Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just To Throw A Name Out There

Coffeedrinker

I really would not mind seeing the Colts talk to Mike Singletary about being a DC. He's the LB coach for Minnesota right now so it would be a move up for him. He could really help turn Angerer and Conner into superstars. And he would really learn from Caldwell and Irsay on how to run an organization.

Although I really wish the Vikes would fire Frazier so he could come back to Indy and be the DC. That would be a great fit.

I think your on to something there coffee the colts with PM back will need to find a way to slow down NE and those TE's

this is why i think we really need to trade that first round pick and get the D on track. I cannot see the colts D as it is holding teams like ne, saints, gb etc.

Fits what I think we need which is a guy with head coaching experience coaching the D if Caldwell stays. Caldwell isn't Dungy and doesn't have the defensive background so I think it would be a good idea to have a DC have head coaching experience and pretty much put the defense in their hands and let Caldwell stick to working with the offense since that's what he has a background of coaching.

I posed this possibility a few months ago, so I'm on board with it.

He's with the Vikes currently and if I'm not mistaken, they are a 4-3 D. Also, he played in a 4-3 uber aggressive D with the Bears, so I suspect he's of a 4-3 bias.

Seems to me that the man with eyes would be a good blend of experience and pedigree to get a shot at being a DC.

I posed this possibility a few months ago, so I'm on board with it.

He's with the Vikes currently and if I'm not mistaken, they are a 4-3 D. Also, he played in a 4-3 uber aggressive D with the Bears, so I suspect he's of a 4-3 bias.

Seems to me that the man with eyes would be a good blend of experience and pedigree to get a shot at being a DC.

Did the 49ers switch to the 3-4 when they hired Harbaugh? Because that's what they're running now. If he has knowledge about both that would be interesting. Maybe we could install a hybrid type defense like what Baltimore runs.

Near the end of this article, Singletary is painted as something of an absentee coach. It also mentions that he hasn't called plays in the NFL ever. Personally, this doesn't paint a very good picture of someone I want running anything.

isnt singletary deaf? it would make him a 'weird bird' in a group setting-- he would not get the input from anyone he was not lipreading.

i also thought he called the D signals when he was playing with the bears?

isnt singletary deaf? it would make him a 'weird bird' in a group setting-- he would not get the input from anyone he was not lipreading.

i also thought he called the D signals when he was playing with the bears?

He's hearing impaired, but I believe he uses hearing aids and gets by fine.

I'm sure he called signals, but he didn't call the plays that I know of. Buddy Ryan did for the first leg of Singletary's career. I know Vince Tobin took over after that until Singletary retired, though I'm not sure how much control Singletary had with Tobin. Nonetheless, calling the signals and making adjustments isn't quite calling plays. He never coordinated a defense in the NFL, where he's been since 2002. Beyond that, he's not coached in the NCAA. At the most, it'd seem he might have coordinated a defense with a high school team. I fully understand that everyone has to have a first time, and I advocate against using this excuse against potential coaches. Regardless, I just think that a guy who is apparently as brash and seemingly disliked as Singletary might have been better served having such coordinating experience, as teams now have to weigh a potentially great but unproven defensive mind vs. a reportedly off-putting coach who has perhaps too much of a temper and seemingly needed to be watched last season.

I think Singletary would have an easier argument to make had he been proven, what with all the character concerns. It feels weird typing that about a coach. Still, I think he's at least worth an interview.

I really would not mind seeing the Colts talk to Mike Singletary about being a DC. He's the LB coach for Minnesota right now so it would be a move up for him. He could really help turn Angerer and Conner into superstars. And he would really learn from Caldwell and Irsay on how to run an organization.

Although I really wish the Vikes would fire Frazier so he could come back to Indy and be the DC. That would be a great fit.

Speaking of throwing a name out there, I'd love to see Marty Schottenheimer get another shot as HC and why not with the Colts? He may not want to come back after the way he was treated the last time he came back, but he always fields a competitive team.

I think being under Caldwell and learning how to control his emotions would be very beneficial for Singletary and his future as a coach. Additionally I think Singletary could really develop into an excellent defensive coordinator. The guy understands football, what he doesn't understand is how to deal with players.

Speaking of throwing a name out there, I'd love to see Marty Schottenheimer get another shot as HC and why not with the Colts? He may not want to come back after the way he was treated the last time he came back, but he always fields a competitive team.
He fields competitive teams until it comes to the playoffs. There was a reason he was fired after going 14-2 in San Diego. The Chiefs should have gone to at least 2 SBs during his stint there with the talent they had, especially on defense