Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chelse_fc Offseason Mock 3.0 (pre-FA edition)

Colts 2014 Free Agency and Draft:

2014 Cap Space:                $40,487,024

CUT:

• Sampson Satele, C  (Save $4 million from cap)

Adjusted Cap Space:      $44,487,024

RESIGNING’S:

• Vontae Davis, CB (5 year/40 million)
  • Pat McAfee, P (4 year/10 million)
  • Sergio Brown, S/ST (4 year/3 million)
  • Ahmad Bradshaw, RB (1 year/1.5 million)
  • Adam Vinatieri, K (2 year/7 million)
  • Joe Reitz, LT (2 year/1.5 million)
  • Chris Rainey, RB (1 year/750k)

SIGNINGS:

• TJ Ward, FS (5 year/33 million)
  • Geoff Shwartz (5 year/15 million)
  • Joe Hawley, C (4 year/13 million)
  • Linval Joseph, DT (3 year/12 million)
  • Walter Thurmond, CB (3 year/8 million, nothing guaranteed)

After Structuring Contracts:  $12-15 million leftover

DRAFT:

Round 2:  Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville, 6’3” 251 lbs.

• AAC Defensive Player of the Year, recorded 14.5 sacks.  Excels in rushing the passer and has long arms (34 inches), very athletic linebacker.  Has very good body control and is able to set the edge well and force the running back inside.  Mathis is not going to be around forever and Smith and Werner could be a dynamic set of OLB’s.

Round 3:  Preston Brown, ILB, Louisville, 6’1” 251 lbs.

• (Honestly except for watching game tapes on Marcus and Preston, I have never watched a Louisville game, so don’t label me a homer because I’ve picked these 2.  I have just come away that impressed when watching both of them play.)  Preston had a good combine and going back and watching his game tape, I just do not think he’ll last til the 5th.  Good size for an ILB, has long arms (33 ½ inches).  Dissects plays well and can shed lineman and fight through traffic to get to the QB or ball carrier, also can drop back into coverage.

Round 5:  Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty, 6’1”  205 lbs.

• Great sized, strong press corner.  Transferred from Illinois. Fast and can stay with the WR all the way down the field, good tackler and has good instincts.  Good run support.  I think this could be a sleeper pick and really good value for the position were picking in.

Round 6:  Alden Darby, FS, Arizona St., 5’10”  192 lbs.

• Small for a safety, but where he catches your eye is that he excels in coverage.  We already have a linebacker that can come up and be an in-the-box safety, where the Colts got hurt last year was the fact that neither safety could cover, and that is where Darby comes into play.  He has good recognition and can go up and make a play on the ball.

Round 7:  Zach Kerr, NT, Delaware, 6’1”  326 lbs.

• Solid NT to rotate with Chapman, would be a cheaper option than bringing in another NT in FA.  Collapses the pocket well and has good quickness for a guy his size.  Has the ability to get to the QB and can handle and split double teams.

2014 ROSTER:

OFFENSE (24)

QB – Andrew Luck, Matt Hasselbeck

HB – Vick Ballard, Trent Richardson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Chris Rainey

FB – Stanley Havili

WR – Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Da’Rick Rogers, Griff Whalen, Lavon Brazill

TE – Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Weslye Saunders

LT – Anthony Castonzo, Joe Reitz

LG – Donald Thomas, Xavier Nixon

C – Joe Hawley, Khaled Holmes

RG – Geoff Schwartz, Hugh Thornton

RT – Gosder Cherilus

DEFENSE (26)

DE – Cory Redding, Linval Joseph, Jeris Pendleton

NT – Josh Chapman, Zack Kerr

DT – Ricky Jean Francois, Montori Hughes

LOLB – Eric Walden, Bjoern Werner

ILB – Jerrell Freeman, Josh McNary, Preston Brown, Henoc Muamba, Kelvin Sheppard

ROLB – Robert Mathis, Marcus Smith

RCB – Vontae Davis, Walter Thurmond, Walt Aikens

LCB – Greg Toler, Darius Butler

SS – LaRon Landry, Delano Howell

FS – TJ Ward, Alden Darby, Sergio Brown

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

K – Adam Vinatieri

P – Pat McAfee

LS – Matt Overton

The only this I don't like from this is the Ward signing. He's a good safety, don't get me wrong, but he's a SS. Just like Bethea and Landry, he's a guy that excels in stopping the run, but isn't that good in coverage. He's certainly better than either of those two in coverage, but if we sign a safety I want it to be a guy that excels in coverage like Jairus Byrd or Donte Whitner.

The only this I don't like from this is the Ward signing. He's a good safety, don't get me wrong, but he's a SS. Just like Bethea and Landry, he's a guy that excels in stopping the run, but isn't that good in coverage. He's certainly better than either of those two in coverage, but if we sign a safety I want it to be a guy that excels in coverage like Jairus Byrd or Donte Whitner.

Eh. TJ Ward isn't good in coverage.

He's good in coverage.

I see TJ Ward as an upgrade to Bethea, and we would be paying him almost the same Bethea was getting last year. He's much younger than him and I think I've gotta agree with Dustin and say that yes he is good in coverage, much better than Bethea and Landry are.

TJ Ward graded out as one of the best coverage safeties in the NFL last year. I'd say this draft looks to have fixed every hole we have apart from WR buy with Allen back and Rogers having more experience that may not be as big a hole as it seems.