Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Say We Optout Of Drafting Luck

Brett Snyder

Do we still draft a QB?

If so (which is pretty much a must), who and what round? Will he be another Painter type? (5th Rounder or Lower), or be a 2nd Round Kevin Kolb situation pick?

I've been thinking alot about what we should/could/will do. I have a feeling that if Peyton is ready to go, then we (as in Polian) skip on Luck.

I think if we pass on Luck (which would be stupid), we don't draft a QB at all. You have the best QB in front of you, and you pass on him, so it shows you that they don't want a QB. So if there's no Luck, there's nobody else.

But if they think the other guys are on the same level they get more value trading the pick.

Luck looked pretty weak against Oregon. Unless he does something special in the next couple of months I'm gonna hold off on buying into the hype unless we actually draft him.

drafting is about price and grade u know what i mean

lets say that this is the grades ok just saying

Andrew Luck - 9.7

Matt Barkley - 9.5

Landry Jones - 9.4

Ryan Tannehill - 9.2

Robert Griffin - 9.2

ok lets say that this our the grades right, but the draft each is this

luck - 1

barkley - 1 - 5

jones - 5- 10

tannehill - 10 - 15

griffin - 15 - 20

this is what you need to draft them

if luck can get you a top five pick, this year second,this year 4th, next years first and 3rd from what one would think is a bad team meaning that those picks would be high the next year

would it be worth say

luck with is 9.7 to a guy like barkley with is a 9.5

an possible set your team up for years with all them high picks?

I think a guy like Kirk Cousins would be worthwhile in the 3rd (I have him as a 2nd-3rd rounder). He's a smart player who actually reads defenses pretty well and doesn't tend to lock onto receivers. His mechanics need work, but he can keep cool under pressure and is pretty accurate. I think pocket presence, decision making, and short and mid range accuracy are key for backup QBs, and I think Cousins shows all of these at solid levels.

Could he then be the QB of the future? Maybe. At the 3rd round level, you're not investing too hugely into the guy. I think he has a high upside and certainly could be a starter, but I'm not sure you have to worry about that if Peyton is back at full health. If that's the case, I'm not sure you take a guy when Peyton has a decent while left. It all depends on Peyton's health. If Peyton is healthy enough, you look at a backup who might be able to go down the line. If not, then you take Luck. IF they pass on Luck, I assume they are confident Peyton is back, so you take that back-up.

Which is why he only throws to BJ Cunningham half the time, right? Sorry, I just haven't seen enough out of Kirk Cousins

I'm going to rewatch some of the MSU games, but I did notice that during the OSU game. Nonetheless, I think he's certainly improved on that a good deal this year. I also noticed happy feet in that game, leading to much worse technique and he threw off his back foot a good deal.. I'm not there yet, but I might consider changing my choice.

Colts could probably rip two other teams Off such as the Dolphins or Vikings who are in desperate need of QBs. However it would only be worth it for basically multi first rounders and or some solid players. I've heard some people even just throw out 1 extra first round pick screw that.

Fish +1

I think we take Luck, if we don't take luck, I DO NOT want us spending a decnet pick (anything earlier that the 5th round) on a QB. We are then only drafting a backup, and I would much rather we find someone else to sit behind peyton, or just keep painter. We will not win games with any backup qb's. Use our draft to get peyton's successor or use it to give him talent to win games.

drafting is about price and grade u know what i mean

lets say that this is the grades ok just saying

Andrew Luck - 9.7

Matt Barkley - 9.5

Landry Jones - 9.4

Ryan Tannehill - 9.2

Robert Griffin - 9.2

ok lets say that this our the grades right, but the draft each is this

luck - 1

barkley - 1 - 5

jones - 5- 10

tannehill - 10 - 15

griffin - 15 - 20

this is what you need to draft them

if luck can get you a top five pick, this year second,this year 4th, next years first and 3rd from what one would think is a bad team meaning that those picks would be high the next year

would it be worth say

luck with is 9.7 to a guy like barkley with is a 9.5

an possible set your team up for years with all them high picks?

Great post and agree. You have to find the best combination of both talent and value and imo that is not Luck.

And to those saying Luck or no one at all....that is completely absurd. This is shaping up to be one of the better QB classes in years. There are easily 5-10 prospects with plenty of talent and potential to be a franchise QB. This type of comment "I want Luck or no one at all" sounds like the little kid who wants to take his ball and go home when he doesn't get his way. :rolleyes: