Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck

a06cc

Did you watch this team's interior line play last season?

I promise you IF Indy can get some linemen in the game that can just stand their ground Indy's O will be off the HOOK.  

NO QB will do squat if they are running for life from the get go.....    NOT ONE.   How many times did AL just drop back and look around like like Brady?       Indy's line is letting him down.        And he WANTS to go down field.

Oh well ...  JMO

I agree about the line to an extent but honestly the great QBs are able to overcome that. That is what makes them great. Luck holds the ball too long and needs to not look down field as much and take what the defense is giving him. It is easy to look at guys like Brady and Manning and say they have all day out there but both of them are tops in the league in terms of getting rid of the ball the fastest from snap to receiver. I think Luck will get there but this blaming of the Oline is too much IMO. He needs to improve as well.

The good: Luck was by and large phenomenal in 2012 and better in 2013. Luck is athletic, throws a great deep ball, and he is great in the clutch. All of those skills have been put to the test playing on a team that still carries much of the problems with it from it's recent 2-14 season. With major pass protection problems and underwhelming weapons (by last year's end) winning 11 games plus 1 in the playoffs is a fantastic result, especially because the defense by and large was very inconsistent. Putting up wins against the leagues best teams, teams that have strong defenses like Seattle, San Francisco, and Denver was huge.

The bad: Luck still had some decision making lapses. A few of the playoff interceptions Luck threw were flukes - balls that bounced off of the hands of his own receivers, plays that actually should have been receptions rather than picks. Of no fault to Luck. But some of them were his own fault, trying to force throws that he shouldn't. He could stand to cut down on these errors. If we could provide a good pass protection for him than that will automatically help somewhat in this regard.

The defense was more than inconsistant they sucked.

But some of them were his own fault, trying to force throws that he shouldn't. He could stand to cut down on these errors. If we could provide a good pass protection for him than that will automatically help somewhat in this regard.

Problem was; we were down by several points and he had no choice but to start forcing balls. We needed points and we needed them quickly. This leads to interceptions; even by the greats.

The answer is to play better defense so we are not down by 21-28 points. 

It will not be a miracle that Luck throws fewer interceptions once we start playing better defense. But the pundits and talking heads will say he has suddenly improved.

Problem was; we were down by several points and he had no choice but to start forcing balls. We needed points and we needed them quickly. This leads to interceptions; even by the greats.

The answer is to play better defense so we are not down by 21-28 points. 

It will not be a miracle that Luck throws fewer interceptions once we start playing better defense. But the pundits and talking heads will say he has suddenly improved.

I agree to some extent. In addition I think the playoff interception thing is mostly bunk. Probably 2 or 3 of the 7 picks should have been complete passes but bounced off the receiver into the defender. Flukes. Picks are as you say more likely to add up when you throw over 40 times in a game and are trailing. But against New England he threw a pick on the opening drive, for example. Personally I believe Luck is the best QB in the NFL, For the record I think last year's team without Luck on the roster is pretty bad. We were left with a terrible interior O-line, a weak defense, and 2 of our leading pass catchers injured. Without exceptional QB play that doesn't translate to anything even close to a divisional round playoff appearance.