Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 2011 Colts vs.The 2013 Texans

King Colt

Watched the Texans dissolve last night in Jacksonville and was reminded of a Colts team a couple years back. It is nearly impossible to understand why a team that finished so well last year cannot do anything right on the field. I thought that watching the Colts without Manning-how could they be so useless missing only one man?. Probably most of you did not watch the game especially with Louisville playing Cincinnati on ESPN but honestly, the Texans are like dried coffee stains in a dirty cup, just not pleasant to look at and needing a thorough cleaning. What a waste of a season when so many predicted a SB appearance. To say they have to start from scratch is the only thing anyone has done right here.

The Texans are probably the closest away from being a contending team by just adding a quality QB. All of the pieces are there although they need a coaching change for sure.

In terms of the comparison to the Colts of the 2011, just about all of the Houston games that they have lost have been competitive with them losing by 7 points or less in most of them. The Colts of 2011 were not competitive and their effort was questioned in many games.

The Texans are probably the closest away from being a contending team by just adding a quality QB. All of the pieces are there although they need a coaching change for sure.

In terms of the comparison to the Colts of the 2011, just about all of the Houston games that they have lost have been competitive with them losing by 7 points or less in most of them. The Colts of 2011 were not competitive and their effort was questioned in many games.

Praytell, what pieces do the Texans have?

Dont say a runningback, Arian Foster is 29 years old and had major back surgery, plus hes got a ton of miles. Ben Tate will not be back next year.

Dont say Offensive line, its been a sieve and the right side of the line has been particularly bad with the talent they bled there.

Dont say defense, Brian Cushing may never be the same again after all those shots to his knee, and they rank among the worst defenses in the league in everything but raw passing yardage, which is rapidly dropping as teamsactually bother to throw against them now.

So outside of an aging wide reciever and soon to be free agent defensive lineman, what pieces do Houston realistically have?

In terms of the comparison to the Colts of the 2011, just about all of the Houston games that they have lost have been competitive with them losing by 7 points or less in most of them. The Colts of 2011 were not competitive and their effort was questioned in many games.

The 2011 Colts lost 7 of their 14 games by 1 score or less. 9 of the 14 by two scores or less. 

The only people who questioned effort were either *s who didn't watch the game or reporters/writers looking for page hits.

The 2011 Colts lost 7 of their 14 games by 1 score or less. 9 of the 14 by two scores or less. 

The only people who questioned effort were either *s who didn't watch the game or reporters/writers looking for page hits.

The comparison was to this year's Texans who have only lost three games by more than ONE score.

They also did have a performance like the Colts did to the Saints losing 62-7, the first time a team had allowed 60 or more points since 2000. Nor did they set one of the most dubious NFL records on pass defense, by allowing 71.2% completed passes by opposing passers like the Colts did. That team was textbook when it came to futility.

The comparison was to this year's Texans who have only lost three games by more than ONE score.

They also did have a performance like the Colts did to the Saints losing 62-7, the first time a team had allowed 60 or more points since 2000. Nor did they set one of the most dubious NFL records on pass defense, by allowing 71.2% completed passes by opposing passers like the Colts did. That team was textbook when it came to futility.

Yes because the team was bad. They didn't "lack effort" that something only an ignorant person would claim.

Praytell, what pieces do the Texans have?

Dont say a runningback, Arian Foster is 29 years old and had major back surgery, plus hes got a ton of miles. Ben Tate will not be back next year.

Dont say Offensive line, its been a sieve and the right side of the line has been particularly bad with the talent they bled there.

Dont say defense, Brian Cushing may never be the same again after all those shots to his knee, and they rank among the worst defenses in the league in everything but raw passing yardage, which is rapidly dropping as teamsactually bother to throw against them now.

So outside of an aging wide reciever and soon to be free agent defensive lineman, what pieces do Houston realistically have?

Well said, as usual.  The Texans are littered with holes.

At this point, anyone who says otherwise is either blind, stupid & ignorant or a homer who's living in complete denial.

I can't fathom how anyone can watch that team play football & think the only upgrade in personnel they need is a new quarterback.....lol

Well said, as usual.  The Texans are littered with holes.

At this point, anyone who says otherwise is either blind, stupid & ignorant or a homer who's living in complete denial.

I can't fathom how anyone can watch that team play football & think the only upgrade in personnel they need is a new quarterback.....lol

I disagree very much. I went back and forth with SkyBane about this a couple weeks ago. Not that they don't need fixes beyond QB, but they aren't littered with holes.

And I'm not blind, stupid or ignorant. I might be a homer, but not for the Texans, so it's not relevant.

I disagree very much. I went back and forth with SkyBane about this a couple weeks ago. Not that they don't need fixes beyond QB, but they aren't littered with holes.

And I'm not blind, stupid or ignorant. I might be a homer, but not for the Texans, so it's not relevant.

I feel they need to significanlty upgrade NT, ILB opposite Cushing, #2 & #3 CB's, at least one S position, at least 2 OL positions.  They need huge upgrades on special teams, which means there are depth players need to be upgraded.  Whether you want to consider that "littered" is semantics, I suppose.  I think they have numerous holes and have thought that for a long time.  Though never did I think they would be 2-11 in the midst of an 11 game losing streak.  Alot of that is on Kubiak, who was rightly fired today.  I thought this was no better than a .500 team going into this season. 

I think we can all agree that they need to upgrade at more than just the quarterback position, though.

I feel they need to significanlty upgrade NT, ILB opposite Cushing, #2 & #3 CB's, at least one S position, at least 2 OL positions.  They need huge upgrades on special teams, which means there are depth players need to be upgraded.  Whether you want to consider that "littered" is semantics, I suppose.  I think they have numerous holes and have thought that for a long time.  Though never did I think they would be 2-11 in the midst of an 11 game losing streak.  Alot of that is on Kubiak, who was rightly fired today.  I thought this was no better than a .500 team going into this season. 

I think we can all agree that they need to upgrade at more than just the quarterback position, though.

What they do at NT and ILB depends on whether they stay a 3-4 front. And as a 1-gap front, NT can be masked over. They do need better secondary play, and the line needs help.

I'm not sure they need as much help at special teams as you say; they have returners. Keshawn Martin is a home run threat. Shane Lechler is older, but he's still punting well. Randy Bullock has a couple rough games, but he's back on track. Even if you need a new punter or kicker, that's not a major issue. They probably need a good gunner, but again, these are fringe issues. Special teams isn't the reason they've lost 11 games in a row.

The offensive line can be upgraded, but a lot of teams can say that. They still have two or three really good linemen.

To me, they're just like any other NFL roster right now. They have a handful of really good players, another 5-10 solid, dependable guys, they have a half dozen up and comers that any team would love to have. And they have some holes, but that's any team. 

It's definitely more than just QB. But nothing a strong offseason can't cure.

What they do at NT and ILB depends on whether they stay a 3-4 front. And as a 1-gap front, NT can be masked over. They do need better secondary play, and the line needs help.

I'm not sure they need as much help at special teams as you say; they have returners. Keshawn Martin is a home run threat. Shane Lechler is older, but he's still punting well. Randy Bullock has a couple rough games, but he's back on track. Even if you need a new punter or kicker, that's not a major issue. They probably need a good gunner, but again, these are fringe issues. Special teams isn't the reason they've lost 11 games in a row.

The offensive line can be upgraded, but a lot of teams can say that. They still have two or three really good linemen.

To me, they're just like any other NFL roster right now. They have a handful of really good players, another 5-10 solid, dependable guys, they have a half dozen up and comers that any team would love to have. And they have some holes, but that's any team. 

It's definitely more than just QB. But nothing a strong offseason can't cure.

When I say special teams, i'm referring to the coverage teams.  The Texans have one of the worst, if not the worst, coverage units in the NFL.

When I say special teams, i'm referring to the coverage teams.  The Texans have one of the worst, if not the worst, coverage units in the NFL.

So you need a gunner and someone up the middle? That's not exactly a hard fix. They've actually been better on special teams coverage in recent weeks.

Either way, that's not the reason they've lost 11 games in a row.

I never commented whether it was a easy or hard fix. Although you should check out their cap situation; like last year, they don't have the $ to sign FA. Their upgrades will have to come from the draft. Although I should point out that they have a couple of promising OL sitting on IR right now that could make an impact next year.

I simply said they have a lot of holes, right now. Which they do.