Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stanford WR Griff Whalen Agree's To Terms With Colts

Restored

coach, my thought exactly. people complain about peyton and offensive takes in the draft.. colts did it again. why on earth are the colts grabbing only stanford offensive players for luck. bad move imo.

Luck was the top rated QB in the draft. Fleener was the top rated TE in the draft. It made sense to draft them, and as a bonus, they already have chemistry from playing together in college. As for Wahlen, it's highly unlikely that he will make the team.

The value that I see here is that Luck, Fleener, and Whalen can get their play books, study, train, and work out together at Stanford, running through the routes etc..

thanks for stating the obviuos about luck. as for fleener and whalen, why not go udfa or fa to surround luck with instead of wasting a pick on whalen. could have gone for an o lineman, cb, ect. and fleener was not the top rated te of the draft comintators had other te listed above fleener and this te group was rated one of the weakest ever. there were fa te that could have complemented luck more than fleener. just an observation.

thanks for stating the obviuos about luck. as for fleener and whalen, why not go udfa or fa to surround luck with instead of wasting a pick on whalen. could have gone for an o lineman, cb, ect. and fleener was not the top rated te of the draft comintators had other te listed above fleener and this te group was rated one of the weakest ever. there were fa te that could have complemented luck more than fleener. just an observation.

We didn't draft Whalen, he was picked up as an Undrafted Free Agent. It didn't cost us a pick. We added to the O-line for depth. I think it came down to a decision by the FO and their draft board when deciding on drafting receiver over DB's. The receivers graded higher than the remaining DB's.

im getting my fingers crossed, i ment fleener at 2. i saw better picks for the defense at 2. what have fans complained about for over 5 plus years.. lack luster defense. what did the colts do in the draft.. go draft o. with a weak of defense as the colts have, i would havereally thought the colts would have went d. dont get me wrong, i like fleener, but we also got allen who is a better blocking te than fleener with raw talant that is developing. fleener could be the next gronk or graham. i just want to see a solid d in indy.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Never underestimate the role of the practice squad for preparing the team for an upcoming game. This give developmental players the opportunity to think like the opponent and learn the nuances of the game.
    • Everyone is bunched up at the bottom:   Brewers 49-34 Cardinals 42-40 Pirates 39-43 Reds 39-44 Cubs 39-45
    • My concerns are less with the players than integrating the way the players we have with the strategies and tactics from some of our coaching - especially on defense. There are no perfect football teams, but you can develop strategies to beat any football team if your are smart enough and creative enough. This brings me to my concern: Are some of the coaches we have too dogmatic in doing things the way they've always been done? I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.
    • Wepner had a strong chin, he was a good fighter.
    • My 2 cents, 4 counting inflation, on the O-Line...    While I agree with @CR91 regarding injury issues, I also agree with @NewColtsFan that the line is above average. Talk about straddling the fence, lol!  They both make valid points though.   LT: Raimann got a late start in college football due to mandatory military service in Austria. He played his first two seasons as a Tight End before being converted into a Tackle. So he was late in the game at LT coming out of college, 25 at the start of his rookie season. That could be either good or bad, meaning he has room to grow or he may be at his ceiling. I am of the belief he has room to ascend and will.   LG: Q isn't the player that the Colts drafted due to injuries, though he seemed to turn the corner last year. I am of the belief that he will continue to ascend to near All Pro status, though it is tempered.   C; Kelly bounced back last year from injuries, family issues, and concussions(yes, they could be considered injuries). I am of the belief that he will be one of the better Centers in the game this year, though Bortolini may be waiting in the wings.   RG: Fries is considered the "weak link" but played reasonably well last year. Another ascending year is very possible and most likely will price him out of the Colts plans in 2025, especially with Concalves and Bortolini as possible replacements.   RT: Smith showed a warriors heart playing injured last year and hopefully his offseason surgery corrected the issue. He has a 19+ million dollar cap hit next year, so there is extra incentive for him to perform to it and hopefully an extension.   Bench: Concalves and Bortolini come in with solid press clippings, and the ability to play more than one position, but have to show it at the pro level, I believe they will. Freeland was shown the baptism by fire treatment and had mixed results. Let's hope he learned from his mistakes and worked on his strength, as the Swing Tackle spot is up for grabs. I don't rule out a veteran FA to take that spot though, plus Witt is a relative unknown quantity due to missing his rookie campaign.    In conclusion, I could see a very good and deep Offensive Line, though injury and experience concerns are definitely something to be aware of. 
  • Members