Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins Gauging Trade Value Of Dion Jordan

krunk

He started every game as a rookie. To be fair, his impact is felt in more than just sacks, and Dion Jordan can't hold a candle to him. Just saying that trench players in particular take time to get going. Some guys longer than others. Jordan is probably a bad pick, was always questionable, and has a long way to go before he can live up to his draft status, but only 2 sacks doesn't tell the whole story, nor is it conclusive.

Jordan is more fit for a 3-4 OLB and he didn't get to play that much last year

Setting aside the fact that he shouldn't have gotten $12m/year, the structure of the contract is all wrong. Having such a sharp increase in salary and cap hit from Year 1 to Year 2, especially guaranteed, is illogical. Pain now, or pain later. If you take your pain now, though, you're shielded from having to deal with an underperforming player in later years.

Thank as always for taking the time to share your wisdom, the June deadline explanation in particular.

It seems that a cap was brought in but plenty of accounting tricks left in the rules to help teams shift numbers around. I suppose the NFL is really like a business in that some teams have more talent in showing fiscal creativity and prudence. *Cough* I'm looking at you here Jerry.

Thank as always for taking the time to share your wisdom, the June deadline explanation in particular.

It seems that a cap was brought in but plenty of accounting tricks left in the rules to help teams shift numbers around. I suppose the NFL is really like a business in that some teams have more talent in showing fiscal creativity and prudence. *Cough* I'm looking at you here Jerry.

Prudence and discipline, more than creativity. I don't know anything that these guys don't, and there are a ton of tricks that I simply haven't taken the time to wrap my mind around. But sometimes you just can't pay what guys want, and you have to let them walk.

The big thing is that you have to draft well, and then you feel more confident in letting guys walk, because you have a cheap replacement in house already, who already knows your system, has been coached by your guys, etc. That's why the draft if the lifeblood of your organization, especially now with a wage scale and top picks being paid about a third of what they were paid under the old CBA.

Prudence and discipline, more than creativity. I don't know anything that these guys don't, and there are a ton of tricks that I simply haven't taken the time to wrap my mind around. But sometimes you just can't pay what guys want, and you have to let them walk.

The big thing is that you have to draft well, and then you feel more confident in letting guys walk, because you have a cheap replacement in house already, who already knows your system, has been coached by your guys, etc. That's why the draft if the lifeblood of your organization, especially now with a wage scale and top picks being paid about a third of what they were paid under the old CBA.

My thoughts exactly with regards the rookie wage scale, as I put it it the other thread want us to go all in on FAs this offseason, draft well and use FA as a gap filler.