Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Value in trading back?

The more I read about the array of players available in the 2015 draft, the more I am convinced we will be better served by trading back and accumulating draft picks in the 2016 draft. A cursory view at next year's draft reveals some intriguing talent at positions of need. Extra picks could allow for a trade to add an elite talent. Bleacher Report has a nice article on possible early entrants for 2016: 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2380266-projecting-the-top-20-college-football-superstars-who-will-leave-early-for-nfl/page/18 

Trading Back Mock Draft

Trade #1: Trade pick #29 to Buffalo for pick #50 in 2015 and 2nd round pick in 2016 (Buffalo moves up for Maxx Williams TE Minnesota, Buffalo has the D, needs a TE to pair w/McCoy, Watkins). 

Trade #2: Trade pick #93 to New Orleans for pick #109 and a 4th round pick in 2016. (I could see New Orleans moving up for a pass rusher like Nate Orchard or Trey Flowers that drops to the late 3rd) 

50.)  Jake Fisher OT Oregon

Grigson seems to place a premium on versatile offensive linemen and Fisher is flying under the radar. He could play right tackle or guard. He provides depth for a year or work his way into the starting lineup. Herremans and Cherilus have both battled injuries over the last couple of years. 

61.) Nelson Agholor WR USC

To good to pass up at #61. Great speed and great route runner who has modeled his game after Reggie Wayne. A great #2 WR in the making. Hopefully will get a year of tutelage under Andre Johnson. 

109.) Adrian Amos S Penn State

Great size and athleticism. Stats have not matched his potential. We have to improve the safety position, and I am not sure if it will happen in free agency. Regardless, Amos offers improved depth. 

125.) Jacorey Shepherd CB Kansas

Provides upgraded depth over Josh Gordy.

157.) Jake Ryan ILB Michigan

Tested well at combine, good size at 6'3" and roughly 240lbs. Upgrades depth and gets a year of grooming before competing for a starting job. It looks like Freeman and Jackson will start at ILB in 2015. 

189.) Davis Tull OLB Chattanooga

I like this guy, but he doesn't seem like a perfect fit for our D. He was hampered by an injury at the combine, but has the athleticism to compete and absolutely dominated a lower level of competition. Worth a look, could convert to ILB or add depth on the outside 

191.) Greg Mancz C Toledo

I am all for improving our depth on the offensive line. Mancz has potential at center and guard. I want to believe that Holmes is our future at the position, but he is injury prone and Harrison is mistake prone.