Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne is 8th in career receiving yards...

Dr. Guildo

Grigson said he tried to re-sgin Garcon and there were reports before free agency started that Garcon rejected a big offer from the Colts.  Once Garcon signed with the Colts a deal between the Colts and Reggie was reached quickly.  It did not drag on for a very long time like you said.  It was done within five hours of free agency starting and even Grigson has said negation really picked up after Garcon turned down their deal. 

Yes Pagano called Reggie, I never said he didn't.  Smart move on Pagano's part.  I am sure their relationship didn't hurt.  I am not doubting any of that.  What I am doubting is that it took a long time for a deal to get done with Reggie.  It didn't.  With that said yes Reggie had a choice to make but it didn't come down to playing with Manning in Miami or staying with the Colts. Reggie spilled the beans on his own radio show when he said it came down to the Colts or Pats and in the end he just felt like he was a Colt.  If Reggie ever floated the idea of ever playing with Manning in Miami it was long gone by the time Reggie made the decision as Manning never really considered Miami as a place he would sign. 

Also, if you are talking about what happened in 2011 that has little to do with my original post and I don't understand why you quoted me as I was talking about what I think will happen at season's end not revisiting what happened in 2011 other than to simply say that if Reggie didn't leave in 2011 if he still wants to play at seasons end I don't see why he would want to leave now. 

As to what happened in 2011 you are right it's a fact the Colts never released Reggie.  He was a free agent.  If someone said he was released I will given them the benefit of the doubt and say the miss spoke. 

I didn't say it was drawn out for a very long time. I quoted a bunch of posters who were weighing in on the topic.  The fact that Garcon signed with Washington doesn't mean he was 1a and Reggie was 1b -- Reggie actively spoke about playing with Peyton in MIA, and it didn't work out.  My point was Reggie was never released and I don't think the Colts ever wanted him gone -- Reggie had many options and some of the 'long time' you are talking about was just the period where free agents couldn't be signed -- he may have narrowed it down to 2, but the only point I was trying to make was if the Colts didn't want Reggie he could have gone elsewhere -- more aimed at wesd.  I agree with your post that I quoted -- if Reggie wants to stay, he will.

I didn't say it was drawn out for a very long time. I quoted a bunch of posters who were weighing in on the topic.  The fact that Garcon signed with Washington doesn't mean he was 1a and Reggie was 1b -- Reggie actively spoke about playing with Peyton in MIA, and it didn't work out.  My point was Reggie was never released and I don't think the Colts ever wanted him gone -- Reggie had many options and some of the 'long time' you are talking about was just the period where free agents couldn't be signed -- he may have narrowed it down to 2, but the only point I was trying to make was if the Colts didn't want Reggie he could have gone elsewhere -- probably aimed at another poster (wesd).

Everyone who followed the Colts at the time said Garcon was their main target and it's their job to know what the Colts are doing or thinking.  Grigson pretty much confirmed it by saying negations with Reggie picked up after Garcon signed. 

Like I said if Reggie ever talked about playing Manning in Miami it was never very serous because Manning never considered going to Miami at least not seriously and that was decided long before Reggie could start taking offers from other teams.  Also, tampering rules would have prevented from those talks from being very serious.  There is no promise that had Miami landed Manning that they would have turned around and signed Reggie.  I can see why people would say well yes they would but it's no promise and not enough that Reggie and Manning would have been able to bank on being a package deal.  Again, the fact that Manning didn't even really talk to Miami very seriously means that while Reggie might have said hey man what do you think about doing this that it went anywhere beyond that.

Anyone who doubts other teams had interest in Reggie Wayne in 2011 is very mistaken. 

You did say the following:

-- the fact that it took Reggie so long to resign with us that year was based on 2 things: (1) Reggie was testing the market and (2) there were a few days where we didn't have a GM after Polian got fired -- not like we could have signed Reggie without one of them.

First of Reggie couldn't test the market until free agency started or the Colts would have been able to file some very serious tampering charges.  Once the market opened Reggie re-signed within five hours so no it didn't take him that long to re-sign with the Colts.  Also, Grigson was in place long before free agent talks really started even with players on their own team so the point about Polian getting fired doesn't really matter.  Again, while I am sure Grigson and Wayne's agent might have talked Grigson said talks didn't really get serious with Reggie until after Garcon elected not to re-sign with the Colts.  So based on that time table from Grigson I think the reason you didn't see the Colts re-sign before free agency started was because they were going to try to keep the young WR in Garcon to go with Luck.  Once they lost option A Grigson quickly pivoted to option B which was Wayne.  Personally I am glad how things worked out. 

