 players in the NFL with the same procedure, or at least according to TV which is always right...including Hayden last Feb. If the FO just listened to fans, we would have taken Leaf over PM. Granted dont think Luck is a head case, but end of the day, there are no guarantees anyone can make it the next level. Brady was a 12th rounder, Arian foster UDFA(I think) as was Brackett. Dont need to be a number one to have success. Media hype is no guarantee of success. Look at all the HT winners that have flopped

\

If you mean the kid out of Columbus South,or whatever, then no. He has dropped his commitment to IU.

Not the last, but when is the last time a QB has been regarded this much as a "can't miss"? Manning's days are numbered, no matter what happens with the neck.

I'd rather take a top QB when you have the chance than to HOPE another will come and if they do, you'll be able to pick him.

I compare this very much to the year we took manning. We could have traded the pick and "stocked up" for Harbaugh. But YOU DON'T pass on a top QB.

Look at the teams who are successful year in and year out, they almost all have top QBs. yea, you'll find an "acorn" once in a while in later rounds (brady) but this almost never happens.

If we trade the 1st pick and wait on a QB, we won't (by odds) get as good of one and that decision will define this team going forward much like the mayflower vans have for years. (not a good thing)

I just don't get how some people think we'll "find" another QB of this caliber. It ain't gonna happen. Sorry.

A top QB can make up for other deficiencies, we Colt fans, of all people, should UNDERSTAND that.

I believe that Bradford was the no miss QB a few years ago, he just got hurt. I believe it was the last game of the year too. But even after that, everyone was saying he is a no miss star. He has played ok in the league. But, no superstar yet.

In my original post I was talking about the next season. Everyone seems to think that everything is going to be ok if we just draft a good college QB. I dont have to tell you that many a NFL team have picked the next big thing out of college and it didnt work out for them. Thats why I was saying to calm down. Peyton will be back. I am not a doctor or do I have inside information. I feel that if Peyton really didnt feel he was able to come back he would have made a point to make it public by now. Obviously, all the doctors around him believe he is going to be able to proform at a high level still. Also, I never said we shouldnt draft a Luck or Barkley. Infact, the colts would be silly not to. If kid that gets drafted decides that Indy isnt the place for him, then trade him for every last thing we can get out of them. I dont believe Peyton is going to play more then a two or three more years. I believe he will restructure his contract also. But, for next year, Petyon will be taking snaps for the Colts. IMHO.

Where are you getting this information that doctors are saying he is going to be able to play at a high level again?

Where are you getting this information that doctors are saying he is going to be able to play at a high level again?

email-card-title.png Friend(s) Email Your Email Send Email

• By NFL.com Wire Reports

More Columns >

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning's doctors say his third neck surgery in 19 months went "very well, without complication" and that his prognosis for recovery is good.

The surgeons who performed Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning's third neck operation in 19 months say the operation "very well, without complication" and that the prognosis on his recovery is good, the Associated Press reports.

Los Angeles-based father and son doctors Robert Watkins Sr. and Robert Watkins Jr. of Watkins Spine performed the procedure at Marina Del Rey Hospital.

sounds good to me. I think he can perform.

email-card-title.png Friend(s) Email Your Email Send Email

• By NFL.com Wire Reports

More Columns >

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning's doctors say his third neck surgery in 19 months went "very well, without complication" and that his prognosis for recovery is good.

The surgeons who performed Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning's third neck operation in 19 months say the operation "very well, without complication" and that the prognosis on his recovery is good, the Associated Press reports.

Los Angeles-based father and son doctors Robert Watkins Sr. and Robert Watkins Jr. of Watkins Spine performed the procedure at Marina Del Rey Hospital.

sounds good to me. I think he can perform.

Worthless quote from his surgeons. Great, so with two surgeons operating on a wealthy celebrity they managed to not have a complication in an extremely safe procedure with an expected low complication rate.

It is impossible to fix a cervical nerve, one "fixes" nerve compression. Let's just wait and see.

Worthless quote from his surgeons. Great, so with two surgeons operating on a wealthy celebrity they managed to not have a complication in an extremely safe procedure with an expected low complication rate.

It is impossible to fix a cervical nerve, one "fixes" nerve compression. Let's just wait and see.

Man, So I take you as a glass half fun kind of guy. lol.

I'm thinking the same thing. Nowhere in either of those articles does it say that they expect him to perform at a high level. The fact is no one knows and the only one who can tell is Peyton. Based on his last "update to the media" earlier this month I would say it doesn't sound good based on what he said. He basically said he was still having the same issue as he did before the surgery with the nerve not regenerating. Sure the vertebrae has been fixed but the nerve is now the real issue with him returning. Anyone saying that he will or will not come back is a complete guess because at this point only Peyton can tell if that nerve is coming back.

With a lot of the hype and hysteria over Luck in the media (and with some fans) you would think that Luck is the last franchise quarterback who will ever be available.

Yeah. It seems like people think Luck is going to be the last franchise qb to come out of college EVER. If peyton comes back and plays 3-4 more years, why not keep trading back the pick into next year drafts and snag a franchise qb in say oo idk 2013 or 2014 draft. That way the new rookie qb will come in and play immdediately, not waste a year or two of #1 ovr talent.