Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Forgotten Superstar

Bryce Love had an incredible career at Stanford. At the beginning of his college career, he was a backup to CMC and also to Barry Sanders Jr. But, every time he was given an opportunity, he was electrifying. Early on, he was primarily used on misdirection plays and sweeps in order to take advantage of his incredible speed, and he produced with the few opportunities he was given. He eventually beat out Barry Sanders Jr. for the #1 spot his junior year and he proved that he could do it all--run between the tackles, play physical, make people miss, and catch out of the backfield.

Per Wikipedia:

2017 season

"Love had a break-out season in 2017 with 2,118 rushing yards. Love was second in the nation in rushing yards and in rushing yards per game. Love reached the 1,000-yard rushing mark in just the fifth game of the season. He had back-to-back games with over 250 rushing yards, making him only the second Pac-12 player to accomplish this (along with Reggie Bush). He ran for a school-record 301 yards in a game. Love ran for at least 100 yards in twelve of his thirteen games, leading all running backs in the nation.

Love won the Doak Walker Award as the nation's best running back. He won the Lombardi Award for 2017. He was a unanimous first team All American. The Pac-12 named Love its Offensive Player of the Year. Love also was named to the All-Pac-12 First Team. Like McCaffrey in 2015, Love was the runner-up for the 2017 Heisman Trophy." Had he entered the draft his junior year, he would have been a 1st round pick.

Tragedy Struck:

In his last college game as a senior, he tore his ACL. This led him to fall in the draft where he was eventually drafted by the WFT in the 4th round. He was placed on non-football injury list initially and then was finally activated for a few games in 2020, but he never played. He was placed on the injured reserve and was then released. He has never played in the NFL and I wonder if he still has the ability to play at a high level. This may be one of those unfortunate instances where we may never find out, but he is still only 24 years old and technically he's a free agent. He has a Stanford degree in Human Biology and I think he is on his way to becoming a doctor. Not too shabby.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 11:06 AM, Flash7 said:

Bryce Love had an incredible career at Stanford. At the beginning of his college career, he was a backup to CMC and also to Barry Sanders Jr. But, every time he was given an opportunity, he was electrifying. Early on, he was primarily used on misdirection plays and sweeps in order to take advantage of his incredible speed, and he produced with the few opportunities he was given. He eventually beat out Barry Sanders Jr. for the #1 spot his junior year and he proved that he could do it all--run between the tackles, play physical, make people miss, and catch out of the backfield.

Per Wikipedia:

2017 season

"Love had a break-out season in 2017 with 2,118 rushing yards. Love was second in the nation in rushing yards and in rushing yards per game. Love reached the 1,000-yard rushing mark in just the fifth game of the season. He had back-to-back games with over 250 rushing yards, making him only the second Pac-12 player to accomplish this (along with Reggie Bush). He ran for a school-record 301 yards in a game. Love ran for at least 100 yards in twelve of his thirteen games, leading all running backs in the nation.

Love won the Doak Walker Award as the nation's best running back. He won the Lombardi Award for 2017. He was a unanimous first team All American. The Pac-12 named Love its Offensive Player of the Year. Love also was named to the All-Pac-12 First Team. Like McCaffrey in 2015, Love was the runner-up for the 2017 Heisman Trophy." Had he entered the draft his junior year, he would have been a 1st round pick.

Tragedy Struck:

In his last college game as a senior, he tore his ACL. This led him to fall in the draft where he was eventually drafted by the WFT in the 4th round. He was placed on non-football injury list initially and then was finally activated for a few games in 2020, but he never played. He was placed on the injured reserve and was then released. He has never played in the NFL and I wonder if he still has the ability to play at a high level. This may be one of those unfortunate instances where we may never find out, but he is still only 24 years old and technically he's a free agent. He has a Stanford degree in Human Biology and I think he is on his way to becoming a doctor. Not too shabby.

He was great! It is a shame what happened to him. I was hoping he would play in the NFL despite that injury. 

@2006Coltsbestever Remember how much we thought of him?

Archived