Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DB is in a contract year...

MrNLM

He'll be an unrestricted free agent. The only tag or tender the team can use is the franchise tag, and like you say, that's just not gonna happen.

Cool, thanks for the info.  I wasn't exactly sure, and didn't figure it'd be easy to look up.  And, in that case, I just see one of two things happening:

A) DB goes to a place where he has a shot to win the starting role.

B) DB goes to the highest bidder, and that most likely is not the Colts.

Cool, thanks for the info.  I wasn't exactly sure, and didn't figure it'd be easy to look up.  And, in that case, I just see one of two things happening:

A) DB goes to a place where he has a shot to win the starting role.

B) DB goes to the highest bidder, and that most likely is not the Colts.

Assuming he has a year like his first four years here, he won't have very many bidders. It will be about him getting in a situation that he's comfortable with.

For him to get a shot at a starting role or get any significant offers after this season, he has to have a big breakout year. Not a Pro Bowl year, but he has to be a playmaker, he has to have statistical production (either 1,000 yards or 8+ touchdowns, with a 4.5ypc average), and he has to stay reasonably healthy. And if he does that, I wouldn't mind seeing us keep him on a reasonable one or two year deal.