Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Barry sanders vs calvin johnson

CR91

Sanders is the bigger loss.      Also,  I think Sanders' retirement caught everyone off guard.    Came out of left field.

CJ gave everyone a heads up....   people were talking about it for over a month.    So from that standpoint, fans were prepared for Johnson.     But no one was prepared for Sanders.    That was a bombshell.

45 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Whoa! Okay. And you're correct. A thread, that in all likelihood, we do not see on this forum. Gotta be honest with you, man. That startled me.

i was joking. I'm not a follower of satan 

23 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Just to put in perspective how great Barry Sanders was. His WORST season statistically (in terms of rushing yards) was in 1993 when he rushed for 1115 yards. Oh and that was cause he missed 5 games. The last time the colts had a guy rush for more than 1115 yards was Edge in 2005, and it took him 360 attempts (it took Barry just 243). Barry played just 10 seasons in the league yet he was just 3000 yards away from having the most yards all time. The leader, Emmitt Smith played in 15 seasons, and was on one of the greatest Cowboys teams ever (no disrespect to Emmitt, he was amazing too)

Whilst I love CJ (dude's been on my fantasy team for like 4 seasons now), I still think Barry leaving had a bigger impact. There will never be another player quite like Barry Sanders

I've often wondered (and I'm sure others have) what Barry's numbers would have looked like if he was on that Cowboys team. Absolutely mind blowing is what they would be lol. I swear he would change direction about 3 times when his feet weren't even on the ground

Have to go with Barry Sanders easily. He came into the NFL right when I first began watching football as a child, many of us believed back in those days that he could go down as the greatest running back in history. It's fun to go back and watch old high lights of him.

In today's league, it's rare coming across running backs like that. Everything is so pass heavy oriented, and I don't say this to take away from Calvin Johnson; he's terrific, but passing records are not as mind blowing anymore as rushing records are. When running backs break the 2,000 mark in today's league, it's more impressive since it rarely happens anymore. 

On 3/29/2016 at 6:37 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Art Monk, Steve Largent, Andre Reed, and I would honestly take Reggie over him as well. I only named 9 so maybe CJ comes in at 10. I may be forgetting a couple of WR's because it's been a while since I have done a greatest WR list. Now I do think CJ is a GREAT WR and will make the HOFame but he isn't first ballot IMO like Barry was.

Giving you mad props there for mentioning Art Monk, he was a total BEAST. Very, very great receiver that is sadly forgotten about outside Washington fans. I had so many cards of Monk when I was a kid, some of my favorite treasures. 

If there is one more I'd add to your list, it's John Stallworth. I recently rewatched the Rams/Steelers Super Bowl, and his big bomb catch should have got him the MVP of that game. 

I would  have to say Barry because hes arguably the best rb of all time,but they are both big losses by looking at the different eras,was a more ground and pound game when Barry was at his top and now the league is more of a passing league and they are now losing a top 10 target,so by eras it almost evens out.Also he was a butt hat but still surprised no mention of T.O which i might take over Andre reed on that list but thats a close 1a 1b situation,the man was productive.