Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I get to make TWO rules changes in my church FF league...

MrNLM

I am the champion going into next season and one of the perks of being the champ is... you get to make two rule changes. I am having a hard time deciding what rules I want to change.

It is a keeper league and I get to keep two of my players from last year. This may tell you why I was champ... all of my starters were in the top 10 at their position respectively.

QB - Matt Ryan - 3rd

RB - Adrian Petersoin - 1st

RB - Doug Martin - 2nd

WR - AJ Green - 4th

WR - Demarius Thomas - 6th

TE - Brandon Myers - 6th

FLEX - Arian Foster - 3rd

FLEX - Wes Welker - 7th

D/ST - Browns - 9th

K - Blair Walsh - 1st

HM: I also had RB - Alfred Morris - 6th on my bench.  :gym:  :cool:  :goat:

So... looking at that I think I may be changing rules regarding RB scoring... like +1 every 5 yards and +1 every 3 rush attempts. I also though about making the QB play more realistic and throwing in some penalties like -1 per incomplete pass and -5 for INTs.

Anyone wanna chime in and help a guy out?

How many teams are in your league?..It seems you have a LOT of very good fantasy backs...IF you have dominant backs like this, it would be very tempting to do your first option. I personally like the one penalty you mentioned.. -5 for INT's...

I don't like the +1 every 3 attempts...that means that your back could have 15 attempts for 29 yards..and still score 5 points just for attempts..and would get 5 more for just 29 yards...

Without knowing all your scoring system..I would go for adding penalties...like the -5 for INT's..If you don't have that for fumbles, I would add -5 for them as well..

Again, its all up to you...just my 2 cents...(again, without knowing your complete scoring structure.)

How many teams are in your league?..It seems you have a LOT of very good fantasy backs...IF you have dominant backs like this, it would be very tempting to do your first option. I personally like the one penalty you mentioned.. -5 for INT's...

I don't like the +1 every 3 attempts...that means that your back could have 15 attempts for 29 yards..and still score 5 points just for attempts..and would get 5 more for just 29 yards...

Without knowing all your scoring system..I would go for adding penalties...like the -5 for INT's..If you don't have that for fumbles, I would add -5 for them as well..

Again, its all up to you...just my 2 cents...(again, without knowing your complete scoring structure.)

Foster and green were keepers from the previous year. Got Peterson in the 4th, martin in the 9th, and Morris was a pre week 1 pick-up. It is a 12 man league. We only had 11 teams last year though... so we all got 1 bye week.

One small rule change I have always wanted is tie the number of points provided by a sack to the number of points provided by an INT for a defense, 2 for both. Sacks are valued less than INTs, that might be something you may want to think about for Ds. 2 bonus point for 100 yards, 4 bonus points for 200 yards should apply for RBs and WRs, people will like it. If you are going to put more than -1 for QB INTs, then you have to do more than 6 pts for QB TDs, otherwise it wont be fair. Increasing bonus points is normally well received than increasing penalties, IMO. For a QB, 3 bonus points for hitting 300 yards, and 5 bonus points for hitting 400 yards may be a good way to go.

The big rule change I would suggest is make it a no keeper league :). I frankly hate keeper leagues.

I remember in my church league when a guy who claimed he had dynasty written all over him won 3 times in 4 years. Yeah, he had Adrian Peterson and Maurice Jones Drew a few years ago for keepers all those years plus Ryan Grant, I think during the later Favre years. So, a guy could keep 7 or 8 players, just wont draft till the 8th or 9th round, something like that.

I insisted that we not do keeper league again since I knew I could match FF wits with him in a year or two once I started playing FF. And lo behold, he has been to only 1 FF championship since then, and I have won 2 out of the last 4 years since I started playing in my church league. I would have won 3 in a row but missed out last year because a lead of 34 points in the championship game evaporated in week 17 due to Alfred Morris scoring 41 points in the finale against me :(.

No matter how good my team is, I always vote for no keeper league because I think that is the most fair (even if I had MJD, Arian Foster and Reggie Bush two years ago). If one feels they are good, they should not have to cling on to studs in a keeper league and still win, at least that is my theory and I'm sticking with it :).

One small rule change I have always wanted is tie the number of points provided by a sack to the number of points provided by an INT for a defense, 2 for both. Sacks are valued less than INTs, that might be something you may want to think about for Ds. 2 bonus point for 100 yards, 4 bonus points for 200 yards should apply for RBs and WRs, people will like it. If you are going to put more than -1 for QB INTs, then you have to do more than 6 pts for QB TDs, otherwise it wont be fair. Increasing bonus points is normally well received than increasing penalties, IMO. For a QB, 3 bonus points for hitting 300 yards, and 5 bonus points for hitting 400 yards may be a good way to go.

The big rule change I would suggest is make it a no keeper league :). I frankly hate keeper leagues.

I remember in my church league when a guy who claimed he had dynasty written all over him won 3 times in 4 years. Yeah, he had Adrian Peterson and Maurice Jones Drew a few years ago for keepers all those years plus Ryan Grant, I think during the later Favre years. So, a guy could keep 7 or 8 players, just wont draft till the 8th or 9th round, something like that.

I insisted that we not do keeper league again since I knew I could match FF wits with him in a year or two once I started playing FF. And lo behold, he has been to only 1 FF championship since then, and I have won 2 out of the last 4 years since I started playing in my church league. I would have won 3 in a row but missed out last year because a lead of 34 points in the championship game evaporated in week 17 due to Alfred Morris scoring 41 points in the finale against me :(.

No matter how good my team is, I always vote for no keeper league because I think that is the most fair (even if I had MJD, Arian Foster and Reggie Bush two years ago). If one feels they are good, they should not have to cling on to studs in a keeper league and still win, at least that is my theory and I'm sticking with it :).

We only get to keep 2, 1, or 0 players. All depends on how you want to roll. I will always keep at least one seeing as I expect everyone else to keep the good players.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, I've found bonus points tend to bring more chance into the equation, where I prefer the game to be as much about skill as possible.

If you want to shake up the league in a big way, consider switching to starting 2 QBs. It completely and dynamically shifts drafting, forcing teams to change their strategies in a big way (but will also disrupt status quo in a keeper league).

If one really wants to "shake" up a league ...

you do this ...  reward..  K, D, and add a DP.  

It really does do it ... 

K..   FG   3pt   0 - 29    5pt    30-39,    7pt   40  -  49,  10pt   50 plus.....

D..    simply bump up the obvious scoring categories.      Sack 2   iNT 2   ff 1   fr  1    ...

DP....     I love this position.     MLB is a MONEY MAKER.     T  2,  Int 2  FF 1   FR  1   Tassist  1  SACK   3

I would also recommend getting rid of the negative points for players.         And using a flex RB/ WR, TE

It is easy to spice a league up....    without adding 2 QB's....    That dilutes it. 

JMO

FWIW, I've found bonus points tend to bring more chance into the equation, where I prefer the game to be as much about skill as possible.

If you want to shake up the league in a big way, consider switching to starting 2 QBs. It completely and dynamically shifts drafting, forcing teams to change their strategies in a big way (but will also disrupt status quo in a keeper league).

And yes ..  Yardage bonuses are an option...  I am not a fan, but my big league loves it.   

And honestly  it does not alter anything..      They are hard to hit, but when your dude does..$$$