Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Gordon

PuntersArePeopleToo

Another chance-

"Effective immediately, Gordon may join the Browns to attend meetings, engage in conditioning work and individual workouts," the league stated in a release. "Subject to compliance with clinical and other requirements, he will be placed on the Commissioner's Exempt list and be permitted to practice with the team beginning on Monday, November 20. Beginning Monday, November 27, Gordon will be eligible at the team's discretion to return to active status or to remain on the Commissioner's Exempt list for an additional week before returning to active status."

Somebody feels bad for the Browns... throw them a bone...  and not from the Dawg Pound...

To me, this separates the men from the boys.  Those players that use MJ for pain control without opioids, the leagues rules has set up a protocol that essentially allows them to do so during the regular season... providing you have never failed a drug test.  Once the first game starts, the ‘clean’ players will not be tested for substances of abuse (just PED’s) until the conclusion of their season. Thus they can use it and not worry about ‘getting caught’ from a urine sample.  Until the end of their last game.

It is the off season where players can get tested for all banned substances, recreational and performance enhancing.  Once a player fails (even at the combine), then player is subject to testing for all substances at any time during the year.

If it is for piano control only during the season, it is easy for a player to do.  If they also want to chill outside of the games in the off season, they place themselves at risk to enter the drug program and thus MJ and other substances are off the table, even in mid season.

So as it is set up, this tells those that use it for pain control each week in a collision sport, from those that also want to use it even when not playing  for a long stretch.  But I see the league relaxing that standard somehow in the near future as well.  In the meantime, Gordon (and any other in his situation) is in peril of losing his playing privileges for any misstep.  I wish him well returning to his career.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

To me, this separates the men from the boys.  Those players that use MJ for pain control without opioids, the leagues rules has set up a protocol that essentially allows them to do so during the regular season... providing you have never failed a drug test.  Once the first game starts, the ‘clean’ players will not be tested for substances of abuse (just PED’s) until the conclusion of their season. Thus they can use it and not worry about ‘getting caught’ from a urine sample.  Until the end of their last game.

It is the off season where players can get tested for all banned substances, recreational and performance enhancing.  Once a player fails (even at the combine), then player is subject to testing for all substances at any time during the year.

If it is for piano control only during the season, it is easy for a player to do.  If they also want to chill outside of the games in the off season, they place themselves at risk to enter the drug program and thus MJ and other substances are off the table, even in mid season.

So as it is set up, this tells those that use it for pain control each week in a collision sport, from those that also want to use it even when not playing  for a long stretch.  But I see the league relaxing that standard somehow in the near future as well.  In the meantime, Gordon (and any other in his situation) is in peril of losing his playing privileges for any misstep.  I wish him well returning to his career.

I think the league will definitely have to revisit this.  By the time negotiations open with the NFLPA on the next collective bargaining agreement this will be a key subject.  You have pain during the season no doubt but for some that is not just where it stops.  Many players are rehabbing all off-season so why not let them control pain with MJ and not the opiod's they probably do not want to take.  

I do understand keeping an eye on players who have already failed tests, but I would hate for players like La'Veon Bell or even Josh Gordon to not be able to take advantage of MJ for pain control because the NFL sees otherwise.  The NFL needs to just quit any focus on MJ usage and move on.  They sit back while players and even coaches (yes Sean Payton no one forgot) use pills and get addicted, but now that states are becoming more widely accepting and legalizing for any use or at least medicinal purposes they still want to keep it an issue.  Look at other sports and how they worry about PED's and not the likes of MJ.

45 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I think the league will definitely have to revisit this.  By the time negotiations open with the NFLPA on the next collective bargaining agreement this will be a key subject.  You have pain during the season no doubt but for some that is not just where it stops.  Many players are rehabbing all off-season so why not let them control pain with MJ and not the opiod's they probably do not want to take.  

I do understand keeping an eye on players who have already failed tests, but I would hate for players like La'Veon Bell or even Josh Gordon to not be able to take advantage of MJ for pain control because the NFL sees otherwise.  The NFL needs to just quit any focus on MJ usage and move on.  They sit back while players and even coaches (yes Sean Payton no one forgot) use pills and get addicted, but now that states are becoming more widely accepting and legalizing for any use or at least medicinal purposes they still want to keep it an issue.  Look at other sports and how they worry about PED's and not the likes of MJ.

They have relaxed standards/punishment once and I can see it happening again.  How far it goes?  Who knows.  And what other substances of abuse (non PED ) will they allow? (Well not scrutinize for anyway)  And to what degree??  If they essentially stop checking for MJ and a player later gets suspended under the Substance abuse policy (not PEDS) we know that player was caught using something else then...  no more speculating a player was suspended for weed when it was actually something else.  Information nobody is privy to at this time.  Interesting scenarios that previously were non starters become more apparent then.

For those curious as to what is included in the Drug Panel (substances of abuse, not performance enhancing banned substances), they are as follow-

(offseason)

Players shall be tested only for the following substances, which collectively shall be termed the “NFL Drug Panel”:

Benzoylecognine (cocaine) ≥ 150 ng/mL
Delta 9-THC-carboxylic acid (marijuana)≥ 35ng/mL
Synthetic Cannabinoids> 2.5 ng/mL
Amphetamine and its analogues≥300 ng/mL
Opiates (total morphine and codeine)≥300 ng/mL
Opioids (e.g., hydrocodone, oxycodone)≥300 ng/mL
Phencyclidine (PCP) ≥ 25 ng/mL
Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (“MDMA”) and its analogues(Molly)  ≥ 200 ng/mL
Alcohol ≥.06 g/dl (%)

Alcohol is prohibited only if a Player’s Treatment Plan explicitly prohibits alcohol,
but  all  Players  in  Intervention  Stages  are  tested  for  alcohol  for  clinical  monitoring
purposes. Discipline for alcohol use is imposed only if a Player’s Treatment Plan prohibits alcohol.

It is interesting to note that the NFL 'Included" a specification for synthetic cannabinoids their testing in 2016...