Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spotrac FA Market Values

I was looking through market values for a few players and I came across Moncrief and Mewhort. Now I'm more of a draft guy, but they were projecting 10 mil a year for Moncrief and 11 million a year for Mewhort?! Am I missing something here, I'm not one to research that stuff all that much, but that looks way out of line compared to Norwell (12 million a year), etc. Am I missing something or reading it wrong?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/market-value/2018/

Spotrac looks at players in same position, playing time, opportunity, age, production, accolades etc in their market value projections.

They are obviously discounting Mewhorts last season when he was injured and the fact that he has pretty bad knee issues. And look at mainly his good season in '15 and '16. Those seasons compare pretty well for guards who have recently gotten around 10M per year. But Mewhort is obviously not getting anywhere near that.

What increases Moncriefs market value is his young age (24) and his great TD production. He's also not getting anywhere near the type of contract that Spotrac projects. As with Mewhort, they are not putting heavy emphasis on bad contract year. John Brown and Willie Snead also are at around 10M per year, despite having bad seasons last year and in case of Brown, last 2 seasons and also health concerns.