Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2024 draft grade and expectations

Let's take a look at how the colts did in this draft and how they filled needs

Laiatu Latu Edge UCLA 

Draft Grade A

The draft falling how it did couldn't have been more perfect for the colts as they had the pick of the litter of defensive players and they decide to go with arguably one of the best pass rushers since Nick Bosa. 51 sacks last year and now you add a potential double digit pass rusher and you have a dline that can be top 5 in the league.

Adonai Mitchell WR Texas 

Draft Grade A

Mitchell falling to 52 still baffles me. There is nothing talent-wise he can't do. He has top end speed, great hands, crisp route running, and a ridiculous catch radius. Interviews maybe he comes off as ignorant and it could rub people the wrong way, but the talent is undeniable. I have no doubt Pitt and Reggie will get Mitchell where he needs to be mentally. 

Matt Goncalves T Pitt

Draft Grade B-

I think the colts saw Goncalves as a player that automatically will add depth to T which is needed, but also a player that was highly touted before he got hurt. My issue with this pick though is where is he playing on the line? Raimann is the unquestioned LT and Braden Smith isn't a FA til 2026 unless the Colts are planning to cut him in 2025 as cap casualty. Maybe for Fries who is a FA. 

Tanor Bortolini G/C Wisconsin

Draft Grade B

I like this pick more then Goncalves because I think Tanor has a lot of Jason Kelce in him. Incredibly athletic for an olinemen and provides us our possible future C. 

Anthony Gould WR Oregon State

Draft Grade B+

Love this pick. This kid his turbo speed and if you're a Madden player he's a joy stick. Obviously he'll get his first chance on the field in the return game, but the way this kid can make players look silly in the open field I doubt it will be long til he finds some role on the offense.

Jaylin Carlies LB Missouri

Draft Grade C-

Maybe I'm being critical, but I'm not a fan of this pick. I don't think he's that good of a tackler as I've seen him whiff tackles constantly. I think he's decent in coverage, but to convert him to LBer I think it's going to be a project.

Jaylin Simpson DB Auburn

Draft Grade B

I like the potential in Simpson. I see him more as nickel then a FS for his size. I think he has great ball instincts and playmaking ability, but he's very small and needs to add weight.

Micah Abraham CB Marshall

Draft Grade C+

Another undersize CB in lesser competition conference, but he definitely took advantage getting his hands on a number of ints. Nice depth/ST for now and a player to possibly groom.

Jonah Laulu DT Oklahoma 

Draft Grade - N/A

I'll be honest I don't know much about this player. Kinda like the Witt pick last year the colts are going off traits, but I think he's a camp body/practice squad candidate.

Overall, I think the colts filled needs, but got top players they didn't expect to get either. Latu and Mitchell imo will have instant impact on the team and Gould gets me very excited. I just wish more attention was given to the secondary, but I won't complain about getting depth on the oline.

Overall Grade A-

• Like 2

The Goncalves pick will either be incredibly genius or a near wasted pick IMHO. We needed depth but I don’t think we needed to invest that much in a back up when we have Freeland and Witt waiting behind smith and Raimann. If you flipped him with Bortolini I think I would have been happier. I’m higher on Carlies and Abraham then you but lower on Simpson.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

The Goncalves pick will either be incredibly genius or a near wasted pick IMHO. We needed depth but I don’t think we needed to invest that much in a back up when we have Freeland and Witt waiting behind smith and Raimann. If you flipped him with Bortolini I think I would have been happier. I’m higher on Carlies and Abraham then you but lower on Simpson.

I think the fact that Ballard traded UP to make sure they got Gonsalves should tell you just how much they like the kid.   On draft night Ballard said they think the kid can play any position on the OL except LT.   

I’d also remind that our new DL coach, Partridge, was on the Pitt coaching staff and while he didn’t coach Gonzalves he has inside information about him and perhaps what other teams thought of him. 

Just some food for thought. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 5:41 PM, CR91 said:

Let's take a look at how the colts did in this draft and how they filled needs

Laiatu Latu Edge UCLA 

Draft Grade A

The draft falling how it did couldn't have been more perfect for the colts as they had the pick of the litter of defensive players and they decide to go with arguably one of the best pass rushers since Nick Bosa. 51 sacks last year and now you add a potential double digit pass rusher and you have a dline that can be top 5 in the league.

Adonai Mitchell WR Texas 

Draft Grade A

Mitchell falling to 52 still baffles me. There is nothing talent-wise he can't do. He has top end speed, great hands, crisp route running, and a ridiculous catch radius. Interviews maybe he comes off as ignorant and it could rub people the wrong way, but the talent is undeniable. I have no doubt Pitt and Reggie will get Mitchell where he needs to be mentally. 

