Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still in Mourning Mock Draft

I am still hurting and coming to grips with no more Colts football. I am hoping a mock draft will help me cope.

I have not looked too in depth at free agents. It doesn't seem like there are too many game breakers that we will have a shot at.

Philosophy: I am hoping we trade back to accumulate picks. It seems like the middle rounds will offer solid talent with intriguing promise.

2.) Paul Dawson LB TCU - 6'2" 240 lbs

I am projecting two trades back to pick up two fourth round picks. I can see a team like Oakland trading up to select Maxx Williams TE Minnesota (imagine Amari Cooper and Maxx Williams teaming with Carr). I could then see a team like Cleveland trading up to take the best offensive player available (Gurley?); The Colts have to upgrade the D, and that starts by elevating the ILB play; Freeman is a free agent and I read the other day he will likely get a one year tender, Dawson's stock has been skyrocketing, he is taller than what we currently have and offers us a playmaker on the interior.

2.) Jacoby Glenn CB Central Florida - 6'0" 185 lbs

Glenn is a redshirt sophomore who was a Second Team All American for an underrated Central Florida D. He had 7 interceptions and roughly 18 pass breakups. He is evidently great in press coverage. Darius Butler is a free agent this year and Toler is a free agent next year. Glenn could start at nickel, with the potential to start next year.

3.) Jaquiski Tartt S Samford - 6'1" 220 lbs

We absolutely must improve the safety position. I would give Devin McCourty from NE a good long hard look in the offseason. I have no idea how much money he wants, but if we don't re-sign Buter and we cut Landry, perhaps we can find some ways to free up some money. Tartt is having a strong Senior Bowl but seems like a guy who could use a year to adjust to the pro game. Hopefully, we can resign Adams to a one year deal and let Tartt cut his teeth on special teams next season.

4.) (Oak) Phillip Dorsett WR Miami - 5'10" 185 lbs

There is some talent in this year's class and Dorsett may end up going higher than this, but Dorsett seems to me like a bigger version of Hilton. He has outstanding speed and is a good route runner. With Wayne likely retiring and not being the same talent regardless and Nicks having an inconsistent year, I would be all for bringing in a talent like Dorsett.

4. (Cle) David Johnson RB Northern Iowa - 6'1" 224 lbs

I would love to improve the talent at running back. Johnson is a small school talent who is rising up draft boards. Tremendous size with nice burst. He is a guy to keep an eye on. I really like Zurlon Tipton, and Boom Herron finished the year nicely, but we need a serious upgrade.

4.) Lynden Trail OLB Norfolk State - 6'6" 260 lbs

Trail is a small school guy who offers loads of potential. He is apparently having a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl. He offers great size and pass rush potential. He may not be an immediate contributor, but similar to Tartt, if we can give him a year to get a feel for the pro game, we may have someone who can team with Newsome to give us a great pass rush tandem moving forward.

5.) John Crockett RB North Dakota State - 6'0" 210 lbs

This pick is more a case of best player available than a pick of need. I honestly feel our stable of running backs is among the worst in the league and needs an infusion of young talent. Crockett is coming off a strong week of practice for the Shrine Game. He offers great size and potential.

6.) Ladarius Gunter CB Miami (FL) - 6'0" 200 lbs

Good size and press cover ability. Bring in some competition for Josh Gordy at the 4th corner spot.

7.) Rob Havenstein OT Wisconsin - 6'7" 330 lbs

Evidently Havenstein is somewhat of a project at offensive tackle. He would offer some potential and good competition for a backup tackle spot. I am interested in seeing what Ulrick John has to offer coming off an injury. Hopefully we can bring in a free agent to compete for the right guard spot.