Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson talks about the team's approach to injuries

Superman

I'd agree more if you inserted the word 'some' or 'most' in there. I believe there is a skill set to reducing injuries, and one is in training camp being at optimal weight and in shape (not necessarily game shape) to start camp. Pete Carrol and Seahawks sent a loud message about this and waive/injured Michael Bowie-

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/7559/waiving-bowie-sent-a-message

I like that they are studying things more and trying to reduce injuries more. Seems to be so many soft tissue injuries already this year, and preseason is just beginning.

What you say is true. But I'm talking about injuries from collisions, guys getting rolled up on or twisting their legs, etc. You can be in great shape and have the most studious and diligent medical staff, but you can't do anything about that.

What you say is true. But I'm talking about injuries from collisions, guys getting rolled up on or twisting their legs, etc. You can be in great shape and have the most studious and diligent medical staff, but you can't do anything about that.

Agree too, that's why the some or most qualifier.  But I do feel there are more Michael Bowie's out there than we know about that get injured and held on to until the team can IR them... and the guy(s) just lost a physical battle causing season ending injury; specifically because the came in fat, plump, not ready to play.

Help me understand the role that Methodist Sports Medicine plays in caring for Colts players. To me, it's limited to evaluating injured players, performing and reading scans, performing operations, and clearing them for football activity. They may also be responsible for rehab of injured players.

If I'm right, they have nothing to do with the rash of injuries. Looking at them regarding the recovery of injured players is reasonable, but I think our major problem is the occurrence of injuries to begin with, not the re-occurrence of injuries. We're dismayed because our guys get hurt, not because they keep getting hurt. There are only a couple of repeat injuries, and even though they are players we anticipated major contributions from, by themselves, they don't represent a major percentage of our players.

One, I disagree with the premise the complaint is with injured players not reinjured.  Look at this offseason... Thomas reinjured his quad, Toler last year was held out forever and when he finally came back he reinjured his hammy, Angerer kept having the same nagging injury, this list goes on.

It's my understanding that not only do they do the things you mentioned but also work with the training staff/strength and conditioning staff to develop the programs and rehab and normal workout routines that help strengthen and protect the hands, feet, shoulders, joints, etc.

Dungy gave them credit when the Colts won the SB, it seems fitting that they deserve some of the blame when injuries take their toll on the team, especially players getting injured over and over again.

I will read your response but we are starting to go in circles on this thread.   

One, I disagree with the premise the complaint is with injured players not reinjured.  Look at this offseason... Thomas reinjured his quad, Toler last year was held out forever and when he finally came back he reinjured his hammy, Angerer kept having the same nagging injury, this list goes on.

It's my understanding that not only do they do the things you mentioned but also work with the training staff/strength and conditioning staff to develop the programs and rehab and normal workout routines that help strengthen and protect the hands, feet, shoulders, joints, etc.

Dungy gave them credit when the Colts won the SB, it seems fitting that they deserve some of the blame when injuries take their toll on the team, especially players getting injured over and over again.

I will read your response but we are starting to go in circles on this thread.   

I'll give you Thomas, but again, that's one guy. And it's a tricky recovery.

Toler had a groin injury. Once it was revealed what he was actually dealing with last year, it's hard to be critical of his recovery. He needed surgery, put it off so that he could try to get back last year, and it just never healed. That's probably an instance of the player going against the doctors recommendation. And again, that's a tricky recovery.

Angerer also tried to play through injury, and eventually was shut down. But he didn't have the same injury over and over. He had a foot injury, then an ACL, and after last season, he had microfracture surgery. 

I agree with what you said earlier about reviewing your entire program, and trying to identify problems and then solve them. In line with that, the Colts have made major adjustments to the weight lifting program, and to the approach to rest and recovery. There are a dozen other things you can look at, and I think they should look at all of them, in sequence. 

I'll give you Thomas, but again, that's one guy. And it's a tricky recovery.

Toler had a groin injury. Once it was revealed what he was actually dealing with last year, it's hard to be critical of his recovery. He needed surgery, put it off so that he could try to get back last year, and it just never healed. That's probably an instance of the player going against the doctors recommendation. And again, that's a tricky recovery.

Angerer also tried to play through injury, and eventually was shut down. But he didn't have the same injury over and over. He had a foot injury, then an ACL, and after last season, he had microfracture surgery. 

I agree with what you said earlier about reviewing your entire program, and trying to identify problems and then solve them. In line with that, the Colts have made major adjustments to the weight lifting program, and to the approach to rest and recovery. There are a dozen other things you can look at, and I think they should look at all of them, in sequence. 

Good stuff Superman.