Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 Seahawks Defense vs 2019 Chiefs Offense

runthepost

No, that Seahawks' defense was helped out by a much better QB in RW, who is definitely better than Jimmy G, even then, IMO. They kept drives alive and they played more man coverage outside, and Mahomes has had a harder time vs man coverage this year compared to zone coverage, however well you played it. 

It would have been close but it would have been a game in the 20s with it coming down to the wire. The Patriots beat the Seahawks 28-24 with a good slot WR in Edelman, good TE in Gronk and good pass catching RBs, but the 2014 Seahawks were a slightly more depleted unit than the healthy 2013 Seahawks, if you go back and look at free agency losses on DL depth, and slot CB depth.

Pat would field better than an aged Manning did. I don't think Seattle's D had the amount of pass rushers that San Fran did which is what Mahomes struggled with. I think Mahomes would be able to pick apart the cover 3 much easier. While Sherman would be younger he was still no blazer so he would likely play Hill the Same way. The chiefs D also did a great job of stopping the run holding Moster to less than 60 yards. So i think they could have kept Lynch in check. I would probably put my money on KC during that game. 

I think the Seahawks would have won comfortably. Manning wasn't the problem in that game, his offensive line was. For example, if the RT held his block on the pick six, then Thomas would have a deep TD as he had his man beat. Didn't Manning break the completions record at the time in that game by dumping it off to Thomas all game? The Seahawks knew the Broncos OL couldn't hold up, and played accordingly.

The next year, the * only beat them because the Seahawks lost Avril and others during the game - and of course because they didn't run on the goal line.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 18to87 said:

The next year, the * only beat them because the Seahawks lost Avril and others during the game - and of course because they didn't run on the goal line.  

Happens with the Patriots a lot more than people notice.

Jeremy Lane, their slot CB replacement for Walter Thurmond from 2013, gets a pick off Brady early in the game but Edelman takes his knees out after the INT, and then they pick on Lane's replacement the rest of the game including Edelman's game winning TD. Avril is playing well and then gets a concussion due to their RB Brandon Bolden in quarter 4 when the Patriots make their comeback.

Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman run rough shod in the 2016 SB, and while Coleman is running, they twist Coleman's ankle sending him out of the game end of quarter 3 or beginning of quarter 4, don't remember. 

If there is an advantage they can get due to injury, they take it and run with it, IMO. Even in our game when we had Ahmad Bradshaw with Luck, they twisted his ankle to send him to IR, probably as payback for what he did against them with the Giants. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, coltsva said:

The Chiefs could only score 13 vs the Colts version of the cover 3, and without Leonard. How would they score on a similar D with the Seahawks personnel!

Because of Tyreek Hill, they will open things up. Remember, when we beat the Seahawks, how TY ran Browner and Sherman out of the stadium?? Then, go look at a game the Steelers played vs Seahawks at Seattle, where Antonio Brown gave them fits.

Those kind of speedy wide outs gave the Seahawks fits. The Broncos had big guys in Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker that was the perfect match up for their big Sherman and Maxwell guys and only Earl Thomas had the speed to keep up against wide outs with lots of speed. Kam Chancellor was good against TEs that did not have the shiftiness that Kelce had, so Julius Thomas was good but not as good as Kelce. In fact, Greg Olsen, who still had a few prime years left in 2014, the very next year, caught a game winning TD against Seattle in Seattle from Cam Newton. Then, look at the production Edelman and Gronk got in 2014 in the SB. Small shifty wide outs that can separate and elite TEs cause issues for the Cover 3. When Broncos got rid of Eric Decker and got the shifty Emmanuel Sanders across DT, they went farther, didn't they? You need all kinds of wide outs, just goes to show you.

So, if you look at it objectively, the difference would have been Russell Wilson over Jimmy G. The other guy who gave them fits as a QB was a mobile QB named Colin Kaepernick, who passed well enough and ran better than Mahomes but if you think Mahomes would roll over, guess again, based on all the above facts that happened with that Seahawks Legion of Boom I stated. It would have been a game like the 2014 SB, not like the 2013 SB.