Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Review of MSU's OT Jack Conklin....

Here's a nice write-up I found over on NFL.com.       The comments are from unnamed NFC and AFC scouts.

As you probably know,  Michigan State faces up with Alabama.    Bama has THREE top flight d-lineman,  all of whom might go in the first round this April.   If not first round, then 2nd round,   so no matter who he lines up against,  he's facing real future NFL talent.    Very much worth watching if you're a Colts fans.      Here you go....

1) Michigan State OT Jack Conklin (vs. Alabama, Cotton Bowl -- Thursday, Dec. 31, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN): Any offensive lineman facing the Tide's front has had his hands full this year, and there's no question this game will be one on which the Spartans' three-year starting left tackle will be judged. Per Michigan State's figures, Conklin has allowed just four sacks in 38 career games (37 starts), but there are other questions about how he'll hold up here and at the next level. "He really struggled in the Oregon game," one AFC college scouting director said. "He needs to get stronger and I really didn't think he was a top athlete. He may be more of a right tackle or even a guard. He's not elite, but he's steady. He needs to improve his strength." Another AFC exec countered that Conklin "is gonna play in the league for a long time," noting that there aren't marked weaknesses in his game. Taking all that into account, if strength is the question, this national semifinal will give him the chance to provide an answer. The scouting director noted that Conklin was overwhelmed at times by Oregon's DeForest Buckner, and didn't have many one-on-one opportunities against Ohio State's Joey Bosa. In this one, he figures to see stout interior men A'Shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed plenty, as well as an array of edge rushers from an Alabama front that moves its pieces around plenty.

2 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Kind of funny, I watched the same tape and I thought he owned Buckner. 

A few people here said that but it was and is off.  He did solid is pass pro but was handled in the run game when they were 1 on 1.  A few TFLs where he was punched backwards. Hard. 

4 hours ago, wig said:

A few people here said that but it was and is off.  He did solid is pass pro but was handled in the run game when they were 1 on 1.  A few TFLs where he was punched backwards. Hard. 

I re-watched it today. All in all Conklin definitely won the battle in pass protection. Buckner was able to drive him back into the pocket now and again but he also got stonewalled a bunch, and never even came very close to registering a sack. In the run game it went back and forth, Conklin did let up too many tackles behind the line of scrimmage and sometimes needed help, although he did have his plays where he opened lanes.

If that's Conklin's most damning tape, I feel pretty good about him as a prospect. Buckner is a pretty good player as well. 

17 hours ago, Track Guy said:

I re-watched it today. All in all Conklin definitely won the battle in pass protection. Buckner was able to drive him back into the pocket now and again but he also got stonewalled a bunch, and never even came very close to registering a sack. In the run game it went back and forth, Conklin did let up too many tackles behind the line of scrimmage and sometimes needed help, although he did have his plays where he opened lanes.

If that's Conklin's most damning tape, I feel pretty good about him as a prospect. Buckner is a pretty good player as well. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Conklin.  But, a good day for an offensive lineman means a much higher success rate than a good day for a D lineman.