Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerrell Freeman ranked #2 as most productive ILB/MLB pass rushing

TKnight24

True, but I see no reason why we wouldn't give him a 1st round tender.  We could save ourselves a few bucks by going with a lower tender and depending on our right of first refusal.  But honestly it doesn't seem to me that cap space is gonna be a problem next year and I'd honestly rather protect our rights to him with a first round tender which almost guarantees that no one will try to price us out of him.  (And to TBH if someone wanted to give us a first for Freeman I'd probably take it anyways.)

There are some pretty good players that have only managed to get 2nd Rd. tenders.  Freeman has been a quality starter and may have a very good year, but as of today he is just a solid ascending player.  It is very unlikely that he'll do anything this year to justify a 1st Rd. tender.  Historically, there isn't much action on 2nd Rd level guys anyway - they are basically locked up - and it approximates his expected contribution.  Grigs would take the 2nd round pick in all likelihood, as we'll be a team needing to emphasize players on rookie contracts by then anyway.

An additive school of thought to this is that you have to churn your ILB group until you can settle on probowl playmakers like Bowman/Willis.  You don't pay anyone a premium at ILB unless you are bridging a gap (DQ Jax) or one of your own has established themselves with a significant performance delta in your system.  Paying average starter money for average starter production locks you into average, and the performance delta at LB between average and rookie up and comers is not that great - so save your money and try again.

True, but I see no reason why we wouldn't give him a 1st round tender.  We could save ourselves a few bucks by going with a lower tender and depending on our right of first refusal.  But honestly it doesn't seem to me that cap space is gonna be a problem next year and I'd honestly rather protect our rights to him with a first round tender which almost guarantees that no one will try to price us out of him.  (And to TBH if someone wanted to give us a first for Freeman I'd probably take it anyways.)

First round tender still isn't in line with his value, so we'd get him at a discount for another year. And then he doesn't hit free agency until he's 29, like you said. He's missing out on some money, but those are the breaks.

I agree; if someone wanted to give us a first rounder for Freeman, I'd take it.