Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Seven-Round Mock 7.0

Round 1. DE - Shaq Lawson -  Built like a tank with thickly muscled legs and a broad chest. Clemson played him at 5-­technique and standing up on the outside. Scheme versatile and will likely appeal to be 3­-4 and 4-­3 teams. Very powerful at the point of attack. Able to punch, extend arms and control the line of scrimmage or set a hard edge. Able to shock and shed blockers and has the hand quickness to staggered block attempts.

Round 2. DT - Chris Jones -  Plays with tremendous natural power. Has strength in his hands and upper body to shed blockers without much effort when its time. Made to stymie downhill rushing attacks. Can battle through wash-down blocks and work his way back into a tackle. High school hooper with sneaky lateral foot quickness. Uses quick feet and shoulder turn to leverage him into gaps for disruption. 

Round 3. C - Jack Allen - Has a compact build with above average core strength. Was a standout wrestler in high school and uses that background to generate quick torques and turns on defenders. Understands his strengths and physical limitations. Possesses great strength in his hands and can snatch and ride defenders until the whistle sounds.

Round 4. S - Darian Thompson - Tall, angular build for the position. Soft hands and can make difficult, diving interceptions. Willing to take a chance to undercut throws and will run through receivers catch point to disrupt. Ready hitter with desired physical demeanor to play around line of scrimmage. Willing to sacrifice his body against pulling linemen in order to cave in the edge.

Round 5. DE - James Cowser - Has a high-end motor that never stops. FCS Defensive Player of the Year. Active pass rusher with quick hands and well­timed hand swipes at the top of his rush. Rushes from both ends and has a tight, basketball spin move from either direction that puts him in position to win. Quick second and third steps for darting inside moves. Sheds with proper timing to make the tackle. Studious in classroom and film room.

Round 7. G - Darrell Greene - Thick ball of power. Has broad shoulders and and a lower body made for mashing. Able to generate early movement with initial punch and completes job with leg drive. Tape shows several plays where defenders are torqued to the ground by Greenes tremendous power. Plays with a mean streak. Completely erases defenders with wash blocks and down blocks. Effective combo blocker with decent timing up to the linebacker. Has enough athleticism to be used as pulling guard. Works to mirror and stay engaged to pass rushers.

1 hour ago, ColtsBleedBlue said:

Round 1. DE - Shaq Lawson

Round 2. DT - Chris Jones

Round 3. C - Jack Allen

Round 4. S - Darian Thompson

Round 5. DE - James Cowser

Round 7. G - Darrell Greene

I am going to give my honest assessment. In no way am I the expert here; just my opinion.

1. I Love the Shaq Lawson pick. I believe when it is all said and done that he will be the best player in this draft. I see Bruce Smith in him. Just talented. 

2. Chris Jones is good value at #48. If we are lucky enough to get Lawson at #18 then I am hoping either Joshua Garnett or Nick Martin is still on the board at #48. I am already conceding that Ryan Kelly and Cody Whitehair will both be long gone. 

3. I am not a huge fan of Jack Allen. He only has average athleticism, and in our new scheme, I want us to draft an extremely athletic center. While it is true that Allen plays in a zone scheme; his lack of athletic ability is going to get him beat by quicker players in the NFL. I could be very wrong about him, because he has the leadership and heart that it takes to excel in the NFL, but I think he is a bad draft choice for us.

4. I would not draft Darian Thompson. He has no awareness of what is happening on the field and he is responsible for 10 touchdowns over the past few years. Has no man coverage skills and he misses tackles. He is a box safety and we cannot trust him in coverage. Therefore he does not fit our style of defense. 

5. Love the James Cowser pick. 43 career sacks and 80 tackles for loss. Those are FCS records. Based on production alone, this cat would be a Bill Polian GEM. I am sure Cowser is going earlier than we all think. He might be that player who gets drafted in the second round and everyone on TV has interesting looks on their faces, and explains how they knew it all along and how this is such a great pick. I believe Cowser is much higher on teams boards than the media has him. It only takes one team to fall in love with a player, and I would bet on the likelihood of several teams wanting to propose come day 2. 

7. I do not believe Darrell Green will be drafted by the Colts. There are two really good reasons. One, I don't believe he fits our new scheme. His short arms make him a liability at guard so he will likely be a center. Not having the position flexibility will hurt his chances to make a team, especially this team. Most importantly, this cat was popped for marijuana and suspended for six games. Basically, you would be drafting 2 centers. It is not unheard of. Polian once drafted 3 centers.  

I think your draft improves our defense (Lawson, Jones, and Cowser), but does nothing to help the offensive line. And I think that is a waste of a good fourth round pick.

Just my opinion.

I like the draft, it's ok.  Not sure I am as big a fan of Lawson as many on here, I think he's basically Courtney Upshaw.....  but the rest I can live with.  We aren't in desperate need of an edge setter on D though, which Lawson will be.....albeit a very good edge setter..... I'd rather take a flyer on a pass rusher in the first