Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberfluss (sp?) May actually be building the monster

GusFring

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The defensive playbook was installed in OTA’s and training camp. The scheme is the scheme, the plays weren’t just created.

I feel they didn’t have much info on how our guys would perform with the various parts of the system. I’m not sure how much of the playbook they knew early, either.

I also feel they did not have a good gauge of the competition and their strengths along with how to best use the players to defend them.

As each week progressed by, I feel more info on both were clear.  And the players were more in tune with the concepts. Thus better game plans, play calls, and player execution. Good growth all around. Eberflus is a brilliant, young defensive mind. We are fortunate to get him and Reich.  Possibly Frank will eventually turn over play calls to Sirianni at some point in the next year or two?

That will not happen.  And I am not sure why it would.  

The next time Sirianni is calling plays will be when he is a Head Coach in the league.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

That will not happen.  And I am not sure why it would.  

The next time Sirianni is calling plays will be when he is a Head Coach in the league.

3 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Why would he turn over the play calling? 

Frank and Nick have been working together since San Diego.  Seems like a Yin and Yang situation. Now that the young Sirianni is the Colts OC, it will likely not be long before he desires his own 'real' OC gig, with full play calling duties, like Eberflus in Dallas to become a DC. If that is the case, how long before Nick wants to leave (how many years left on his contract?), and will Reich just let him go?  If he does, who is in line to take OC job without play calling duties with the Colts?

That is why asked if "possibly" he 'might' consider relinquishing  the play calling at some point down the road.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Frank and Nick have been working together since San Diego.  Seems like a Yin and Yang situation. Now that the young Sirianni is the Colts OC, it will likely not be long before he desires his own 'real' OC gig, with full play calling duties, like Eberflus in Dallas to become a DC. If that is the case, how long before Nick wants to leave (how many years left on his contract?), and will Reich just let him go?  If he does, who is in line to take OC job without play calling duties with the Colts?

That is why asked if "possibly" he 'might' consider relinquishing  the play calling at some point down the road.

I think your scenario is highly unlikely.

1) If Reich continues to have the success he's had as play caller, what reason would he have to turn that over to someone else?

2) Reich strikes me as the type who would not stand in the way of letting his coaches go if they get requested for interviews and consequent job offers.  I would not be surprised to 

3) The career path for Sirianni is to become a HC candidate.  The likelihood that he would leave for an OC job with play calling responsibilities is slim and none.  The options would be: a HC, stay with Indy in current capacity, or look for a job if / when the staff gets canned at some point.

• Like 1

I'll be honest here. The first 1/2 of the season i was trashing the zone scheme we were using. especially since the majority of CB's we had were used to man.  Now that the CB's have had time to get oriented with the scheme, and Eberflus has gotten a good read on his players strength's and weakness', He has thrown a few more blitzes in each game to keep pressure on QB's so the zone scheme is now more effective.  This defense is good, but it could be better with a high caliber athletic speedy CB and an elite pass rusher.  We get those 2 extra's this offseason...I think we could legit be top 5 defense.  

You might be right, but Sirianni was previously a Quality Control, QB, and receivers coach.  What is in his in his resume that even hints at a potential HC position anytime soon? Maybe a path like Sean McVay had as OC with Redskins, as you hint at.

Yes, it seems HC play callers abound recently, but it is not easy.  Doug Pederson offered this advice to Frank Reich before he came here-

"The biggest challenge is just getting your own study time in because of all the other things you have to do," Pederson said at the NFL combine in February. "Leading the football team, meeting with doctors, meeting with [GM] Howie [Roseman], the personnel department. Meeting with the [team] president, meeting with the owner."

"Those are things that can take away your time during the week, and it's just finding time to get your own study and preparation in and being in a position to help your team. That's the one thing that if I ever get nervous about a game, it's, 'How well did I study during the week?' I think that's the biggest challenge for a head coach who calls plays, is being able to do that for his football team."

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You might be right, but Sirianni was previously a Quality Control, QB, and receivers coach.  What is in his in his resume that even hints at a potential HC position anytime soon? Maybe a path like Sean McVay had as OC with Redskins, as you hint at.

Yes, it seems HC play callers abound recently, but it is not easy.  Doug Pederson offered this advice to Frank Reich before he came here-

"The biggest challenge is just getting your own study time in because of all the other things you have to do," Pederson said at the NFL combine in February. "Leading the football team, meeting with doctors, meeting with [GM] Howie [Roseman], the personnel department. Meeting with the [team] president, meeting with the owner."

"Those are things that can take away your time during the week, and it's just finding time to get your own study and preparation in and being in a position to help your team. That's the one thing that if I ever get nervous about a game, it's, 'How well did I study during the week?' I think that's the biggest challenge for a head coach who calls plays, is being able to do that for his football team."

I believe teams are thinking outside the box more than ever before on the person they hire to be their next head coach.  Traditional paths to ascend to a Head Coach are still there but there is a greater willingness to take a chance on whoever they feel is the right guy, regardless of their resume.  I think the fact that Sirianni has been involved with an offensive revival in Indy will make teams consider him even with the idea that he did not call plays.

Just off the top

Sean McVay - had OC experience but was still way younger than most

Matt Ruhle - Colts interviewed him last year and while they did not hire him obviously, they took the time to think differently and look at an under the radar college coach

Jon Harbaugh - was never an OC or DC.

Matt Nagy - hired by the Bears even though the offense was largely controlled by Andy Reid.

Mike Vrabel - had, what, one year as a DC in Houston?