Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck After 2 Minute Warning [Merge]

Everyone

What I am saying is this: Cam Newton had a remarkable rookie campaign as did Andrew Luck. Now, I do not expect a duplicate performance in either case as a field general. Just because a rookie QB set the world on fire in his 1st first year that doesn't necessarily translate into making a tremendous leap that will leave 31 other teams scorched in INDY's wake either.

I'm not a stat guy; never have been & I never will be. I'm a locker room chemistry,  team confidence, & public relations guy. I'm not disputing your numbers dw49. I'm sure that they accurate; it's just isn't the measuring stick I typically use that's all. I'm not requesting that Luck set the world on fire. Just hold expectations in check & don't burn the franchise down either...

People seem to make the blind assumption that Andrew Luck great football attributes make his future greatness inevitable like a predestination or foregone conclusion "So it shall be written so it shall be done like some sort of mythical NFL prophecy. I just refuse to blindly subscribe to that theory. Natural talent is not automatically synonymous with greatness in my book. 

Consistency & longevity reveal great potential over time not merely 1 impressive league season. It's a good start, but that's all it is too...A start...The sample size & body of work at this level is just too small to make the Luck greatness leap full throttle yet. That's my point. 

What I am saying is this: Cam Newton had a remarkable rookie campaign as did Andrew Luck. Now, I do not expect a duplicate performance in either case as a field general. Just because a rookie QB set the world on fire in his 1st first year that doesn't necessarily translate into making a tremendous leap that will leave 31 other teams scorched in INDY's wake either.

I'm not a stat guy; never have been & I never will be. I'm a locker room chemistry,  team confidence, & public relations guy. I'm not disputing your numbers dw49. I'm sure that they accurate; it's just isn't the measuring stick I typically use that's all. I'm not requesting that Luck set the world on fire. Just hold expectations in check & don't burn the franchise down either...

People seem to make the blind assumption that Andrew Luck great football attributes make his future greatness inevitable like a predestination or foregone conclusion "So it shall be written so it shall be down like some sort of mythical NFL prophecy. I just refuse to blindly subscribe to that theory. Natural talent is not automatically synonymous with greatness in my book. 

I get ya. I just reacted a bit to the Newton thing a bit because people actually did think he had a large regression from his rookie year to his 2nd year. Really , IMO anyway , all that happened was defenses got a little better defending him. Hence the big decrease (14-8) in rushing TD's. I also probably was a little tough on your post as I really did know that you were saying it's not a given that Luck improves by leaps and bounds this year.

My take on that would be we should be thankful that about all Luck and Newton have in common is great talent. One guy has a great head on his shoulders while the other appears to be a head case. Also if Grigson has fixed the O Line and all the rookies progress , Luck will have way more help than last years. If you want to try to find a negative , you could point to the fact that Luck was pretty "lucky" not to have even more int's last year as my observation was defenders dropped a bunch more of them. But I think when you take everything into account , he could end up to be a top 5 QB this year.