Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Having no o- line is frustrating

Dark Superman

Or pretty good, for that guy's team. JJ Watt is one of the best defenders in the league. He dominates practically every week.

10 solo tackles . 3 sacks . 6 tackles for a loss and 4 QB hits are a bit over what he has been doing to other teams. 

Offensive line was certainly bad, but I'm not entirely sure that is why we lost.  We should have scored at least 31 points.  When you do things like getting on the 1 yard line against a solid team and you fumble, that's a recipe for a loss.  When you get in the red zone again and go 3 and out, that just adds to it even more.  Finally, when you are in your own territory and you allow the opponent to block your punt and get a TD off of it, that's a formula for a loss.  Also the run defense was doing okay for a great portion of the first half, and then they suddenly turn into swiss cheese.  That's a formula for a loss!  I think everything I mentioned above was more of the reason for the loss.

10 solo tackles . 3 sacks . 6 tackles for a loss and 4 QB hits are a bit over what he has been doing to other teams. 

All I'm saying is that JJ Watt is a force, despite the fact that he's technically a defensive tackle. He's the best defender in the league right now.

All I'm saying is that JJ Watt is a force, despite the fact that he's technically a defensive tackle. He's the best defender in the league right now.

Of coarse he'e great , but my God , you at least have to slow him down and not let him dominate the game. He had around 60 tackles comig into the game and throws 10 unassisted at you . That's just insane. I've seen players have 5-6 sacks in a game but never have I seen a DT blow up so many plays. Our right side of the line is just not starter material. But what can you do when your GM whiffs 5-6 drafts in succesion and we were up aganst the cap. Stop gap might be the words....

Of coarse he'e great , but my God , you at least have to slow him down and not let him dominate the game. He had around 60 tackles comig into the game and throws 10 unassisted at you . That's just insane. I've seen players have 5-6 sacks in a game but never have I seen a DT blow up so many plays. Our right side of the line is just not starter material. But what can you do when your GM whiffs 5-6 drafts in succesion and we were up aganst the cap. Stop gap might be the words....

That bolded part is kind of what I was getting at. JJ Watt isn't just a defensive tackle. He's a hybrid lineman who comes at you from all over the field. And more importantly, he's dang good at what he does. I feel like you're pigeonholing him by referring to him as a defensive tackle, as if he's not supposed to be so dominant because of what position he plays. We're two years into his career now; we didn't make him look that good, he IS that good.

Ironically, the "slow him down and not let him dominate the game" part is somewhat along the lines of what I was getting at in the gameplan thread. Schematically, there are things we could have done to protect Luck a little better. But that wouldn't have changed how good Watt is.

Just an aside, as the season wears on and I look more and more at some of the linemen that were available in free agency, and the cap space we still have (we're about $10m below the cap for 2012), we could have done more with the offensive line in the offseason. Ben Grubbs was one of the highest rated guys available, and his cap hit for this season is $2.7m. It shoots up in 2013, but that's the business; if we sign free agents this offseason, they'll have escalating contracts as well. We could have made some moves, maybe not for the marquee guys, but we didn't have to stock our offensive line with lower tier guys. I think we could have done better than McGlynn and Justice if we had devoted some more resources to it.

Alas.

QB Hits:

1. Indianapolis Colts 107

2. Philadelphia Eagles 105

3. Jacksonville Jaguars 91

Sacks:

1. Arizona Cardinals 52

2. Green Bay Packers 45

3. San Diego Chargers 43

9. Indianapolis Colts 37

Offensive Line has to be the top priority for next year, a look at the stats shows what we already know: Our O-line stinks! Most QB hits (!!!) and without the mobility of Luck we would be in the top 3 in allowed sacks too. This really scares me and I hope Andrew survives his rookie season without any major injury.