Everyone who followed the Colts at the time said Garcon was their main target and it's their job to know what the Colts are doing or thinking.  Grigson pretty much confirmed it by saying negations with Reggie picked up after Garcon signed. 

Like I said if Reggie ever talked about playing Manning in Miami it was never very serous because Manning never considered going to Miami at least not seriously and that was decided long before Reggie could start taking offers from other teams.  Also, tampering rules would have prevented from those talks from being very serious.  There is no promise that had Miami landed Manning that they would have turned around and signed Reggie.  I can see why people would say well yes they would but it's no promise and not enough that Reggie and Manning would have been able to bank on being a package deal.  Again, the fact that Manning didn't even really talk to Miami very seriously means that while Reggie might have said hey man what do you think about doing this that it went anywhere beyond that.

Anyone who doubts other teams had interest in Reggie Wayne in 2011 is very mistaken. 

You did say the following:

-- the fact that it took Reggie so long to resign with us that year was based on 2 things: (1) Reggie was testing the market and (2) there were a few days where we didn't have a GM after Polian got fired -- not like we could have signed Reggie without one of them.

First of Reggie couldn't test the market until free agency started or the Colts would have been able to file some very serious tampering charges.  Once the market opened Reggie re-signed within five hours so no it didn't take him that long to re-sign with the Colts.  Also, Grigson was in place long before free agent talks really started even with players on their own team so the point about Polian getting fired doesn't really matter.  Again, while I am sure Grigson and Wayne's agent might have talked Grigson said talks didn't really get serious with Reggie until after Garcon elected not to re-sign with the Colts.  So based on that time table from Grigson I think the reason you didn't see the Colts re-sign before free agency started was because they were going to try to keep the young WR in Garcon to go with Luck.  Once they lost option A Grigson quickly pivoted to option B which was Wayne.  Personally I am glad how things worked out. 

I'm glad that you're  happy with how things worked out, I already said I agree with you and never misquoted you. Can we quit arguing now?

Also, just for fun -- Reggie is #7 in all time receptions -- he has a very good shot at moving to #6 this year and if he plays 1 more year I think he's a lock to move into #3 all time (#2 as a WR, surpassing Marvin to be behind only Jerry Rice and Tony Gonzalez).  At this point in his career, if Reggie decides to continue playing, I don't see why he'd want to go anywhere besides Indy -- he's got a great chemistry with Luck and seemingly the rest of the team and there are not many other places in the NFL right now where he'd have a better shot at getting another ring while he adds some more personal honors to his HOF career.  http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm

I think the questions as to whether Reggie is, or isn't a HoF player were silly coming into this year... and should be over after this season. The man has had one hell of a career.

On pace for 86 catches and under 1000 yards.. reggie isnt a player teams have to game plan against anymore. Regg runs short underneath routes. He isnt a player that defenses worry about breaking tackles or has the speed to take one to the house.. so what let him catch his 7 8 yard pass. They just walk up and tackle him. Teams gameplan for t.y which leaves reggie open alot.. just imagine if we had one of the freeagent receivers i mentioned above.. teams would have to pick their poison. Fact of the matter is the team would benefit more without reggie.

Those short underneath routes he ran Monday night sure looked pretty crisp, and the old man was making some young whippersnappers look like fools. Reggie's next contract should have no effect on if we can land any free agents let alone the ones you mentioned above... and you don't know what will happen with those guys in the off season. This team will have plenty of cap space to make whatever moves they need to make. I for one can Imagine what it would be like to see guys like that playing along side a great leader like Reggie Wayne.

depends what we decide to do with reggie

I think he'll get a Mathis deal. 2016 will be the great send off for us, as the last 2 players from the Manning era (Costanzo doesn't count lol) play their last season. Reggie will have HoF numbers when its all said and done.

Weeelll.. i dont think we will.. but i also dont think that anyone here honestly thought they would let peyton go either. So its hard to say

Apples and oranges. Reggie wouldn't be nearly as expensive and we wouldn't be looking at a "Reggie OR someone else" like we did with "Manning OR Luck." You only have 1 QB, you can have multiple WRs.

No, we never let him go. He wasn't cut, his contract was up. Almost signing some place means nothing, even if that were true.

What question?

Reggie was never let go, but it was clear they wanted Garçon instead. We only made him an offer after Garçon turned his down.

I think that is what they are trying to get at.