Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Regardless of our team accomplishments this season

Valpo2004

The QB has to see over is O-Line. Centers at 6'3 ish with thick sturdy legs that can get low and anchor, Guards 6'4 ish built likewise, and slightly taller Long armed Tackles are just a preferred formula.

Taller QB`s are prefered for just this reason. Seems like QB height is talked about pretty often. ;)

Mewhorts Bio speaks of an issue against the bull rush and potential trouble with spee rushers at Guard. His height and lack of lower body thickness, and his slower feet compared to Elite type NFL guards seems like an obvious reason for this. Look at the height & build of high draft picks Warmack, and Cooper who went to AZ last year and Su-a-filo. It is the coveted build for a Top guard.  Carl Nicks, Iupati are among the best are 6'5 but 340`s and 330. Picture their builds. 

Did you see Emmitt running through 3yrd wide lanes behind Larry Allen & Nate Newton 20 ears ago. haha Still works!

Certainly doesn`t mean a tall guy can`t be a TOP C or G but his height would block the QB`s line of sight and he would certainly have to be one fine powerful athlete.  I see Mewhort body type and see the Linkster. But with every expectation that he actually has Solid starter in him. Certainly as a RT and even as a very functional G. Should he also work to be able to play C in a crunch Absolutely.

Remember BA had Sowell playing LTat AZ last season. :eek:  

As the dude from the old Bob ?Catterson car commercials used to say, "Nobody, but Nobody"  wants for us to be in a situation like that. Hence, Mewhort preparing himself to play 5 positions. sure. But get the T & G stuff down 1st. JMO of course

Are you kidding me with this response? I have been watching football for 30 years. This is unbelievable.

Our quarterback is 6'4" and he is standing straight up while linemen are bending most of the time. He can see over the line just fine.

There's only one area that Grigson deserves criticism for and that's the number of trades.  I think he's already realizing this and that's why we didn't trade up in this draft.  The Vontae Davis trade worked perfectly and I think that, combined with Grigson being new and excited, has made for some poor choices in trades since then.  Most notably, of course, being giving up a first rounder this year for Richardson.  I think Hughes can end up being a solid rotation guy on the line by next year, so he was a solid pickup for a fifth round pick, but with how deep this year's draft was, I'd have preferred to not have Hughes and have the draft pick.  The biggest reason people are down on this year's draft class for the Colts is because we only got 5 guys, and only 2 in the first 4 rounds.  You can be a draft genius and still not have spectacular results when you can only bring in 5 guys and 3 of them are late 5th round and later.

If I don't see some real contributions from at least some 2013 draft picks and 2014 draft picks then I'm going to start seriously questioning Grig's ability as a GM.

His drafting in 2012 and his decisions in 2012 off season where superb.  We got significant production out of everyone from the first to the 6th rounds.  

However the contributions of the 2013 draft class as well as the 2013 trades where lacking.  Certainly it takes more then 1 year of play to fully evaluate a drafted player though.

In terms of 2014 I felt like there where players on the board that would have made more sense for us in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  However time will tell on that and I'm willing to wait and watch before passing final judgement.

That said if we don't get some significant start seeing significant production out of several players that were added from 2013 off-season on it would to me be troubling.  Especially when it comes to players selected in the first 3 rounds.  

If that is the case what I'm afraid of is the possibility that Grigson is excellent at looking "under every rock" for talent but when it comes to the obvious picks, the big important ones in the first 3 rounds he can't seem to get that right.

And I think we need to look at this regardless of how the team does overall.  

agree. Sometimes I wonder if Grigs is just stubborn and doesn't pick the obvious and wants to find "that" player nobody else thought about. I said I "wonder" about it "sometimes", doesn't mean that's how I totally view Grigs. Its still really early in his tenure and he is entitled to make mistakes. Time will tell 

agree. Sometimes I wonder if Grigs is just stubborn and doesn't pick the obvious and wants to find "that" player nobody else thought about. I said I "wonder" about it "sometimes", doesn't mean that's how I totally view Grigs. Its still really early in his tenure and he is entitled to make mistakes. Time will tell 

That's something I worry about, but I don't study the tape nor is my full time job football related.  Heck for all we know Mewhart could have been rated higher by most GM's.  (We have to remember that how the media, public and draftniks rate players is completely different then how GM's rate the players.)

