Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Description Of The Colt's First Round Pick

King Colt

Sorry, for the entire article I could not edit for some reason.

Associated Press

Quenton Nelson

Strengths: Raw power, run blocking, pass protection, attitude/tenaciousness.

Weaknesses: Er, his arms are a little short, maybe?

Guard has arguably the least valuable position on the field since the NFL became a pass-oriented league in 1978. But that may be changing, as Quenton Nelson himself noted at the combine.

"You have guys that are dominating the NFL right now in Aaron Donald, Geno Atkins, Fletcher Cox, that have just been working on interior guys, and you need guys to stop them," Nelson said. "You talk to quarterbacks, and they say if a D-end gets on the edge, that's fine, they can step up in the pocket and they can throw. That's what I give: a pocket to step up in. And I think I also help the offense establish the run through my nastiness, and establishing the run also opens up the passing game."

The closest comparison to Nelson is not Zach Martin or Larry Allen, or even legendary Patriots guard John "Hog" Hannah. It's Juggernaut, the Marvel Comics character who is as strong as the Hulk but less random. Like Juggernaut, nothing stops Nelson, so he can obliterate anything in his path when run-blocking. And yes, Andrew Luck will be able to step up in the pocket, knowing there's a nigh-invulnerable force of nature protecting him. (We're assuming Luck will someday throw a real football again, because assuming anything else leads almost immediately to gibbering madness.)

Juggernaut's only real weaknesses is telepathy; Professor X is his stepbrother, you see, and—(50,000 words of comic-book continuity deleted. You can thank us later. –Eds). Nelson's only real weakness is a perception that his position lacks value. But he's an instant upgrade for the Colts line, making this a great pick.

Grade: A   

Edited by King Colt
could not edit

14 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Sorry, for the entire article I could not edit for some reason.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772466-nfl-draft-2018-round-1-grades-for-every-pick

6. Indianapolis Colts (via New York Jets): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

6 OF 32

Carlos Osorio/Associated Press

Strengths: Raw power, run blocking, pass protection, attitude/tenaciousness.

Weaknesses: Er, his arms are a little short, maybe?

Guard has arguably the least valuable position on the field since the NFL became a pass-oriented league in 1978. But that may be changing, as Quenton Nelson himself noted at the combine.

"You have guys that are dominating the NFL right now in Aaron Donald, Geno Atkins, Fletcher Cox, that have just been working on interior guys, and you need guys to stop them," Nelson said. "You talk to quarterbacks, and they say if a D-end gets on the edge, that's fine, they can step up in the pocket and they can throw. That's what I give: a pocket to step up in. And I think I also help the offense establish the run through my nastiness, and establishing the run also opens up the passing game."

The closest comparison to Nelson is not Zach Martin or Larry Allen, or even legendary Patriots guard John "Hog" Hannah. It's Juggernaut, the Marvel Comics character who is as strong as the Hulk but less random. Like Juggernaut, nothing stops Nelson, so he can obliterate anything in his path when run-blocking. And yes, Andrew Luck will be able to step up in the pocket, knowing there's a nigh-invulnerable force of nature protecting him. (We're assuming Luck will someday throw a real football again, because assuming anything else leads almost immediately to gibbering madness.)

Juggernaut's only real weaknesses is telepathy; Professor X is his stepbrother, you see, and—(50,000 words of comic-book continuity deleted. You can thank us later. –Eds). Nelson's only real weakness is a perception that his position lacks value. But he's an instant upgrade for the Colts line, making this a great pick.

Grade: A   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That pic of him with his arms folded with the sleeveless pic they showed when we picked him I was like dam, dude is a monster. 

All forearms and chest, the type of dude that looks like a bouncer or bodyguard. 

We can't tell the future obviously, but he definitely looks the Hulk.

• Like 1

Nelson is correct.  I know this because he is repeating what I've been saying. 

The modern NFL is evolving to where offenses get rid of the ball quicker to offset the speed edge rusher.  It now simply takes too long for the edge guys to bend around the Ts to reach the QB.  So smart teams have been pressing the interior because that is the shortest distance.

He basically said that selecting Chubb at pick 6 would have been a poor choice.  I agree.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nelson is correct.  I know this because he is repeating what I've been saying. 

The modern NFL is evolving to where offenses get rid of the ball quicker to offset the speed edge rusher.  It now simply takes too long for the edge guys to bend around the Ts to reach the QB.  So smart teams have been pressing the interior because that is the shortest distance.

He basically said that selecting Chubb at pick 6 would have been a poor choice.  I agree.

I'm confused, last night, you were blasting Ballard for selecting Nelson, what's changed?

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm confused, last night, you were blasting Ballard for selecting Nelson, what's changed?

The sauce wore off..haha

I'm just teasing. I think it's just not a fun sexy pick that you can talk about like Barkley.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I blasted CB for not taking the trade over making the pick....any pick frankly.  Today I'll be blasting him for not using a little more of our huge cap space to sign Norwell, which would have better allowed the Buffalo trade to happen and giving Luck more help sooner.

Nelson is correct about the NFL focusing on interior rushers and the need for G play to keep up, which I agree with. 

He didn't say that Norwell, Jensen, Ragnow, Wynn, Hernandez, Price, Connor Williams, Braden Smith, Jamarco Jones, Martinas Rankin would not be good ways to upgrade G without using pick 6; which I would have disagreed with if he did.