Matt Goncalves T Pitt

Draft Grade B-

I think the colts saw Goncalves as a player that automatically will add depth to T which is needed, but also a player that was highly touted before he got hurt. My issue with this pick though is where is he playing on the line? Raimann is the unquestioned LT and Braden Smith isn't a FA til 2026 unless the Colts are planning to cut him in 2025 as cap casualty. Maybe for Fries who is a FA. 

Tanor Bortolini G/C Wisconsin

Draft Grade B

I like this pick more then Goncalves because I think Tanor has a lot of Jason Kelce in him. Incredibly athletic for an olinemen and provides us our possible future C. 

Anthony Gould WR Oregon State

Draft Grade B+

Love this pick. This kid his turbo speed and if you're a Madden player he's a joy stick. Obviously he'll get his first chance on the field in the return game, but the way this kid can make players look silly in the open field I doubt it will be long til he finds some role on the offense.

Jaylin Carlies LB Missouri

Draft Grade C-

Maybe I'm being critical, but I'm not a fan of this pick. I don't think he's that good of a tackler as I've seen him whiff tackles constantly. I think he's decent in coverage, but to convert him to LBer I think it's going to be a project.

Jaylin Simpson DB Auburn

Draft Grade B

I like the potential in Simpson. I see him more as nickel then a FS for his size. I think he has great ball instincts and playmaking ability, but he's very small and needs to add weight.

Micah Abraham CB Marshall

Draft Grade C+

Another undersize CB in lesser competition conference, but he definitely took advantage getting his hands on a number of ints. Nice depth/ST for now and a player to possibly groom.

Jonah Laulu DT Oklahoma 

Draft Grade - N/A

I'll be honest I don't know much about this player. Kinda like the Witt pick last year the colts are going off traits, but I think he's a camp body/practice squad candidate.

Overall, I think the colts filled needs, but got top players they didn't expect to get either. Latu and Mitchell imo will have instant impact on the team and Gould gets me very excited. I just wish more attention was given to the secondary, but I won't complain about getting depth on the oline.

Overall Grade A-

I guess you’re weighting the first two picks heavily.   Because everything after those picks are B’s and C’s, and an Inc.   So I was guessing you’d give an overall grade of B/B+. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I guess you’re weighting the first two picks heavily.   Because everything after those picks are B’s and C’s, and an Inc.   So I was guessing you’d give an overall grade of B/B+. 

Grading on a curve 😂.

Latu and Mitchell to me make this draft. It's hard to say it's not an A when you get two players no one expected to be there

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the fact that Ballard traded UP to make sure they got Gonsalves should tell you just how much they like the kid.   On draft night Ballard said they think the kid can play any position on the OL except LT.   

I’d also remind that our new DL coach, Partridge, was on the Pitt coaching staff and while he didn’t coach Gonzalves he has inside information about him and perhaps what other teams thought of him. 

No doubt the colts thought highly of him. I'm just wondering where he plays? You don't normally draft in the third round for depth. Braden is still under contract until 2026. Sure they can cut him in 25 and save I believe 16 mil, but I'm not sure the colts will go in that direction unless Braden really regressed from his knee surgery. Fries is a FA in 25, but Goncalves said he hasn't played G in some time.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

No doubt the colts thought highly of him. I'm just wondering where he plays? You don't normally draft in the third round for depth. Braden is still under contract until 2026. Sure they can cut him in 25 and save I believe 16 mil, but I'm not sure the colts will go in that direction unless Braden really regressed from his knee surgery. Fries is a FA in 25, but Goncalves said he hasn't played G in some time.

Goncalves (whose name I have spelled differently each time I’ve written it)  will be a backup for his first two years, then a possible starter in his Y3, likely at RG instead of Fries.  And I don’t worry about going from OT to OG, that’s much easier than going from OG outside to RT.  

I think the Colts are giving themselves good problems.   Better too much talent than not enough.   With 12 draft picks last year and 9 more this year, that’s 21 picks in 2 years.  That’s 3 drafts worth of picks in 2 years.   Decisions should get harder and I think that’s a good thing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh I am aware, I also understand they were forecasting a run on OT that they were correct about. I also understand that last year coming off his season prior to the injury he was expected to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. Too me I guess it all weighs in on what position do they want to push him towards, OT or OG? IMHO they need to have a clear plan with him, he isn't an incredible athlete that can be a top swing tackle, if you want that I think Freeland or Witt will be much better suited for that role. If you want him to be inline to take over for Fries next season I'm fine with the pick then. However if you want him to sit for 2 years to eventually take over for Smith then I feel like we could have allocated draft picks a little better.

TO BE CLEAR, I do not hate the pick. There are a lot worst things then to have then OL depth. There were other players on the board I feel would have made more of an instant impact. So to me it still all depends on what their plan is with him. 

• Thanks 1