Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You be the GM Mock Offseason

Feel free to post your version of what you would do. Below is what I would do as GM in both free agency and the draft...

Resign - TE Jack Doyle, CB/FS Darius Butler, S Mike Adams, NT Zach Kerr

Extend - OG Jack Mewhort, WR Donte Moncrief

Release - OLB Erik Walden, ILB D'Qwell Jackson, CB Patrick Robinson, RB Frank Gore, OLB Trent Cole, DT Art Jones

I don't have an exact number on what the cap space would look like after all these releases, but I figure it's north of 65 million, plenty of room to sign a couple big names.

Free Agent Signings - NT Dontari Poe, RG Kevin Zeitler, DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard

2017 NFL Draft

1 Pick 20 (via Den) - Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

2 Pick 4 (via Chi) - Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA

2 Pick 19 (via Den) - Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama

3 Pick 15 - Kevin King, CB, Washington

4 Pick 14 - Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson

4 Pick 20 (via Den) - Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

5 Pick 16 - Jalen Reeves-Maybin, ILB/OLB, Tennessee

6 Pick 15 - Da'Shawn Hand, DT/DE, Alabama

Trades - Indy trades 14th and 4th round comp pick to Denver for 20th, 2nd, 4th round picks

- Indy trades 2nd, 2018 3rd to Chicago for 2nd

Team analysis after offseason - Indy has vastly improved their pass rush with the additions of Sheard, McKinley, and Anderson. Indy finally gets a true NT in Poe who also can provide pass rush from the interior. CB position is much improved by adding a potential shutdown corner in Sidney Jones, and another talented long corner in Kevin King. Butler plays the nickel and also fills in at FS when needed. Indy has some new young talented RBs in Gallman and Hunt. Between them and also Turbin, Indy should be much improved in their running game, something that is much needed to help ease the pressure off Luck. The only position that is still a bit of a question mark is ILB. I drafted Jalen Reeves-Maybin to play there since he is a great coverage LB prospect in my view. If Maybin, Morrison, or Edwin Jackson don't prove to be the answers in 2017, Indy could then draft a ILB round 1 or 2 in 2018.

Erik Walden and Trent Cole are FA's so you do not have to release them.

Where as I see trades as hard to calculate I like these moves and love that draft.  I would be very happy with this offseason in all honesty.  I doubt we would release Gore but anything is possible these days in Indy!

I like the Jabaal Sheard signing. I was hoping we would sign him a couple of years ago. He is one of those slightly under the radar signings that would not command the big bucks. 

I also like the Kevin Zeitler signing, but if we sign him I would not extend Mewhort. I am not that high on Mewhort personally. He is fairly slow and largely mediocre. I would extend Moncrief for the right price. 

Personally, I would shop Dorsett or Moncrief to see if we can get a 2nd rounder for either player. This is not a particularly strong WR draft. 

Your draft is interesting. I am not sure the Chicago trade for a 2nd round pick is feasible, but you are thinking outside the box which is always great to see!