Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The AFC is flawed at the top

bayone

TOP PART OF ARTICLE

What a brutal weekend. Six players are out for the year, less than a week into practice for the season. The only common thread seems to be gut punching fans who were just getting excited about the season.

You're not supposed to have your hopes crushed until at least Week 2.

Hardest hit was the AFC, at the very top to be specific.

Turnover for the Baltimore Ravens had some wondering already. The offense already had a gap in it without Anquan Boldin, and now Dennis Pitta is gone for the year with a fractured hip from a collision in camp. Pitta tied Ray Rice for the second-most receptions on the team last year. Together with Boldin, the two accounted for 126 of Joe Flacco's 334 completed pass attempts. Both were a big part of the RavensSuper Bowl run too, combining for seven touchdowns.

In Denver, it was center Dan Koppen. The 33-year-old filled in nicely last season, and was set to reprise his role as J.D. Walton's stand-in. Now, Peyton Manning will be taking snaps from either Manny Ramirez (no relation) or Steve Vallos, who was added Sunday, until Walton can get healthy. The potential four-game suspension for Von Miller complicates things even more for the Broncos. Of course, there is still Peyton Manning and a trio of top-flight receivers, but it all leaves room for doubt.

All three of the preseason favorites in the AFC -- Baltimore, Denver and, of course, New England -- have a potentially weak underbelly ... not even a week into training camp.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/7/29/4565142/2013-nfl-season-predictions-broncos-ravens-patriots-read-option

How is this diferrent from the NFC..where Seattle has Percy Harvin out for the year and a SUV ful of players on or near drug suspension.

..and the 49ers who have lost WR Michael Crabtree for the season,....and have a QB who has never played a full season...

The entire NFC East could go 8-8..

..and folks expect New Orleans to majically repair the worst defense in the history of the NFL because their head coach returns and wills it to be so... a total fairy tale

Every team has a lot of flaws if you look close..

How is this diferrent from the NFC..where Seattle has Percy Harvin out for the year and a SUV ful of players on or near drug suspension.

..and the 49ers who have lost WR Michael Crabtree for the season,....and have a QB who has never played a full season...

..and folks expect New Orleans to majically repair the worst defense in the history of the NFL because their head coach returns and wills it to be so... a total fairy tale

I agree , it was just an AFC article However

INJURIES   BRINGING SOME ADDED PARITY

Just put some bubble wrap around Luck, Wayne, Mathis, Bethea, Landry, and TY, we'll be OK :).

Texans and Colts can do some real damage this year in the playoffs, it depends on who steps up, looking at it objectively!!!

Just put some bubble wrap around Luck, Wayne, Mathis, Bethea, Landry, and TY, we'll be OK :).

Texans and Colts can do some real damage this year in the playoffs, it depends on who steps up, looking at it objectively!!!

Heck, the way this offseason has been, just make them run laps around a track until a few weeks before the season.  Forfeit all pre-season games, and enter the regular season completely healthy.

Obviously all of that is a joke, but there just seems to be something strange this year with injuries.  I seriously hope we don't lose any of our starters.

I was thinking about this earlier this week. All these legal troubles and devastating injuries to the "contenders". And so far, thank goodness, the Texans are unscathed. I hope it remains that way, I like beating the competition at their best but I don't mind kicking them when they're down either lol.

Every team is flawed, thanks to the salary cap. But specifically, the Seahawks have the same team they had last year.  Harvin was supposed to be an upgrade. Losing him hurts, but they're still strong contenders. The Niners lost Crabtree, which hurts much more than Seattle losing Harvin, I think. But they also added Boldin, so they should pick up where they left off as well. And perhaps the loss to Crabtree allows Vernon Davis to work his way back into the mix; Kaepernick strongly favored throwing to Crabtree. Someone will emerge in the NFC East.

You didn't mention the NFC North, where the Packers had a nice offseason. I think they're as complete as anyone else in the league. The Bears had a nice offseason as well. 

But about the Saints, they don't have to magically repair the defense. They just need to be better than they were last year. They can pick up two or three games and make the playoffs. Still flawed, but they ought to be considered contenders. And that reminds me of the Falcons, who I expect to be just as good as they were last year.

If I compare the Packers, Niners and Falcons to the Broncos, Patriots and Ravens, I think there are more question marks with the AFC's top three. That's just me. We'll see what it looks like in mid October.

Agree on the Saints. I want to be high on them but at the same time that defense last year was so God awful pathetic. :woah:

However, it is the Saints. And once in a while they pull that magic out of their behinds so you never know with Payton back and ESPECIALLY if they win all their home games in that crazy dome......

Brees is gonna be Brees yo.

And the NFC South tends to be topsy turvy at the very top. :headspin:

Agree on the Saints. I want to be high on them but at the same time that defense last year was so God awful pathetic. :woah:

How did we ever have expectations of success in Indy? The Colts D was God aweful pathetic through most of Manning's years here... just saying...