Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why in the world would the Colts trade that far up for corners? Hasn't exactly been a glaring weakness this year.

Vontae has been a great investment so far and i'm super glad we traded for him. Toler though, Toler isn't very consistent and every time there is a play towards him I find myself holding my breath. Darius Butler could be a great corner just playing against slot receivers which he seems very effective at. The main problem is Toler. If Pagano does insist on playing sides of the field rather than putting our #1 corner on their number #1 receiver then we need two good corners to avoid mismatches. Moving up for Roby who excels in press coverage makes sense. There are other options as well. Mo Claiborne hasn't been playing very well this year (they insist on playing zone when Claiborne is proven effective as a press cover corner) so you may call Dallas just to talk. Having a great secondary also creates coverage sacks allowing your pass rushers to look better than they are.

Vontae has been a great investment so far and i'm super glad we traded for him. Toler though, Toler isn't very consistent and every time there is a play towards him I find myself holding my breath. Darius Butler could be a great corner just playing against slot receivers which he seems very effective at. The main problem is Toler. If Pagano does insist on playing sides of the field rather than putting our #1 corner on their number #1 receiver then we need two good corners to avoid mismatches. Moving up for Roby who excels in press coverage makes sense. There are other options as well. Mo Claiborne hasn't been playing very well this year (they insist on playing zone when Claiborne is proven effective as a press cover corner) so you may call Dallas just to talk. Having a great secondary also creates coverage sacks allowing your pass rushers to look better than they are.

Toler isn't that big of problem. He isn't great, but find me #2 corner who is. I would be FAR more worried about replacing aging players like Mathis, Redding and Wayne. Moving up for another corner would just be bizarre and IMO has zero chance of happening.

Toler isn't that big of problem. He isn't great, but find me #2 corner who is. I would be FAR more worried about replacing aging players like Mathis, Redding and Wayne. Moving up for another corner would just be bizarre and IMO has zero chance of happening.

I agree but Pagano has said he wants corners to play half the field. You just never know.

Anyone that thinks we could move into the first round with no extra picks and lacking a 4th has no idea of how the draft works.  Other than trading a player , you would pretty much have to give up you 2nd and a lot of your 2015 draft to make that move. 

Well, giving up late round picks in 2014/15 doesn't really bother me, if there's a real stud player available.

Looking at our drafts from 2010 - 2013, it's not like we've getting a lot of quality from our late round picks, except in 2012 where we got Ballard and Brazil in the 6th who have done okay for us.

The rest... Gone, even if there's a couple left on the practice squad and on the Reserve/Injured.

Going over these past years drafts.. Some of them are not very impressive, to say the least. 2012 was a slam dunk, but the rest of them.. awful

Well, giving up late round picks in 2014/15 doesn't really bother me, if there's a real stud player available.

Looking at our drafts from 2010 - 2013, it's not like we've getting a lot of quality from our late round picks, except in 2012 where we got Ballard and Brazil in the 6th who have done okay for us.

The rest... Gone, even if there's a couple left on the practice squad and on the Reserve/Injured.

Going over these past years drafts.. Some of them are not very impressive, to say the least. 2012 was a slam dunk, but the rest of them.. awful

You need about 300 points to make a move like you are suggesting. If say we draft 26th and want to move into the first round pick 30. If you go to the NFL Draft Value chart , that would be exactly 300 points. Now these "late round picks" you talk about are wroth the following ...

5th round    29.4

6th round    17

7th round    4.2

You have no 4th in 2014 and the "late round picks " you want to throw in this pile off poop deal to some * team are worth one round less than they are worth in the current year. Other  words an example of that is team A trades team B it's 2015 1st round pick for team B's 2014 2nd round pick. This exact trade happens all the time. Another example would be the Colts traded their 4th in 2014 for Cleveland's 5th rounder to draft Hughes.

So that all said and going by the chart , you could move into the first round by trading your 2014 2nd AND adding in your 2015 First. That would be about what you would have to come up with point wise Could it be done a little cheaper ? Maybe if the team didn't like the players available at the end of round one. Something like your second and 2015 2nd and 3rd would IMO be the very least. 

Hope that helps and you can just google anything like "NFL draft value chart " and the chart is available. It's only a guidline and sometimes trades are going to take much more ( Washing trading up a few spots for RG3) and sometimes less ( Miami trading up in first last year). However , this will give you an idea of how there is no way you trade up a from say pick 2.26 to pick 1.32 by throwing in a few late round picks.

The 2015 first is probably high as I'm valuing it as a pick around 1.30 and that would be understaing it's value.

@ DW49

I didn't say it would be easy, or that any team would be interested in making such a trade. But perhaps some team would be interested in getting our second round pick in 14, plus a couple of late round picks each in 14 & 15.

Question is if there's anyone in the draft Grigson would want to make such a trade for, or if he's happy with the options that should be available when we pick in the second round. It's all pure speculation at this point as we can only guess what will happen in FA, who will be resigned and who wont be resigned, and we don't even know who will have what pick at the draft.

@ DW49

I didn't say it would be easy, or that any team would be interested in making such a trade. But perhaps some team would be interested in getting our second round pick in 14, plus a couple of late round picks each in 14 & 15.

Question is if there's anyone in the draft Grigson would want to make such a trade for, or if he's happy with the options that should be available when we pick in the second round. It's all pure speculation at this point as we can only guess what will happen in FA, who will be resigned and who wont be resigned, and we don't even know who will have what pick at the draft.

What you said is this .....

"To me, it comes down to what happens @ the draft. There could be players available in the late first round that would be worth a trade up. Give up some late round picks in 2015 if possible."

I take that as meaning you would like to trade the 2nd and some late round picks in 2014 and 2015 to get into the 2014 first round. I would love to trade my 2005 BMW in for a new Mercedes straight up but it's a ridiculous deal that no one would do. Likewise trading what you suggest to get into the 1st round in the 2014 is a ridiculous deal that no GM would ever accept. Instead of wasting time defending your position , take a minute and look at the chart I referred you to and learn something.