Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cowboys 1st round pick: "I thought I was a 2nd-round lineman... I truly didn't expect this."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cowboys-jones-boys-deflate-own-football-people-draft-130339621.html

Yea, you know you messed up your pick when the player you drafted says he should have been taken later and when the head coach is rubbing his forehead. I believe Mike Mayock had him as a 3rd rounder, so even thinking he was a 2nd rounder is a tad generous.

"... the Cowboys almost certainly could have grabbed Frederick in the second round if they really wanted him. And given their glaring need at the safety position, passing up Florida safety Matt Elam (who the Baltimore Ravens took with the next pick) and Florida International safety Jonathan Cyprien (who will be a second-round steal for somebody) would tend to indicate that neither Jones in charge understands the concept of player value.

The Cowboys' recent draft history doesn't just suggest that fast; it confirms it. The team has precisely zero picks left on the roster from the 2009 draft -- also known as the Roy Williams draft, because that was when the Joneses got fleeced by the Detroit Lions into giving up their first-round pick for receiver Roy Williams."

I'd like to think the Cowboys knew what they were doing, but the article makes a good point about getting swindled with the Roy Williams deal. Sounds like the Cowboys don't do their homework when it comes to talent.