Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peytons influence on Broncos offense was limited to make sure what was done a lesser qb could do too to keep running the system

bayone

the Broncos and Manning have tried to work together from the start on what kind of playbook the team would use in Denver

. The feeling was, and is, the team has to have an offensive "system" it could use if and when somebody else has to play quarterback.

After Manning was signed, he met with the Broncos offensive coaches. The decision was made then that Manning would first learn the Broncos playbook — the version the team used before they went to the read option in 2011 — and then the decisions would be made about what to keep and what to add later.

idea was that it was easier for Manning to learn something new than it would be for all of the other offensive players to learn what Manning already knew

( & Manning learned it fast article says he was ready to go when the team opened its offseason workouts. )

As the team moved through the offseason workouts and training camp last spring and summer,

They  tweaked some of the terminology at times to call a selection of plays differently. But in large part, it was a Broncos playbook the offense ran this past season rather than just some imitation of the Colts playbook.

biggest change they will likely make this offseason will be to fulfill their promise to play faster next season, something Manning would like to do.

it's clear the Broncos want to move more quickly on offense and that's something Manning has said he wants to do as well.

Read more:Peyton Manning has big vote in Broncos offense, but not the only vote - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22491648/peyton-manning-has-big-vote-broncos-offense-but#ixzz2Je2KbEni

I dont know how much in common the two teams have, but every coach studying Denver's films notice it is mainly the old Colts playbook, and Bill Belichick said they were "identical". To be honest it is very similar except for their HB draws which were HB stretches in Colts playbook as Colts inside OL was much weaker.

This is very interesting because I do not konw why the Broncos didnt 'play fast' the way new England did..

We all talked about how that would be a major weapon in the mile high air....

They didnt use it against an again Baltimore team they led the entire game.

They used the 'no huddle' attack but it a was a slow 'no huddle'

I assumed it was because they were not in sync enough to call and run plays in 15-20 seconds

This is very interesting because I do not konw why the Broncos didnt 'play fast' the way new England did..

I assumed it was because they were not in sync enough to call and run plays in 15-20 seconds

Thats what I thought, and thought as season went on would quicken things up but just didnt

Guess felt as were # 1 seed whatever they were doing was working

If you have been watching Manning's games for a while you may notice this is a totally different no-huddle scheme. He needs to use the time to test the reaction of defense, understand whether certain players are blitzing or dropping into coverage. Sometimes good defensive players can hide his intention to the last seconds. Also after reading the D Manning will give asignments to the OL and RB for protection, and tell the receivers where to go. Patriots no-huddle is much simpler and the only read a few things and the assignemnts are just choice between a few plays they have practiced with. So by nature Manning doesnt run the high rythm offense Pats do.

I dont know how much in common the two teams have, but every coach studying Denver's films notice it is mainly the old Colts playbook, and Bill Belichick said they were "identical". To be honest it is very similar except for their HB draws which were HB stretches in Colts playbook as Colts inside OL was much weaker.

Much was like the old Colts to me with slight twists maybe & much more running plays for balance they wanted and used especially early in year and once at least in playoff game a 2 back set , but used that  at years start way more but never really worked

In fact another artice pointed out that the trade to Colts of Vaughn for FB Gronkowski was a complete waist as never used as envisioned

If you have been watching Manning's games for a while you may notice this is a totally different no-huddle scheme. He needs to use the time to test the reaction of defense, understand whether certain players are blitzing or dropping into coverage. Sometimes good defensive players can hide his intention to the last seconds. Also after reading the D Manning will give asignments to the OL and RB for protection, and tell the receivers where to go. Patriots no-huddle is much simpler and the only read a few things and the assignemnts are just choice between a few plays they have practiced with. So by nature Manning doesnt run the high rythm offense Pats do.

there was a time when V Colt Peyton  did, they called it the stampede , it was a variation of the Oregon Blur offense and did it on a subnday night once and blew collinsworth away

