Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Years Rookie Class Will Carry The Colts For Years!

Exodus

Okay, im sold after three games on our rookies.

Anthony Castonzo: So, Im following this years Tackle class very closely and here is what i see. Tyron Smith is the ONLY tackle taken in the first round who can hold a flame to Castonzo. (Remember the difference of these two being taken) Gabe Carimi-Injured. Derek Sherrod-Injured. And Nate Solder is still SUPER raw, he's getting man handled ALOT!

Ben Ijilana: Im not sold, looked good in pre season. Maybe all he needs is a trial by fire.

Drake Nevis: This DT is the real flippen' deal. I watched some film on him and thought "Man, if he does this at the pro level, we will have the steal of the entire 2011 NFL draft." What i say last night had me speechless. He was EVERYWHERE! Exactly what we needed. Teams will look back and say, "Man, we should have taken him!!" Quick fact, Corey Liuget, the Chargers first round DT pick, only hase Three tackles on the season. Nevis has 13. 6 solo. Not to mention his motor. I dont say this about everyone, but he has (in my mind) the motor of N. Suh. He ALWAYS pursues the ball.

Delone Carter: All i have to say is, he beat a first round draft pick for a second string running back position. Nuff' said. And he has shown us, he has the speed to cut it outside.

Chris Rucker: He has the potential to be a star CB in this league. I just think he's a bit lazy. He will either be a star in this league, or be the next Adam "Pacman" Jones.

Chris Pollian did a GREAT job this year. A few more drafts like this and the Colts reign of supremacy in the AFC will continue for many more years.

Not sure this class will be enough to propel and we need Ijalana to work out for us because we need a RT, RG and a C for next season. If Pollack can make the transition over to C and Ijalana at RT, I will feel we are heading there and we will need one more excellent draft to make it. We have a lot of questions for next season and that will dictate how the team goes forward. If Manning is potentially done for the career (I don't believe it though) then this team will need a lot. If Manning is good to go, we need to either sign Mathis and Wayne or find replacements. Oh, btw, we also have to decide on signing Garcon, Gonzo, J. Anderson and T. Brayton (for the bigger DE package)and Simms or Wheeler. This team will have its hurdles and it will all start with Mannings health. This draft was nice (for a change of pace over the past 3 years) but we need a complete homerun hit with top draft pick choices.

Some may come in and claim inconsistency by Nevis. Before they do I want to point out that, especially in the first 2 games, he was more often playing beside Foster instead of Johnson. When he plays next to Johnson, there is no actual NT on the field so Nevis, being the bigger, stronger guy is going to get the double team before Foster would. In the Pittsburgh game, Nevis got to play next to Johnson, who is a true NT and he was much more effective. We need to either get rid of Foster or move him to DE and bring in another true NT. We can find one anywhere from the 1st through the early 4th round in the next draft. I'd personally like to add one more later round UT as well, or at least someone who is explosive enough to play both. That way we have a solid DT rotation.

The way Nevis threw Pouncey away and dropped Mendenhall (I think) was quite impressive. :) I would also like to say that, especially for someone else's 5th round pick that we signed off of their practice squad, I am incredibly pleased with Mookie Johnson. :)

What's with the strong feelings against Rucker?

What has he shown so far? Has Rucker even played cause I don't recall seeing his name or stats from him. Of course this is from a team of coaches who have felt Lacey was our best option so what can we take away from playing time. It seems to be all about who has he picture of Polian and the animals in various angles.

Castonzo = solid pickup, could be great, could stay stagnant

Ijalana = same as above

Nevis = Future Pro Bowl DT

Lefeged = looks like he could possibly be the next Bob, hopefully minus the injuries

Moten = possible diamond from the UDFA's

Thomas (I'm talking about him because this is his first year) = good potential, could go here or there)

All in all I think this is our best rookie class in a while. It could be the best class in terms of long run players since the Manning/Saturday class (even though Jeff signed here as a 2nd year guy)

What has he shown so far? Has Rucker even played cause I don't recall seeing his name or stats from him. Of course this is from a team of coaches who have felt Lacey was our best option so what can we take away from playing time. It seems to be all about who has he picture of Polian and the animals in various angles.

He was drafted 5 months ago sheesh? What should he have showed by now?

He was drafted 5 months ago sheesh? What should he have showed by now?

I am just saying, has he played any? Is he in on ST's and has he made any tackles or shown you a potential to be great? Did he stand out in the preseason? Don't just throw out the potential generic junk, they all have potential but the question is when have we seen that at the NFL level? So we have Tryon, Rucker, Thomas and above them now is Terrence Johnson, who got the nod over a bad playing Lacey. Powers is the only one who has a certain roster job as a CB right now, the rest perhaps are just waiting to show that potential on the practice squad and then on the field for the other starters spot because we are pretty sure it isn't coming from Lacey anymore.

BTW, I am not crapping on Rucker just asking what is the source of your optimism on Rucker?

I'm not judging Rucker as a football player, but as a person he has had some legal problems including assault in a dorm room dispute and drinking/driving arrest. Kid seems like he might not be able to keep his head straight, never seen him play @ Mich ST, bu it seems like potential is there.

Also don't forget about Kevin Thomas but he's not a rc.

I think Colts need another very solid year of drafting or two along maybe with some young FA's and UDFA's to be completely set for the future. Most of all a QB for the future.

All Colts fans said to themselves, "about time." when we drafted two O-Lineman, and a DT 1-2-3. Great safe draft. These guys do have talent, no doubt.

I pose this question: Are they really that good? or were the pathetic drafting of the past 3-4 drafts in rounds 1-2-3 make them look good?

personally, I think everydraft should have players drafted that high making an immediate impact on the team. Prior bad drafting makes these guys look even better.

What's with the strong feelings against Rucker?

Well, maybe I came off as a little harsh, but I don't really like him. He has potential, but I didn't like him at Michigan State. He's not going to be a starter with the Colts, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone before the beginning of next year. I just have a feeling.

Well, maybe I came off as a little harsh, but I don't really like him. He has potential, but I didn't like him at Michigan State. He's not going to be a starter with the Colts, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone before the beginning of next year. I just have a feeling.

Like i said, he is either a star the the next Adam "Pacman" Jones

I'm not judging Rucker as a football player, but as a person he has had some legal problems including assault in a dorm room dispute and drinking/driving arrest. Kid seems like he might not be able to keep his head straight, never seen him play @ Mich ST, bu it seems like potential is there.

Also don't forget about Kevin Thomas but he's not a rc.

I think Colts need another very solid year of drafting or two along maybe with some young FA's and UDFA's to be completely set for the future. Most of all a QB for the future.

I agree.

I am still not sure if behind closed doors the Colts are trying to convert rucker into a Safety or not either. I am a Wolverines fan so I watched him at MSU a bit. He is no Ed reed...but he tends to come up and hit like a cover two corner must, and he isnt really what I would call a ballhawk but he had a few picks. I think his mean streak is really the only interesting thing about him, but that didnt get a guy like Bernard Pollard too far either.