To be fair on the other hand Werner was probably the highest rated player at his position when we drafted him, so it didn't seem that Grigs got too creative there.  

It is easy to look back and say we did great in the 2012 draft because we had a gutted team. Our team learned a lot about themselves that year with Chuck getting sick and everyone rallying behind him.

On to 2013, I think we hit on 4 of our 7 picks and are still progressing as players. Our free agency was ok but, many think we overpaid players. The team began learning its second offense in two years(never good but, sometimes necessary). We made a bold trade for a young, promising RB to develop alongside of Luck and it didn't work out given the circumstances. TRich was blindsided by the trade and almost all of his help went down. I believe that his shortcomings were a product of not knowing the offense very well and when a play was called for him to go left... he went left even if there was nothing there for him. Brown obviously was more comfortable with the situation and was able to improvise to a great season.

Now it is 2014, we are tied with the least amount of picks in franchise history. We need help in a lot of areas after some departures and not signing some guys back to the team. The draft was not sexy at all for us but, we got much of what we needed and we are not done yet! Our free agency was great IMO. We kept most of the people we needed to keep and added some very sexy names. We also added Chudzinski to help Pep make the offense spin like a top.

For the first time in three years we will be running the same offense we did the season before. The defense is steadily getting better each year. Players are coming back from injuries and are optimistic. 

We should be as optimistic as they are and not sit in our chairs and look back saying "They could have done this differently!" Our team is the best it has ever been in the past three years and some of us are looking back unhappily wishing it were different!? We have steadily gotten further into the playoffs and that is with a bunch of key players on IR! 

With an offense like ours... our defense can afford a bit of time to develop. Just imagine what the defense can do if the offense truly can become a power running, clock managing offense. They won't have to be on the field as much and when they are on the field they will be rushing the passer relentlessly, dropping back, and picking off passes from the likes of Locker, Henne, and Fitzpatrick(?).

The OP is overly concerned IMO. The best part has yet to come, my friend! Enjoy these times! 

My concern is mainly that we could have a GM that isn't good at drafting unless he has the pick of the litter.  But unless Luck get's hurt we'll likely not have the pick of the liter again.  

To be fair, in 2013 it felt like he overpaid a lot of FA's.  This year it didn't feel like he really overpaid anyone.  The closest you could say is maybe Davis was a little overpaid, but I don't think so.  He's one of the better CB's in the league and the market clearly demanded a big contract for him as that's what other CB's of his caliber were getting.  The fact that we didn't re-sign Davis until the last minute seems to indicate to me that he was trying to avoid paying that much for him.  

There's only one area that Grigson deserves criticism for and that's the number of trades.  I think he's already realizing this and that's why we didn't trade up in this draft.  The Vontae Davis trade worked perfectly and I think that, combined with Grigson being new and excited, has made for some poor choices in trades since then.  Most notably, of course, being giving up a first rounder this year for Richardson.  I think Hughes can end up being a solid rotation guy on the line by next year, so he was a solid pickup for a fifth round pick, but with how deep this year's draft was, I'd have preferred to not have Hughes and have the draft pick.  The biggest reason people are down on this year's draft class for the Colts is because we only got 5 guys, and only 2 in the first 4 rounds.  You can be a draft genius and still not have spectacular results when you can only bring in 5 guys and 3 of them are late 5th round and later.

I can't speak for everyone, but I do not have a single issue with this years draft (2014). Grigson has done his homework, he took some gambles, and I am all in. I like that we improved our offensive line. I like that we addressed the receiver position this year instead of waiting for next year. I am happy that we did not trade any picks and we stuck with our 5 we had this year. 

We have some promising young talent from the 2014 draft , and even without a first round pick, we improved our team. No complaints here. We will see how the draft picks work out over the next year, and have a better gauge of what we can expect from them after the 2014 season is over.

Unlike last season (2013 draft picks), we will likely see a spark from the players we drafted. Andrew Jackson and Jonathan Newsome will at the very least contribute on special teams this season. Moncrief will have some opportunities on offense to showcase his skills. Mewhort will likely figure into the plan somewhere along the line and at least see some action. John is probably a practice squad player. These are realistic expectations.