I had wrote it somewhere  else when this was brought up

Under Review: Unleashing the Stampede

peyton can & has

run it as fast as brady before at least with colts

it was called the blur fast offense or

Stampede

UNFORTUNATELY MY

LINK GOeS BACK TO THE ARTICLE I POSTED MORE OF with original article

link

IN MY COLTS AND AS

SITE NO LONGER EXISTS THE FULL ARTICLE IS LOST

Not

every quarterback and every system can run the blur. This is because the

quarterback must know the play, race to the line, analyze the defense and make

any necessary audibles in a matter of 10-15 seconds for consecutive plays at a

time.

Luckily

for Colts fans, number 18 may just be the best player to ever play his position

and someone capable of running such a set with little to no input from the

sidelines.

Since

2006 the Colts have

gone 20-4 over night games averaging a ridiculous 31.2 points a game under the

lights

But

if you were ever going to do it, and are particularly itching to pick against

Peyton and crew, this week's upcoming game may be your best bet.

The

Colts have suffered through injury news that would all but doom every other team

in the league. These last seven days the Colts learned they will be without the

services of Dallas Clark, the game's top tight end, for the

remainder of the season. To make matters worse (although losing Dallas is close

to rock bottom) the Colts also announced thatAustin Collie could miss significant time with a thumb

injury. That is roughly 14 catches, 140 yards and 10 points a game the Colts

will have to replace. Yikes. On top of that that both Garcon and Gonzalez are

still banged up or hurt, Addai can barely lift his arm above his shoulder and

offensive line is more porous than the Mexican border. Add it all up and no

other team in the league could overcome it. Period

However,

if last week's new play calling is any indication, I wouldn't be too confident

about the Houston beef patties just yet. Borrowing from the University of

Oregon,

the Colts employed a new offense coming to be known as the blur. An

offense so electric its capable of matching the Ducks bright yellow jerseys, the

blur is actually incredibly simple: accelerate the pace between snaps to such a

degree that you never allow the defense to set, forcing them to always react.

The Sunday night Indy version of this - the Stampede, because the offense just

let loose allowing the horses to run wild - both exhausted and stupefied the

Redskins defense to the tune of 470 yards. Washington simply had no answer. The

Stampede maybe the formula that saves the Colts season from buckling under the

weight of injuries.

The

stampede (or blur) is not revolutionary. Nor is it particularly exotic. It’s

just fast. The key is for the quarterback to know the next play call as soon as

the previous play finishes. The team must sprint to the line fast enough to keep

the defense from substituting or even having a chance to catch their

breathes.

Football

is a chess match. The beauty of the sport is in the strategy with games always

about adjustments and readjustments. Both sides punch and counter punch and

adapt throughout the game.

The idea behind the stampede is to hit the defense

with a flurry of punches keeping them exhausted, always on the defensive and

forcing them to constantly react rather than respond. Many doubters have said

the blur couldn't work in the NFL. Now they have seen it

Already

known for fast play the Colts pushed it to mach speeds with great success. Chris

Collinsworth was so giddy over the new stampede that he practically declared

himself the new voice of the Colts play-by-play.

UNFORTUNATELY MY LINK GOeS BACK TO THE ARTICLE I

POSTED MORE OF with original article link

back in

IN MY COLTS AND AS SITE NO LONGER EXISTS THE FULL

ARTICLE IS LOST

Read my above  quite comment / article back to tonychen , i forgot tyo add u as a multiple quote on when Peyton went super fast for 1st time in NFL & no one thoight could be done, Chris Collinsowrth loved it, Its details are all noted 

& Thats what we both I think were hoping for

B

To me, the idea is to get a base defense on the field and keep it there. That way you are seeing basically the

same thing you saw on the last play because they dont have time to change.

You dont have to pass out of the NE hurry up and they must have some predesigned play sequences..

or one-word play calls, right? That's the only way they can run a play that fast...

