Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Step back from the ledge RE: FA signings

cmgww

People need to step back from the ledge with all these posts about how we're not going after big names (Asomugha, Weddle, Haynesworth? really??)

The Colts RARELY do that. And all they have to show for it is a Super Bowl win, a SB runner up, and 9 straight 10 win seasons....

They will find a few guys to plug holes. But going after big name guys has never been the Colts' way of doing things. They build through the draft and UDFAs.

I think it's just this weird, fast and furious FA signing period that has people up in arms. But really, it's no different than in year's past. In 2009 we had a decent defense and great offense and made the SB. 2010 was a throwaway year b/c of the injuries (and stop w/ the Green Bay comparisons; they didn't have the same degree of injuries to key offensive personnel)

This offense has the potential to be downright scary this year with all the returning guys, plus some backups that got great playing time like Blair White and Tamme. Re-sign Addai and it's game on! The D should be better than last year. Will they ever be the Steelers? Probably not, but they'll do enough.

And keep in mind, while NE got Fat Albert, they still have GLARING holes in the LB and secondary corps. So ease back and let's see how this plays out

People need to step back from the ledge with all these posts about how we're not going after big names (Asomugha, Weddle, Haynesworth? really??)

The Colts RARELY do that. And all they have to show for it is a Super Bowl win, a SB runner up, and 9 straight 10 win seasons....

They will find a few guys to plug holes. But going after big name guys has never been the Colts' way of doing things. They build through the draft and UDFAs.

I think it's just this weird, fast and furious FA signing period that has people up in arms. But really, it's no different than in year's past. In 2009 we had a decent defense and great offense and made the SB. 2010 was a throwaway year b/c of the injuries (and stop w/ the Green Bay comparisons; they didn't have the same degree of injuries to key offensive personnel)

This offense has the potential to be downright scary this year with all the returning guys, plus some backups that got great playing time like Blair White and Tamme. Re-sign Addai and it's game on! The D should be better than last year. Will they ever be the Steelers? Probably not, but they'll do enough.

And keep in mind, while NE got Fat Albert, they still have GLARING holes in the LB and secondary corps. So ease back and let's see how this plays out

While I agree that this is not the normal way of doing things for the colts it appears we need to change our tune a little bit. What is our playoff record in the past 9 seasons? Even Jim Irsay was quoted that we may make a splash in the FA market this year. The draft and UDFA process works good over time but the colts are becoming a win now team with every year older peyton gets. We can't keep playing the system the same way forever. We must change with the times and adapt to what will work for us now.

Just worried that with guys like Foster in our division, Colts will continue to struggle stopping the run. In the season opener last year against Hou "Manning finished with 433 yards passing, his most since 2004 and the fourth-highest opening weekend total since 1933. He completed a single-game franchise record 40 of a career-high 57 passes with three touchdowns." That STILL wasn't enough because our fresh D couldn't make a stop. Hand the ball to Foster and watch him go! He ran for a record 231 yards in that game. That keeps the clock winding down and Peyton and his boys off the field. Doesn't leave the O with enough time to play catch-up...That's why Peyton has 45 (a record I believe) 4th quarter winning drives...(Your team has to be behind in the 4th quarter in order to do that)....He's always playing catch-up.

The answer?...I'm not sure, but I do believe the D needs some help somehow. It's not like their poor rushing D is a fluke...It happens EVERY year. Yes, we won a SuperBowl, but the D somehow stepped it up in the playoffs. They were terrible before in the regular season and after that. Haven't seen that D back since those playoffs...

Again, not sure of the answer, but if I hear 1 more word about signing another WR, or anybody else on O now that our line has improved, I'm gonna scream...