Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Disagree That Manning Could Not Co-Exist With Luck

mouthofsouth

I keep reading comments that Peyton would refuse to tutor Luck as his future replacement. I disagree on this, because of the way he loves to mentor and tutor young offensive players. Mentoring Luck would help pave the way for him to make a gradual transition into coaching.

And he has been coaching and mentoring ever since he was quarterback at Tennessee.

I live in Louisiana where the Manning Passing Academy is so well-known. Many of you may not know that the Passing Academy was the inspiration of Peyton himself, while he was still at Tennessee. It has been in operation now for about 15 years. It started out with high school quarterbacks from Louisiana, but over the years has expanded to other offensive positions too from all over the United States. All the Mannings take great pride in contributing to the success of young qbs and receivers, no matter where they play. It is in Peyton's blood to teach.

I think he would enjoy teaching Luck the things he knows. He knows he cannot play forever. Part of his legacy is to pass it on. BTW, Luck knows Peyton well, and has participated in tutoring at the Passing Academy.

One more thing. I have an idea that Peyton will always be a valued member of the Colts. I really do think that, even though he will eventually have to retire as a player, he will remain permanently attached to the Colts in some capacity. That is because he is such a class act and Irsay greatly respects and cherishes him. If Peyton is to be a Colt forever, then mentoring his successor would just be the natural thing to do.

I agree with You, but this time when things are stirred up, everything is uncertain. Thing depends on person of new GM, IMO Irsay and new GM will fire or hire Caldwell for next season. New GM's philosophy and person of new HC (possible the coaching staff) will also affect our strategy at the draft.

I'd like to see Manning and Luck at the Colts, but now is the time to think this over.

I do not doubt that as teammates they could co-exist. They are both adults and are professionals. They will both say all the right things and not make it a media circus.

With that said is them co-existing the best thing for the team.

How long are you going to have Luck sit the bench? What happens if Manning is healthy for another two to three years? Are you really going to sit Luck for three years? If you do sit him three years you will have to pick up that option on his last year without seeing him play any meaningful time. If you are Luck are you wanting to sit two to three years of your career? Sadly the best case for Luck is that Manning is just not healthy and he can step in right away.

Manning is almost maniacal about his preparation each week. Will he really want to spend precious time tutoring and working with Luck when he is preparing for the game on Sunday. How much time will the coaching staff really have to develop to the development of another QB when they are trying to win now with Manning? If you are Manning are you wanting to spend the last few years of your career mentoring instead of trying to win now? The best case for Manning is that we trade the pick for multiple first and second round picks and go all in with him.

All I know is this offseason and new few years will crazy.

He might not need one (Luck-mentor) but we can ALL benefit from one. I personally will love to see both Manning and Luck in a Colt's uniform working together for victory. If it turns out at the end of next year that Manning in fact does have several more good years in him, trading Luck can then be considered, IF he seems unwilling to continue sitting behind Manning. What a great time to be a Colts fan. Never thought I'd be this excited for the off-season.

Oh by the way, I am rooting for the Broncos for the super Bowl. I know that's a long shot, but what the heck.

He might not need one (Luck-mentor) but we can ALL benefit from one. I personally will love to see both Manning and Luck in a Colt's uniform working together for victory. If it turns out at the end of next year that Manning in fact does have several more good years in him, trading Luck can then be considered, IF he seems unwilling to continue sitting behind Manning. What a great time to be a Colts fan. Never thought I'd be this excited for the off-season.

Oh by the way, I am rooting for the Broncos for the super Bowl. I know that's a long shot, but what the heck.

Well, I fully admit that I am a Manning fan and not a Colts fan. So, I'm depressed about the whole situation.

FWIW Luck said a while ago that he had no problem playing behind a great QB, I don't really see any issues with Manning and Luck on the same team, I think they will both be on board with the idea, only thing is Luck will take practice snaps from Manning, and you will see Luck in the game during garbage time.

FWIW Luck said a while ago that he had no problem playing behind a great QB, I don't really see any issues with Manning and Luck on the same team, I think they will both be on board with the idea, only thing is Luck will take practice snaps from Manning, and you will see Luck in the game during garbage time.

I think if we draft Luck, he's gonna spend 2 years on bench, and gradually will became a starter.

He is good, but can be much more better tutored by Manning.

I have a fear, if Luck will be our starter we will struggle like this year and Luck's career will be devastated too.

They both know what the correct thing to say is. I don't believe either one of them really feels it to be honest.

I think if we draft Luck, he's gonna spend 2 years on bench, and gradually will became a starter.

He is good, but can be much more better tutored by Manning.

I have a fear, if Luck will be our starter we will struggle like this year and Luck's career will be devastated too.

Hey Big Ben won a SB as a rookie QB.

Don 't believe that is true. I think they lost the AFC championship to New England and then N.E. beat Philly in the Super Bowl.

Yeah, they went 15-1 that year, or something like that.

But to be on topic, Luck and Manning can co-exist. Now people's definition of "co-exist" is what the arguments are about. With the new CBA, Luck will not be an expensive clip-board holder like many think. But if you think "co-exist" means both will get minutes, then no, they will not, but that wouldn't make sense to give them both minutes.