Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't retire #88

BProland85

My grandfather fought in the trenches in WW1, he was shot at by IRA snipers, his street was bombed by the Germans in WW2, and he survived many years of the Lucille Ball show in the 60's. He retired. Stop this pathetic ritual of retiring stupid football jersey numbers. It's just silly.

your grandfather was awesome, but none of that is relevant

the packers are getting ready to annouce they are retiring number 4. Irsay has said 18 is unofficially (and I am sure will be made official) 18 is retired here. Other teams have retired several numbers in recent years. So I don't think there is any kind of ban on retiring numbers it's just reserved for the elite of the elite for most teams.

I wll say this other than Peyton no Indianapolis Colt deserves it more than Marvin. As a fanbase as a whole I think we have kinda forgotten just how good he was. He's top five all time if not top three at his position in league history and you could argue is the third best Colt of all time behind Manning and Johnny U.

Mackey should have had it retired for him before Marvin got it but that's not Marvin's fault. I think they should retire it for both men. Bring Mackey's family in along with Marvin and do it.

From a Baltimore perspective , we have no problem with Harrison's number being retired. John Mackey is already in the Raven's Ring of Honor with the rest of the Baltimore Colt Hall of Famers , so I think his family is aptly satisfied with that. Although he's technically part of the Colts franchise, when you think about it, no one in Indy celebrates the old Colts with Championship banners being hung, or other celebrations . I know occasionally some Bert Jones era guys show up who were friends with Jim Irsay, or Ray Berry once for a coin flip, but I think most current Indy Colt fans are more interested in # 88 Marvin Harrison, then # 88 John Mackey.

I am split on retiring numbers. I think that player's should be honored by having their number in the rafters, but not letting someone else wear it is pushing it. I think very select few elites of the hall of fame (Peyton Manning down the road, for example) should have their number retired, while other hall of famers like Marvin and his 88 should "just" be honored.