Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would YOU have traded a draft pick and Fleener for Mankins?

JPFolks

That's where we disagree.  IMO, that trade is way in the Pats favor.  Like I said earlier, Fleener and a possible draft pick for a guy like Cordy Glenn, Kaleche Osemele, Kevin Zeitler etc...then we can talk.

That's what I feel I'm banging head against the wall with... it's not the idea of trading I object to, it's the idea of making such an abjectly bad one!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I feel I'm banging head against the wall with... it's not the idea of trading I object to, it's the idea of making such an abjectly bad one!

People had the same argument about DeMarcus Ware. Yes, he was a free agent but the Broncos essentially let Decker walk so they could add a player who could help in an area of need. They got older. Ware isn't the player he used to be but he is better than anyone else available. Elway got him. That is the difference and Denver will probably get to another Super Bowl because of that and the signing of Talib, Ward and Sanders and dropping Decker and Champ Bailey. Good management compared to chicken ****.

People had the same argument about DeMarcus Ware. Yes, he was a free agent but the Broncos essentially let Decker walk so they could add a player who could help in an area of need. They got older. Ware isn't the player he used to be but he is better than anyone else available. Elway got him. That is the difference and Denver will probably get to another Super Bowl because of that and the signing of Talib, Ward and Sanders and dropping Decker and Champ Bailey. Good management compared to chicken ****.

you don't think that has anything at all to do with the fact that Manning is 38 do you?  His window of opportunity is just a teensy bit shorter than Luck's.  

you don't think that has anything at all to do with the fact that Manning is 38 do you?  His window of opportunity is just a teensy bit shorter than Luck's.  

I very much agree with that and I said as much in another post but I also pointed out that Luck's window was going to get shorter quickly if nothing is done about all of the big hits he is taking.

Fair enough I guess we'll never agree on this particular one. I'm not against improving the Oline, I just don't this particular transaction was the right way to do it. Watching the 2012 season was wince inducing watching the punishment that Luck took and when you've invested your entire future by releasing possible the GOAT and bringing in Luck it does seem suicidal to hang him out to dry. We've had a very bad combination of injuries and guys just not working out as we'd hoped. The plus side is we've got 3 guys on the inside who could develop to be a very strong unit, only time will tell. 

Fair enough I guess we'll never agree on this particular one. I'm not against improving the Oline, I just don't this particular transaction was the right way to do it. Watching the 2012 season was wince inducing watching the punishment that Luck took and when you've invested your entire future by releasing possible the GOAT and bringing in Luck it does seem suicidal to hang him out to dry. We've had a very bad combination of injuries and guys just not working out as we'd hoped. The plus side is we've got 3 guys on the inside who could develop to be a very strong unit, only time will tell. 

I agree with what you say here. I have wondered if we should have just drafted Luck and then all offensive linemen until we were sure we had enough to protect him. I guess we would still have had to go through the development process even if that had been done. I don't think the issue with whether or not this deal should have been pursued but if any deal should have been investigated. I think it is clear that we should or should have done that.

I very much agree with that and I said as much in another post but I also pointed out that Luck's window was going to get shorter quickly if nothing is done about all of the big hits he is taking.

And I agree with that...however, we can do that without having to trade away an up and coming, very talented TE for an aging, probably on the downslide OG.

I agree with what you say here. I have wondered if we should have just drafted Luck and then all offensive linemen until we were sure we had enough to protect him. I guess we would still have had to go through the development process even if that had been done. I don't think the issue with whether or not this deal should have been pursued but if any deal should have been investigated. I think it is clear that we should or should have done that.

Well I wouldn't say draft all offensive linemen after Luck lol, but I've thought the same thing.  Honestly on draft day, as much as I like Fleener, I was hoping he would get drafted before the Colts pick because I knew they would take him if he was there and I would have rather had OL or defense at that spot.  I like Fleener A LOT, probably as much or more than anyone else on the board and I don't feel that he's untouchable by any means, I just want to make sure we would get equal compensation back if we were to trade him away.  

But back to the draft, after that draft was over I was actually very unhappy.  The only pick I was really excited about was Chapman.  Other than that it was mostly skill players which seemed very much like the Polian way to build a team.  I was hoping for Cordy Glenn (small part of me wanted Upshaw) and we could have still gone with OL in the 3rd (it would have required a trade up, but I would have loved to have gotten Glenn and Kaleche Osemele), and then again late.  That way we would have had talented young OL guys developing alongside Luck and if it meant scouring the waiver wires looking for skill players to get through that first year then so be it.  Even if it meant someone like Ramses Barden would have been the #1 WR. lol  

But, at the same time, that would have put a lot of youth as protection in front of Luck, which is actually where we kind of our now as far as the interior OL is concerned.  But instead they chose to go with the stop gaps at OL and draft the skill players to develop with Luck.  The difference here being that, while less talented, the OL in front of him was at least more experienced.  One thing I've gotten from the current FO and coaching staff is that they place a high value on experience.