Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We cant be the team that loses to Miami and beats SF

oldunclemark

Another one of these "we have to do this or we'll lose" type threads.

Let me tell you a story.

I have a buddy I golf with that, every time we play, is trying something new with his swing.  This week, he saw an article that if you strengthen your left hand and press club forward at address, you'll gain 5 yards off the tee.  Guess what he's trying?  Next round he's trying to work a fade because he can control the roll,  He never has a chance.

Me, on the other hand, play "safe" and conservative the first two holes to see if I'm getting a natural slight draw or fade.  Then I plan the rest of my round by that info. I'm a low single digit, so I can certainly play a fade or draw all day, or alternate holes if you like.  However, I choose to see what i'm  most comfortable with on that day (kinda like what the defense is giving you) and use that to my advantage.  Why work harder than you have to?

How does this apply to run-first vs pass-first?  I have no idea!

Seriously tho,  too much hype is given to run-first vs pass-first.  What the heck does that really mean anyway?  Your FIRST offensive play is a run or pass?  You run or pass on first down?  You have a higher run or pass %?  Are passes (screens) behind the scrimmage considered passes or runs? Who knows.  And I would argue who cares.

You have to think of it as a chess match.  You are probing your pawns looking for a strike.  An offense will mix passes and runs to try to gain advantage and create mismatches along with confusing or surprising your opponent.  .  Many (most) teams are heavily stronger at either passing or running so of course they FAVOR that and are more comfortable with that regardless of the defenses strength.  I guess that is probably where pass-first or run-first originated.  WE are in the rare position to possibly have a much better than average strength in both, compared to most teams,  So I would be run-first where we can and pass-first when we can, whatever that means.  This changes throughout a game anyway.  Do you still wanna be pass-"happy when leading in the fourth?  It is certainly easier to "control" the game when you can run. 

Seriously, we all have to get off these "literal" translations of terms and philosophies.  Games are fluid.  Weather, turnovers, injuries, etc affect so much also.

Out of ALL the teams fans in the league,  I find it amusing that it would be COLT fans saying passing is so much more important than running.  We were the greatest regular season passing team of all-time probably and the biggest "flop" of a passing game in the post-season.

You need to control the game in the post season. 

IMO, you only really need to be pass-happy (pass-first) if you have a crappy defense and need tons of points.  Otherwise run the ball, (if you can) control the clock, keep their offense off the field, shorten the game. Plus, alot less fumbles by runners than interception and drops.  Its a much "safer" approach.  Boring yes, but that darn game yesterday has really changed my point of view of wanting to see Luck air it out.  Just because we're favoring the run doesn't mean we can't switch on a dime either. 

Do you not understand?????? If you intellectually stimulate the masses into making sense then you could very well open a worm hole between understanding the game and Intelligent conversation. Now tell me, do you really want to be responsible for that????

Didn't think so. Now back to spouting gibberish..............."The sky is falling, the sky is falling.............

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic