Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bruce Arians

azcolt

46 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I don't gamble or play fantasy football, but if SW1 ever decided to change my mind, I'm consulting with you 2 first so I can come across looking  like a NFL wizard.

Seriously, you 2 have a sixth sense about sports victories/championships IMO. 

I have bad luck this year with teams I am picking suffering a major injury. I picked Green Bay to win it all and they looked pretty darn good until Rodgers broke his entire upper body.

And I picked the Celtics to win the East or I was considering it until Gordon Hayward's leg and angle snapped in half on live television.

I also picked the Texans to win the South. And JJ Watt got hurt badly.

I am now changing my Super Bowl pick to the New England Patriots.:thmup: Good Luck fellas.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I also can never figure out why we don't have Andrew just throw short quick passes, like slants and Screens a lot like Tommy does. Remember the Denver game when Chud first took over we did that and beat Denver and after Andrew got injured, Chud did it with Hass. When Andrew came back it was back to the same ol long passes and Gore up the middle a bunch.

That is a very good question CBE. I wish we'd utilize Chester Rogers more in this capacity too. Big body; nice hands.

I like TE Jack Doyle & I feel bad for the guy dropping balls lately. Very uncharacteristic of him. Gotta throw him passes earlier & get him in a rhythm. When he clicks early, the Colts usually have a good game. 

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah sometimes she out does me, she thinks she is pretty smart that Jules :sarcasm:

Well you had the Saints. I was hesitant on that. As for the rest of the NFC......what the hell?

I still have to hold onto some hope for the Chiefs. I had them picked last year to win the AFC. But for some reason they have major issues with the Steelers usually. 

I still sadly think Pittsburgh has a strong chance of winning the AFC still maybe if they avoid the Pats later. I am not convinced anyone is a lock this year, since NOBODY seems that great as a whole.

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

Well you had the Saints. I was hesitant on that. As for the rest of the NFC......what the hell?

I still have to hold onto some hope for the Chiefs. I had them picked last year to win the AFC. But for some reason they have major issues with the Steelers usually. 

I still sadly think Pittsburgh has a strong chance of winning the AFC still maybe if they avoid the Pats later. I am not convinced anyone is a lock this year, since NOBODY seems that great as a whole.

Chiefs have all the tools to win the SB, Solid D, Solid Coach, Solid O.Line, Hunt is really Good. Alex Smith is the key, yes Alex is Good but isn't Great and is known as a Playoff choker so I don't know.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chiefs have all the tools to win the SB, Solid D, Solid Coach, Solid O.Line, Hunt is really Good. Alex Smith is the key, yes Alex is Good but isn't Great and is known as a Playoff choker so I don't know.

I just wonder if they can beat the Pats a second time in a season, it's tough to do that. Not many do it, we did it in 2006 but it was rare. I think Denver did it with Manning? I don't remember.

I don't always think Alex Smith is a playoff choker, I think he is just limited at times and it is what it is with him. He isn't great but he does the best that he can.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had Pats Repeating but I hope I am wrong.

If they lose Gronk they won't repeat probably. I am still not 100% sold on them just because they beat the flukey "can't manage a game" Falcons. Falcons have lost to all the AFC teams they have played this year anyway so far I think.

It's just so tough to repeat. So tough. I am not even convinced yet the Warriors will repeat either. Cubs didn't as well.

1 minute ago, Jules said:

I just wonder if they can beat the Pats a second time in a season, it's tough to do that. Not many do it, we did it in 2006 but it was rare. I think Denver did it with Manning? I don't remember.

I don't always think Alex Smith is a playoff choker, I think he is just limited at times and it is what it is with him. He isn't great but he does the best that he can.

I would love to see Chiefs in it, it would be different.

1 minute ago, Jules said:

If they lose Gronk they won't repeat probably. I am still not 100% sold on them just because they beat the flukey "can't manage a game" Falcons. Falcons have lost to all the AFC teams they have played this year anyway so far I think.

It's just so tough to repeat. So tough. I am not even convinced yet the Warriors will repeat either. Cubs didn't as well.

Yeah Cubs just ran into a machine known as the Dodgers, not sure anyone can derail Tommy.

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

I have bad luck this year with teams I am picking suffering a major injury. I picked Green Bay to win it all and they looked pretty darn good until Rodgers broke his entire upper body.

And I picked the Celtics to win the East or I was considering it until Gordon Hayward's leg and angle snapped in half on live television.

I also picked the Texans to win the South. And JJ Watt got hurt badly.

I am now changing my Super Bowl pick to the New England Patriots.:thmup: Good Luck fellas.

Hey there Jules, 

You're not a bad omen on the injury player front my friend. Trust me. That Discount Double Check injury was so strange to me because I've seen Aaron roll over & jump back up to his feet that I never even considered he was seriously hurt. Maybe he shouldn't have broken up with his girlfriend. Just kidding! 

You didn't curse the Packers, Texans, or Celtics. You just have a really good feel for which teams peak at the right time of the yr & I respect that. Cool cat Halloween profile picture too! :thmup:

I'm interested to see what your SB pick looks like in December. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Cubs just ran into a machine known as the Dodgers, not sure anyone can derail Tommy.

I don't think a 40 year old QB has ever started the Super Bowl. Lets hope the trend continues.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I had Pats Repeating but I hope I am wrong.

If Foxboro does repeat as SB Champions yet again, part of me wonders if BB will release Brady & go with Jimmy G to prove he can win a SB without Tommy at the helm. 

Massachusetts fans will grow insane with furry & rage then. :popcorn:

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Hey there Jules, 

You're not a bad omen on the injury player front my friend. Trust me. That Discount Double Check injury was so strange to me because I've seen Aaron roll over & jump back up to his feet that I never even considered he was seriously hurt. Maybe he shouldn't have broken up with his girlfriend. Just kidding! 

You didn't curse the Packers, Texans, or Celtics. You just have a really good feel for which teams peak at the right time of the yr & I respect that. Cool cat Halloween profile picture too! :thmup:

I'm interested to see what your SB pick looks like in December. 

What happened to Aaron Rodgers I could actually handle okay. 

What happened to Gordon Hayward made me nearly burst into tears. Just omg.......

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

What happened to Aaron Rodgers I could actually handle okay. 

What happened to Gordon Hayward made me nearly burst into tears. Just omg.......

Uh huh. I wouldn't wish that fate on anybody. You can't help but feel empathy for the guy. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Uh huh. I wouldn't wish that fate on anybody. You can't help but feel empathy for the guy. 

This about sums up that injury:

snapshot20171017192856.jpg

Okay I will stop guys, gone way OT and heading out soon anyway. lmao 

Bruce Arians.

hqdefault.jpg

38 minutes ago, Jules said:

Okay I will stop guys, gone way OT and heading out soon anyway. lmao 

Bruce Arians.

hqdefault.jpg

That Bruce Arian's expression is so hilarious to me because if you gave him a balloon caption & told fans to fill it in, I'd roll with these replies myself 1. What the hades Adrian Peterson, we brought here to bleed the clock & move the chains? 33 to nothing in a Rams annihilation makes me look like an amateur dude. 2. All I need now is Larry Fitzgerald to go down. Wait, what? Son of a...3. Palmer done for the yr. How many yrs do I have on my coaching contract again? 

59 minutes ago, Jules said:

The worst part of an injury like this outside of Gordon himself is that his Celtics teammates can't really compete because they are so disturbed over what happened to their colleague that they can't focus on the game anymore. 

Look, I get that athletes compartmentalize a lot, but seeing that injury right before your eyes on the floor bleeps you up mentally because you think that could have been me man. Yikes! 

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I guess they remember Luck setting Rookie records, 4th Q comebacks, incredible 3rd down conversions, and an 11-5 record...  not the interceptions, low completion % etc...

In any event, no pure old school scheme is truly effective anymore.  All branches off their respective coaching trees have varied the offenses according to the evolution of the game and their own ideas to 'tweak' the systems.  I my self am in favor of adopting the Erhardt-Perkins 'system', notably the "Concepts" version McDaniels-Belichick use in New England.

The Coryell elegance of 3 digit route tree systems really is no longer valid in these days of 11 personnel formations, for instance, and the multiple formations and groupings have made West Cost systems play naming/calling unwieldy.  These schemes are crumbling under their own weight.  In the E-P system, they use concepts.  PM and Moore used concepts in their system with the Colts.  I want to go back to something like that, as it is effective and adaptable.

My concern is, getting an E-P guy as HC, he has to find another 'good' E-P guy to run the offense.  I am not in favor of HC's also calling the plays. He has too much to do outside of that duty.  I am in favor of the HC redirecting the ship as needed during the game (IE: tells OC he needs to run more from their pass formation when the defense begins to sit back and double on the WR's etc..). 

I want easy to call plays, concepts based so that no huddle can be employed well, and creates and keeps mismatches vs the defense groupings (or catches them with 12 men on the filed as players try to sub out and run off).  Im not in favor of the long game, or the short dink stuff.  I'm in favor of the mix that attacks the opponents weak spots as the game situations and personnel groupings change.  Whatever the D is giving up... run or pass- short or long.

Luck is ready, lets get the rest of the team aboard on it too.

The EP is definitely the way to go, IMO. You mentioned the naming convention, and as much as anything else, that's a big reason why it's difficult to go no-huddle without giving almost all the control to the QB. Not that Luck couldn't handle it.

But as offenses have gotten more complicated, Coryell play calls have gone from a simple three digit number, to a long, drawn out phrase that describes every function of the play -- formation, protection, each route, the cadence, and the snap count. The same issue exists with West Coast play calls. I'm not sure, but I think the Colts still have Chud call the play into Schottenheimer, who gives it to the QB, who calls it in the huddle. That's 15 seconds right there. Then each play has variations that are called at the line of scrimmage, checks, protection adjustments, alerts, etc. Difficult to go uptempo or no-huddle with that amount of verbiage being thrown around every play.

The simplicity of the EP is that you just call a concept on each side. Doesn't matter the formation, the personnel, whatever. It's usually a two-word play call, which names the concepts. It's way easier to call that in, and easier to make adjustments at the line.

I also agree that I don't prefer a coach who calls the plays, almost without exception. I think Josh McDaniels and Eric Studesville would be a good coach/OC combo. 

I re-watched the Packers/Steelers 2010 Super Bowl over again this past offseason. Now the Packers IMO deserved to win it all that year and it was clearly the postseason of Aaron Rodgers.

BUT, the playcalling for Pittsburgh........just omg........I can't even explain it. Just typical Arians playcalling that you know when you see it. Your QB gets mauled, your QB throws picks on long passes and your run game goes out the window at times even when it's working. 

I think a lot of us including me sometimes prefer Arians due to having such a soft spot in nostalgia for the 2012 magical season which was indeed meaningful and fun for us all. I still maintain though that a lot of it can be attributed to Reggie Wayne.

But I don't think Arians is the right answer. Even Carson Palmer got killed too many times and you seen the playcalling for the Cardinals in big games falter with multiple interceptions. And his QBs usually do get hurt.

I will always appreciate and like Bruce Arians for what he did here, but I am not sure he is "the answer" either, not to mention if he would ever even be available.

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

That Bruce Arian's expression is so hilarious to me because if you gave him a balloon caption & told fans to fill it in, I'd roll with these replies myself 1. What the hades Adrian Peterson, we brought here to bleed the clock & move the chains? 33 to nothing in a Rams annihilation makes me look like an amateur dude. 2. All I need now is Larry Fitzgerald to go down. Wait, what? Son of a...3. Palmer done for the yr. How many yrs do I have on my coaching contract again? 

dramatic-arians.jpg