Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offense Scheme.. last 3 vs. Playoffs

Bleed_Blue

You are out of your mind if you think Brown is worth 23 points of production.

When, I don't know, seemingly 10 straight drives are stalled with running Richardson into a brick wall, when 6 points are scored from 3 drives started in the opposition's territory, when you score 5 points in the second half(2 on defense) even though your defense provides nothing but 3 and outs, it's probably not.  Every time the ball is handed off to Richardson a play is wasted and a drive is killed.

When, I don't know, seemingly 10 straight drives are stalled with running Richardson into a brick wall, when 6 points are scored from turnovers in the opposition's territory, when you score 5 points in the second half even though your defense provides nothing but 3 and outs, it's probably not. Every time the ball is handed off to Richardson a play is wasted and a drive is killed.

And in your mind that equates to 23 points Brown would have been personally accountable for? Come on.

I also don't believe 10 straight drives stalled because of Trent, but am far to lazy to actually disprove that. But by my count we only had 14 drives. So one of our maths is seriously skewed.

For the past several weeks I've been preaching around the watercooler (and lately on here) about my dislike for the Colts current offensive scheme/philosophy and what should change.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the main reason the Colts have had "slow starts" is due to the scheme not matching the personnel.

A below average at best o-line (interior maybe the worst) + receivers that have trouble getting open + a franchise/once in a generation type of QB and the Colts are choosing to open games (especially on 1st and 2nd down) under center, in power formations, interior running plays and slow developing 5-7 step drop passing plays/play actions.

Don't get me wrong, I like a power running/play-action style offense as much as the next guy, but it is the WRONG scheme for the Colts this year. IMO what needs to happen is this:

-Put Luck in the SHOTGUN for the majority of snaps (especially early downs) w/3+WR's and work the quick passing game + delays, draws and screens.

- Helps mask a bad o-line

- Gets the ball out quickly

- Creates separation for the young WR's via the formation and route combinations (think rubs/picks)

- Will create better running lanes for Richardson and Brown via delays/draws. No 8-10 in the box

- Check downs/Screens to the RB's will utilize what is probably they're biggest strength - Receiving

Luck is the best offensive player. Spread it out and let him play.

.... Now to the title.... If Pep and Chuck do decide to stop beating their head against a wall early in games and play to this teams strengths and away from weaknesses, Do you start now or wait until the playoffs?

Look no further than the Colts first drive yesterday. This should be our bread and butter.

1st Quarter Play by Play

R.Bullock kicks 68 yards from HST 35 to IND -3. C.Vaughn, Touchback.    

Indianapolis Colts at 15:00 HOU IND 1st and 10 at IND 20 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short right to T.Hilton to IND 27 for 7 yards (J.Joseph).    

2nd and 3 at IND 27 (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Luck pass incomplete deep left to G.Whalen.    

3rd and 3 at IND 27 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short left to T.Hilton to IND 35 for 8 yards (J.Joseph).    

1st and 10 at IND 35 (No Huddle, Shotgun) PENALTY on HST-B.Reed, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at IND 35 - No Play.    

1st and 5 at IND 40 (Shotgun) D.Brown up the middle pushed ob at HST 34 for 26 yards (J.Joseph).    

1st and 10 at HOU 34 (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Luck pass incomplete short right to D.Rogers.    

2nd and 10 at HOU 34 (Shotgun) D.Brown up the middle to HST 30 for 4 yards (D.Swearinger).    

3rd and 6 at HOU 30 (Shotgun) PENALTY on HST-W.Mercilus, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at HST 30 - No Play.    

3rd and 1 at HOU 25 (Run formation) T.Richardson up the middle to HST 24 for 1 yard (J.Mays; W.Mercilus). #71 reports as eligble    

1st and 10 at HOU 24 D.Brown right tackle to HST 17 for 7 yards (S.Keo).    

2nd and 3 at HOU 17 (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Brown up the middle to HST 15 for 2 yards (J.Mays; J.Crick).    

3rd and 1 at HOU 15 (Run formation) T.Richardson up the middle to HST 14 for 1 yard (J.Mays; W.Mercilus). #91 reports eligible    

1st and 10 at HOU 14 (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short right to G.Whalen for 14 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 0 6   A.Vinatieri extra point is GOOD, Center-M.Overton, Holder-P.McAfee. 0 7

For the past several weeks I've been preaching around the watercooler (and lately on here) about my dislike for the Colts current offensive scheme/philosophy and what should change.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the main reason the Colts have had "slow starts" is due to the scheme not matching the personnel.  

A below average at best o-line (interior maybe the worst) + receivers that have trouble getting open + a franchise/once in a generation type of QB and the Colts are choosing to open games (especially on 1st and 2nd down) under center, in power formations, interior running plays and slow developing 5-7 step drop passing plays/play actions.

Don't get me wrong, I like a power running/play-action style offense as much as the next guy, but it is the WRONG scheme for the Colts this year.  IMO what needs to happen is this:

-Put Luck in the SHOTGUN for the majority of snaps (especially early downs) w/3+WR's and work the quick passing game + delays, draws and screens.  

- Helps mask a bad o-line

- Gets the ball out quickly

- Creates separation for the young WR's via the formation and route combinations (think rubs/picks)

- Will create better running lanes  for Richardson and Brown via delays/draws.  No 8-10 in the box

- Check downs/Screens to the RB's will utilize what is probably they're biggest strength - Receiving

Luck is the best offensive player.  Spread it out and let him play.  

....  Now to the title....  If Pep and Chuck do decide to stop beating their head against a wall early in games and play to this teams strengths and away from weaknesses, Do you start now or wait until the playoffs?

Bob Kravitz

"How about Pep Hamilton?

The Colts offensive coordinator did something we've all been pining for the last few weeks: He spread things out, went shot gun, went to the no-huddle early, and the Colts moved up and down the field with relative alacrity. After 37 first-half possessions without a touchdown over six games, the Colts scored a TD on their first drive and were 5-for-5 on third-down conversions to open the afternoon."