Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy makes list of Top-6 off-season moves....

NewColtsFan

The list is on ESPN.com and they polled 6 NFL head coaches or personnel people.      They were asked for their favorite off-season move by any team other than their own.

Indy is on the list for hiring Chris Ballard....      here are the comments....

Indianapolis' hiring of general manager Chris Ballard

Ballard, who was hired after four seasons in the Chiefs' front office, replaced Ryan Grigson and has immediately reshaped the Indianapolis Colts' defense.

" just think he's going to do a really good job there," a front-office executive said. "[He] has already done a nice job adding some quality players to that defense through both free agency and the draft. The Colts will be a really tough team to beat here in two or three years if he builds that team like I think he will (heavy on defense with lots of pass-rushers and corners like Kansas City)."

Among Ballard's notable moves: the free-agent additions of outside linebackers Jabaal Sheard and John Simon and defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins and the recent additions of safety Malik Hooker (first round) and cornerback Quincy Wilson (second round) in the draft.

"That team will always be good as long as [quarterback Andrew] Luck is there, but just imagine what they could do with a legit defense," the exec said. "Could be a legitimate contender within a couple years."

Those who have worked with Ballard speak exceedingly highly of both his character and his scouting acumen. Indianapolis hit a home run with this hire.

It's just nice that the Colts are heading in the right direction. For my 2 cents, I haven't been this excited about football since AL was drafted. He'll finally have a D to lean on(not to diminish how hard our defenses have tried to be competitive), and bail our offense out from time to time. Balance has kept the Colts out of contention for far too long.  Ballard/Luck is definateley the cornerstone, to build on and make the Colts a contender again. 

They always say good things about a new GM when he's hired the same way they say good things about a new coach when he was hired.  

The proof will be in the pudding.  

For the record I hope they are right and Ballard does a great job.  I'm just going to temper my expectations.  

Well our defense was so bad, I doubt Ballard could screw it up worse than what it is (averaged 26th in every defensive category), so yes, it's a definite improvement.

I remember reading something about Luck is undefeated when our defense holds the opponents to, what, under 10 or so pts? If so, our defense should rightfully be the focus.