Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We will have a roster with about 45% of the players being new

LAColt

I did my roster analysis and started to trim off the cuts, just in theory of course, what do I know.  I then counted new players (draft, Free Agency, and I also considered Josh Chapman "new" because he didn't play at all last year......Fili Moala didn't count as new).  My biggest surprise was 45%, nearly half the roster, will be made up of new players.  That is incredible, and probably a record percentage of new players for a team that made the playoffs the prior season.  I think Grigs is an absolutely incredible and active guy and is building a team with a very solid, unified set of goals, and the whole organization is in sync.  And when you have your crap together and a franchise quarterback, it attracts a lot of new guys wanting to play in Indy.  Here are my 53 guys I see making the team.  Guys in Red are starters, Guys in Blue are Practice Squad and don't count to the 53 man roster (8 practice squad players total).

OFFENSE

Satele, Samson Reitz, Joe Castonzo, Anthony Wayne, Reggie Allen, Dwayne Luck, Andrew Ballard, Vick Holmes, Khaled Thomas, Donald Cherilus, Gosder Bay, Darius Howard Fleener, Coby Hasselbeck, Matt Havili, Stanley   Thornton, Hugh Linkenbach, Jeff Hilton, T.Y. Cummingham, Justice Harnish, Chandler Bradshaw, Ahmad     Sowell, Bradley Brazill, LaVon Saunders, Weslye   Brown, Donald     Cleary, Emmett Sampson, Lanear     Williams, Kerwyn       Kelley, Jeremy      

DEFENSE

Franklin, Aubrayo Redding, Cory Mathis, Robert Conner, Kavell Davis, Vontae Bethea, Antoine Chapman, Josh Jean Francois, Ricky Walden, Erik Freeman, Jerrell Toler, Greg Landry, LaRon Hughes, Montori Mathews, Ricardo Werner, Bjoern Angerer, Pat Butler, Darius Lefeged, Joe   Moala, Fili Sidbury, Lawrence Sheppard, Kelvin Vaughn, Cassius Brown, Sergio   Guy, Lawrence Hickman, Justin Harvey, Mario Price, Sheldon Boyett, John         Gordy, Josh

KICKING GAME

Vinatieri, Adam McAfee, Pat Overton, Matt McManus, Brandon

Notable exclusions from the roster and practice squad are

Anderson, Justin G Ijalana, Ben G Carter, Delone RB Nevis, Drake DE

I think a couple of these guys might find themselves on the roster or on injured reserve.  We will probably "hide" a couple of players on the IR, if they are not ready to go.

It was even newer last year. 

Last year, there were 12 new starters. This year, there will be anywhere from 3 to 8.

Still, this team is quite new, and if we compare it to the team 2 years ago, they're almost completely different with the exception of about 5 starters.

It was even newer last year. 

Last year, there were 12 new starters. This year, there will be anywhere from 3 to 8.

Still, this team is quite new, and if we compare it to the team 2 years ago, they're almost completely different with the exception of about 5 starters.

I think his point is all of the new players AFTER a 11-5 season and playoffs....but you know that.

Yes last year going into camp we had 53 players of 90 who were either rookies or players with 'less than' 1 year experience.....amazing last year and this year both...Grigs never sleeps.  :)

No Chapman is not on practice squad.  My cut and paste didn't work.  I am going to try another format, here goes nothing:

TOTAL OFFENSE (25)

OL (9)

S. Satele, J. Reitz, D. Thomas, A. Castonzo, G. Cherilus, K. Holmes, H. Thornton, J. Linkenbach, B. Sowell     (Reitz, Linkenbach, and Sowell make the team after gaining game experience last year)

WR (5)

R. Wayne, D. Howard Bay, T.Y. Hilton, L. Brazil, L. Sampson     (Sampson beats out all other WR's for the 5th WR spot, and can return some kicks)

TE (3)

D. Allen, C. Fleener, J. Cunningham   (Cunningham shows enough to get the nod over Sanders, Sanders goes to practice squad waiting if there is an injury to any other TE)

QB (3)

A Luck, M. Hasselbeck, C. Harnish  (Harrnish may be inactive for some games if they feel they can go into battle with only 2 QB's on game day)

RB/FB (5)

V. Ballard, A. Bradshaw, S. Havili, D. Brown, K. Williams  (I think it is pretty much set, D. Carter is the odd man out, Brown stays because of speed)

TOTAL DEFENSE (25)

DL (7)

A Franklin, J. Chapman, M. Hughes, C. Redding, R.J. Francois, R. Mathews, F. Moala  (Nevis is traded for lower draft pick, he doesn't fit the scheme too well)

OLB (4)

R. Mathis, E. Walden, B. Werner, L. Sidbury       (pretty set here, as well as at ILB)

ILB (4)

K. Conner, J. Freeman, P. Angerer, K. Sheppard

CB (5)

V. Davis, G. Toler, D. Butler, C. Vaughn, S. Price   (Sheldon Price makes team due to size)

S (5)

A Bethea, L. Landry, J. Lefeged, S. Brown, J. Boyett   (Lefeged and Brown, along with Boyett, are going to make a lot special teams tackles)

KICKING (3)

A Vinatieri, P. McAfee, M. Overton  (Overton is a lucky dude, snaps for a living, nobody to really challenge him)

PRACTICE SQUAD (8)

E. Cleary OT, J. Kelley WR, W. Saunders TE, L. Guy DL, J. Hickman OLB, M. Harvey ILB, J. Gordy CB, B. McManus K

ON BUBBLE

J. Anderson OG, B. Ijalana OG, D. Carter RB, D. Nevis DE, D. Swanson S