Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian On Espn - Nothing That Andrew Will Do Today Will Change My Opinion On Him

chad72

Polian was asked if anything Andrew would do at the Pro Day would help him or hurt him.

Polian and Steve Young both agreed on this "if you scout the way I do, and look at his whole body of work, there is nothing that he will do today that will escalate his value to me, and nothing that he will do today will diminish his value to me. The NFL is a different league, it is played at a different speed from pre-season to regular season, with different kinds of athletes than you have seen in your life in college and the speed is also different from regular season to the playoffs, so there will be an adjustment period for all QBs, no matter who they are."

Say what you want about ole Bill, I trust his words when it comes to evaluating skill positions, more times than not.

Bill Polian, is a very good NFL scout. That much is undisputable. I like hearing his opinions on these matters, and I like him as an analyst. He isn't particularly 'TV interesting', but for his purposes I like seeing him.

I agree that a Pro Day shouldn't have any bearing on a player's ability. A scripted walk-through of pass routes, without coverage, and in gym shorts, would not mean much to me either.

Bill Polian, is a very good NFL scout. That much is undisputable. I like hearing his opinions on these matters, and I like him as an analyst. He isn't particularly 'TV interesting', but for his purposes I like seeing him. I agree that a Pro Day shouldn't have any bearing on a player's ability. A scripted walk-through of pass routes, without coverage, and in gym shorts, would not mean much to me either.

I would say it has more value then them throwing at the combine. Them throwing at the combine is one of the most overrated things about the combine for a QB. At least with the Pro Day you get to see him throw with guys he is use to and not some WR he has never thrown with.

I do agree that a Pro Day should not make you as a scout go OMG we should draft him or OMG this guy stinks. It is one day of an entire college football career. You got to look at their entire career.

The only thing that I would add is that it can't hurt to see how well a player performs with all eyes pointed directly at him. Numbers aside, there is a difference between the casual fanbase checking you out during a home game and NFL professionals analyzing your every move. It's like working with your boss standing right behind you; you know something bad is about to happen!

I'm guessing at this point in Luck's career he is bothered by neither. Wish I could have seen it...