The speed attack keeps the same base defense on the field..and wears them down...and it would be even more effective in

the second half of a game in a place like Denver.

I would bet cash money that Denver will eventually is mix the two...No huddle 'hurry' and no huddle......

In this season last..they did not use the no huddle to their advantage

Peytons influence on Broncos offense was limited to make sure what was done a lesser qb could do too to keep running the system

Watching 1 of the leagues greatest QB's  play that game was tough , Peyton Manning taking that knee with out attempting to get within FG range had me curious as a Colts fan I'v watched him pull many last min WINS .  Just look down the field  nothing available fine throw it out or take your knee , Denver defense failed who's to say the Ravens could'nt do the same .

Yes there have been ugly ending's to our season but all in all as a Colt fan I always knew our best chance to win , Meant let Peyton Manning show you why he's so special . In Peyton We Trusted . Champ Baily- Peyton Manning  blame whomever you chose .  

To limit Peyton Manning ?  John Fox  ?? Really  ?? so that a lesser QB can run your system  . You Sir are the biggest Loser .

:goat:

B

To me, the idea is to get a base defense on the field and keep it there. That way you are seeing basically the

same thing you saw on the last play because they dont have time to change.

You dont have to pass out of the NE hurry up and they must have some predesigned play sequences..

or one-word play calls, right? That's the only way they can run a play that fast...

The speed attack keeps the same base defense on the field..and wears them down...and it would be even more effective in

the second half of a game in a place like Denver.

I would bet cash money that Denver will eventually is mix the two...No huddle 'hurry' and no huddle......

In this season last..they did not use the no huddle to their advantage

The injury to Knoshone Moreno was huge since the replacement Hillman had limitations in pass protection, and they flow of offense was interrupted in the 2nd half. And he just cannot get some tough yards from the middle which Moreno could get. Also the Ravens dialed up the pressure on pass rush, and it showed the impact in the 3rd qtr.

The ultimate key is being able to run effectively when the defense are playing deeper coverage. As far as the Ravens front 7 can stop the run without safety help and cover the short pass pretty well, which was the case in their entire playoff run so far, the quick no-huddle will not do much damage to them either. Look at the score of the AFCCG, they only managed to get 13 pts.

Watching 1 of the leagues greatest QB's  play that game was tough , Peyton Manning taking that knee with out attempting to get within FG range had me curious as a Colts fan I'v watched him pull many last min WINS .  Just look down the field  nothing available fine throw it out or take your knee , Denver defense failed who's to say the Ravens could'nt do the same .

Yes there have been ugly ending's to our season but all in all as a Colt fan I always knew our best chance to win , Meant let Peyton Manning show you why he's so special . In Peyton We Trusted . Champ Baily- Peyton Manning  blame whomever you chose .  

To limit Peyton Manning ?  John Fox  ?? Really  ?? so that a lesser QB can run your system  . You Sir are the biggest Loser .

I believe at the time they signed him they thought about running mainly the Denver system and I dont blame them for doing so since they still didn't know how far Manning's health could carry him. They had to play a managable game in the sense that a backup QB could run, otherwise they could be at the spot of the 2011 Colts and Curtis Painter if Manning goes down. With the games going, especially after the 6th week's come-back at San Diego, they pretty much let Manning run his old playbook, which was very obvious.

Pretty sure the conservative approach in the playoff had nothing to do with the system here and it was more about Manning's arm strength and the team's mentality at the point.

The injury to Knoshone Moreno was huge since the replacement Hillman had limitations in pass protection, and they flow of offense was interrupted in the 2nd half. And he just cannot get some tough yards from the middle which Moreno could get. Also the Ravens dialed up the pressure on pass rush, and it showed the impact in the 3rd qtr.

The ultimate key is being able to run effectively when the defense are playing deeper coverage. As far as the Ravens front 7 can stop the run without safety help and cover the short pass pretty well, which was the case in their entire playoff run so far, the quick no-huddle will not do much damage to them either. Look at the score of the AFCCG, they only managed to get 13 pts.

they dialed up the D pass rush yes but also too was an injured Clady ( shoulder  -- injury never detailed even though fox said he would -- and couldn't practice at all iin bye  week )  & Kuper,. both needing surgery now, and I am appalled they let kuper play on re fractured ankle  & that's why he was out  4 games till then as broke Dec 2nd Tampa game , I described the break & as I did ankle surgery 1 wrong play, 1 bad fall or trip and landing wrong and g he was chancing his career ., what gets me is if they won these guys would of keep playing 1 if not 2 more games

u r correct about Moreno, rushing up the middle, pass protection as well as a good pass catcher and not h just as a check down back but running a pattern out of the backfield

as far as Ravens , their revamped OL was quite good

I believe at the time they signed him they thought about running mainly the Denver system and I dont blame them for doing so since they still didn't know how far Manning's health could carry him. They had to play a managable game in the sense that a backup QB could run, otherwise they could be at the spot of the 2011 Colts and Curtis Painter if Manning goes down. With the games going, especially after the 6th week's come-back at San Diego, they pretty much let Manning run his old playbook, which was very obvious.

Pretty sure the conservative approach in the playoff had nothing to do with the system here and it was more about Manning's arm strength and the team's mentality at the point.

when signed they wanted a 2 back system that failed when used  often early  in year & later in year when used sparingly

Mentally a good coach , at least I feel should be able to Rally the troops when shocked  and prepare them for any eventuality in a 60 minute game  so wont be shocked and not let emotions get out of control, esp as 2  long TDs were already made & 1 missed to smith by overthrow

I agree & blame cold & numbness that Peyton didnt have usually arm strength but 

Thats what u paid him for, to be big in those moments with some time & some timeouts  & that  3rd & 7

just using extra OL & only decker as reciver, no TE's so he couldnt even audible if wanted to pass, who to the extra eligible lineman 

when signed they wanted a 2 back system that failed when used  often early  in year & later in year when used sparingly

Mentally a good coach , at least I feel should be able to Rally the troops when shocked  and prepare them for any eventuality in a 60 minute game  so wont be shocked and not let emotions get out of control, esp as 2  long TDs were already made & 1 missed to smith by overthrow

I agree & blame cold & numbness that Peyton didnt have usually arm strength but 

Thats what u paid him for, to be big in those moments with some time & some timeouts  & that  3rd & 7

just using extra OL & only decker as reciver, no TE's so he couldnt even audible if wanted to pass, who to the extra eligible lineman 

At the end with about 30sec left and no timeouts, everybody thought the game was over. Friends of mine even turned to other channels. obviously Manning did not even try a deep pass in the entire 2nd half and if he did have some consistency or strength issue I just don't want to see Ed Reed ints him and let them win the game with a last second FG.

For me the problem to their coaching staff is failing to recognize the game situation. As they were playing conservative for the entire game, at least they should place 1 more DB to stop the only big plays that could tie the game. I have never seen an NFL level coach playing a normal defensive package under such circumstance.

At the end with about 30sec left and no timeouts, everybody thought the game was over. Friends of mine even turned to other channels. obviously Manning did not even try a deep pass in the entire 2nd half and if he did have some consistency or strength issue I just don't want to see Ed Reed ints him and let them win the game with a last second FG.

For me the problem to their coaching staff is failing to recognize the game situation. As they were playing conservative for the entire game, at least they should place 1 more DB to stop the only big plays that could tie the game. I have never seen an NFL level coach playing a normal defensive package under such circumstance.

Yes was obvious in 2nd half the cold got to him worse than first, the halftime  break hurt

Truly was amazing they didnt go max out to prevent such an occurance on a single deep pass

also he wasn't jammed a line of scrimmage, & Miore was playing much closer than his equivalent on the other side , even though Flaccos's tendencies was to go towards the right

Cant fault u at all for what u r saying here