Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1St And Goal.....why Not Run?

oldunclemark

Poor coaching. If we would if did a draw on 2nd down I think it would if been 6

Or it gets sniffed out in the backfield and we run out of time anyway.

They made the call based on what they saw. You guys are asking this in hindsight, which means you were not screaming at the television/players/coaches when you saw the team line up for a pass.

What they're doing is playing to the unexpected, rather than their strengths. For example, the defense would not expect a Curtis Painter short touchdown throw, so a pass seems like the right call, since the defense is too preoccupied in the box. Unfortunately, what the coaching staff does not realize is Painter sucks so bad that the unexpected is not working in their favor. They're better off just playing to their strengths, try to out-muscle the opposing team, and run it in.

This is one of the things that boggles my mind. Manning goes down and this team acts like Painter is just going to step in and play just like him. They do not change up the offense to be more run heavy especially against one of the worst defenses in the league. Instead they just throw, throw, and throw some more.

I swear if this coaching staff was coaching the Jags in the 275 game they would have kept trying to throw the ball instead of feed MJD and Taylor.

Why not run most of the time? The Panther run defense is nearly as bad as the Colt run defense.

Their coaches were smart enough to exploit a Colt defensive weakness.

Our coaches were dumb enough to try to exploit a Colt offensive weakness.

Bingo, I said going in that if this staff was'nt smart enough to run the 75% of the time in this game, well never mind it has become very obvious.

Two weeks to prepare for Carolina and the best we can do is dive right, dive left and an incomplete dink over the middle for a three and out? AND THEN DO IT AGAIN? 6 offensive plays in the entire first quarter? Then to make sure we understood what we saw they did it again to open the second half!

What did this coaching staff do during the bye week to plan for this Carolina game?

Two weeks to prepare for Carolina and the best we can do is dive right, dive left and an incomplete dink over the middle for a three and out? AND THEN DO IT AGAIN? 6 offensive plays in the entire first quarter? Then to make sure we understood what we saw they did it again to open the second half!

What did this coaching staff do during the bye week to plan for this Carolina game?

Don't forget our signature play, the bubble screen.

Worked on their resume's I hope.

They made the call based on what they saw. You guys are asking this in hindsight, which means you were not screaming at the television/players/coaches when you saw the team line up for a pass.

There was plenty of time left to do one running play and I was screeming at the tv. Painter played awful all game and the running game played well so to me the logical idea is to atleast run it once not pass 3 times considering we are awful all day passing. Just my opinion

It's the same logic that was behind throwing the 40 yard bomb in the previous drive that was picked off in the endzone when the running game and short passes had the offense moving along fine. Was it just me, or was anyone else 90% sure that drive would end in a pick? (BTW, coming into this game, Painter had completed 5 of 15 passes thrown over 20 yards.... But what the heck, bombs away!)

There was 1:00 minute left on the clock right? We were definitely not out of time. I agree that we should have ran the ball, maybe a draw play on 1st or 2nd down, but that non-holding call was bad and cost us a 1st down at the 1 yard line.

To be fair, bringing in a Full Back was an obvious adjustment, and it worked! So it's not a surprise that at the most critical moments Caldwell would let Painter run the offense in 2 min mode and botch it. Dude is seriously one of the least accurate passers I can recall.

It's the same logic that was behind throwing the 40 yard bomb in the previous drive that was picked off in the endzone when the running game and short passes had the offense moving along fine. Was it just me, or was anyone else 90% sure that drive would end in a pick? (BTW, coming into this game, Painter had completed 5 of 15 passes thrown over 20 yards.... But what the heck, bombs away!)

lol,why not!

To be fair, bringing in a Full Back was an obvious adjustment, and it worked! So it's not a surprise that at the most critical moments Caldwell would let Painter run the offense in 2 min mode and botch it. Dude is seriously one of the least accurate passers I can recall.

I thought the fullback was big factor in Brown gaining some of his yards..